The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Just handled my baby corn snake for the first time

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16/04/2010 : 15:20:48
I got her about three weeks ago, she's had two feeds already and is settling in nicely. Today I got her out of the faun to handle her for the first time - only for a couple of minutes as I didn't want to overdo it. She was very inquisitive and relaxed, which I took to be a good sign. I'm so in love!
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 18/04/2010 : 11:41:43
Thanks Kellog! She seems happy to be handled, I'd planned on handling once a day for about 5 minutes for the next week or so, then gradually working up. She doesn't quite have a name yet, I'm still getting to know her... I have a shortlist of a few choices. Shall let you all know when I decide!
Kellog Posted - 18/04/2010 : 04:33:20
quote:
Originally posted by scarlettdecourcier

How often should I handle her? Obviously not the day she's being fed or for a couple of days after that, but other than that, is it ok to handle daily for a little while, or should I leave her alone for a few days at a time? She's now coming out of her hide to say hello when I turn the light on in the bedroom, it's really sweet!

I have never had baby snakes Scarlett, but as I have mentioned before my 2nd corn was not very well treated and therefore not particularly handlable when I first got him....so I went back to basics.

I would suggest that you handle her (has she got a name yet?) for 5/10 minutes a day, maybe twice a day. Repeat again and again and again....(except for 48hrs after eating of course!)....and you will begin to notice a difference in her behaviour when you get her out and as she gets used to being handled and will begin to tolerate it. As she gets used to it so will you and your confidence will grow. You can then lengthen the amount of time you have her out and allow her to begin to explore your body and then around you...but that is a long way off. With both my adults I try and handle them twice a day but never for more than 30 minutes, no matter how much they try and avoid going back in their vivs!

At the moment it is a case of quality not quantity.

xxx

n/a Posted - 17/04/2010 : 21:38:10
have my snake out for the first time tonight had to take the hides out snake was nervious at first but as soon as i had in my hand it was fine and it moved though my hands and was happy had it out for about 10 mins and as soon as i put her back it dived for cover.
n/a Posted - 17/04/2010 : 20:49:40
Kazzaboobers, good luck with Sookie, she's a beautiful snake!

How often should I handle her? Obviously not the day she's being fed or for a couple of days after that, but other than that, is it ok to handle daily for a little while, or should I leave her alone for a few days at a time? She's now coming out of her hide to say hello when I turn the light on in the bedroom, it's really sweet!
Sizzlesmum Posted - 17/04/2010 : 20:42:00
Congrats

So pleased it went so well!
Kazzaboobers Posted - 17/04/2010 : 13:23:37
Thank you guys and sorry to nick the thread a little - i am going to put her box in their i think but wont be able too until the silicone is dry which wont be till tomorrow afternoon anyway - tumm tee tumm tee tumm
HannahB Posted - 17/04/2010 : 11:31:57
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaboobers

I'm so jealous for 2 nights now I have put my hand in my new snakes box and she has come over and had a sniff and then hid back into her hide - kind of dont know wether to push it and get the hide out or just leave her bee - we are just in the middle of building a new 2ft viv for her as she is def far too big for the box we were sold but it wont be ready for at least a few days and of course i dont really want to unsettle her again byt getting her another new home - i could stick the box inside the viv and just let her wonder out if she wants i guess - But i so want a hold lol

going to hijack the thread slightly
when her new viv is built if you put some of the substrate that shes been on in her old tub in with the new stuff and use the same hides ect it wont be a totally new place for her.. it will have some of the old smells and some new ones for her so you wont have to leave her for a full week..of course you can if you want to but personally id leave her for about 5
you could handle her to transfer her over or you could put her box in it and let her make her own way out..it up to you
Kellog Posted - 17/04/2010 : 03:31:59
I am so glad your first handling session went so well Scarlett. It is very positive that she was so inquisitive and relaxed....and a lot of that will have to do with you being calm and patient with her, not nervous and jumpy - so well done ! The hardest thing now is not to overdo it with her....remember, quality not quantity!

quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaboobers

I'm so jealous for 2 nights now I have put my hand in my new snakes box and she has come over and had a sniff and then hid back into her hide - kind of dont know wether to push it and get the hide out or just leave her bee - we are just in the middle of building a new 2ft viv for her as she is def far too big for the box we were sold but it wont be ready for at least a few days and of course i dont really want to unsettle her again byt getting her another new home - i could stick the box inside the viv and just let her wonder out if she wants i guess - But i so want a hold lol

I know you are desperate for a hold and it isnt surprising! It is a good sign that Sookie is happy for you to have your hand in her box and comes to have a sniff. It may very well be that you will have to take the hide out/off to be able to handle her....not all snakes will come to you to be handled. I know with mine a lot of the time if I didnt take their hides off them I wouldnt get to handle them at all !

As for her move into the big viv, I am afraid that I dont have any experience with little ones and moving them up....but I do know that another forum member did what you suggested and put the box into the viv and allowed their snake to come out at its own speed.

She is going to be unsettled however you do this and will need a time to readjust to her new home, again. So I am afraid that it is probably best to have another hands-off period once you have moved her, although maybe not for as long as a week. You can make the viv more 'hers' by putting in the substrate from her box so it already has her smell and obviously using the hides she already has anything else that she is already used to.

I know how much you want a hold, but it is for her benefit that you are not doing it and therefore worth it in the long run.

xxx

Kazzaboobers Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:38:12
kdlang Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:34:34
So pleased it went well for you. It really is a wonderful experience.
herriotfan Posted - 16/04/2010 : 18:42:45
I know just how you feel. It's amazing isn't it......
n/a Posted - 16/04/2010 : 17:08:06
They are amazing creatures - really glad the first hold went so well for you - hopefully a good sign of things to come.

You're right about them being addictive - we vowed only to have 1! That 1 escaped so we replaced it with 2. Now escapee has come home after 7 months and we have 3! Couldn't be happier!
n/a Posted - 16/04/2010 : 15:26:15
They're lovely! I want more already! I can really see how this snake-keeping thing gets addictive.
mozacchio Posted - 16/04/2010 : 15:24:27
Aren't they amazing?
I love the feeling of them slithering through my fingers..!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000