The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Corn snakes as childrens pets

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LucyB Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:04:49
I'm new to this forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. My son (6) has been asking for a snake forever and having done lots and lots of research I am beginning to seriously consider the idea. I have always been fascinated by snakes, if a little nervous of them and if we did get a corn snake it would obviously be my responsibility/pet in reality despite officially being my sons pet. He would be supervised at all times with it and i would help him with all the care. My only concern is that i have read in numerous places that corn snakes are fast moving and 'skittish' and wanted opinions please on whether a corn would be managable enough for a 6yr old to handle under the full supervision of a total snake beginner (ie me!). Any opinions/advice appreciated!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 15/04/2010 : 18:19:04
Shirley Aquatics is one of my regular places to go. In fact, I'll getting my lot's food from there tomorrow!
elament Posted - 15/04/2010 : 15:17:44
Yep agree totally there with everything Mike has said. Go for an adult or at least a yearling. I got my biggest corn Colin for my autistic son as the tactile nature of a snake was something that appealed to him. Colin was a yearling and around 24" long and he was chosen from a group of about 6 corns all about the same age. If you go down the shop route choose a shop that has a good selection of snakes as they are not all the same. Some of them can be placid whilst others can be really fiesty. One of the ones Ethan chose colin from almost leapt out of its rub when the lid was lifted and immediately started hissing and rattling. To which i quickly said "Not that one" lol so if you can go somewhere that has a good choice where you can handle the snakes before you buy them.
Good luck I hope it all goes well because when it does Cornsnakes are brilliant pets for children. Very fascinating very interactive and fairly low maintainance.

cheers

steve
mikerichards Posted - 15/04/2010 : 12:06:14
An adult corn is your best bet, I am talking between 3 and 4 years old, they will be chunky, hopefully chilled and much more confident with you, that will then give you the confidence with him, which in turn will give you confidence with other snakes.
Young snakes, even up to about 18 months old really, can be very fast, and nervous, depending on previous handling.
I started off with adults, I have had plenty of babies too, adults like to explore for a bit then have a kip in a sleeve, babies tend to be in turbo mode from the first opportunity, until they are put back, they can also be nippy. Biting is a natural response, this is something you have to bear in mind, all snakes bite, some choose not to, others will go hell for leather to get you.
Young snakes tend to bite more often than adults, depending on the snake of course, although a baby bite will hardly leave you with a scratch, it does tend to make you jump, an adult however, will leave a few marks, and will break the skin, and although it does hurt, a little, its nothing like you expect, its all over almost before it starts! However, adults are far far less likely to bite, as they are more relaxed, they are used to being handled, and don't fear you as much, whereas babies tend to be more aggressive to try and make themselves big and scary, to avoid being eaten.
As your first snake, ans seeing as you all are inexperienced with snakes, an adult is a sensible choice, mostly for the reasons above, but also because they are less likely to get hurt through handling mistakes, they are also slower, and can easily be grabbed if they make a dash for it.

I hope that makes sense, and is useful for you.

One thing I want to stress, bites, bites happen at some point, and it really isn't that bad, its kinda like a lot of tiny pin pricks, but hurts less. The worst thing about the bite is the little hiss they do and the speed they move, its more shock that something can move so damn fast!
Mouse Posted - 15/04/2010 : 11:08:00
ah! :D
Kazzaboobers Posted - 15/04/2010 : 10:48:25
Nope Shirley Aquatics in Solihull West Midlands
Mouse Posted - 15/04/2010 : 09:53:41
@ Kazzaboobers - Shirley Aquatics in Southampton?
Kazzaboobers Posted - 15/04/2010 : 08:21:35
We are in exactly the same position as yourself - my 6 year old had been pestering my husband for ages about getting a snake - so we went to a local pet shop - Shirley Aquatics they were fantastic and we all held an adult King snake and then she got out an 18 month old corn so we could see the difference - we were advised not to get a hatchling for all the reason stated above but as the snake was going to be Hubbies and sons - we have ended up with a 10 month old which was slightly smaller than I would have wanted but I have now tuned into the main handler and for now son is happy to watch - especially the feeding lol - Good Luck xxx
Kellog Posted - 15/04/2010 : 04:08:44
I certainly agree with what has been said - that snakes are a great pet for children....especially considering the fear that is out there about them. Just be ready for the irate phone calls from your son's friends parents, when they go back home after visiting his snake demanding one of their own !

I would certainly recommend an adult as a first snake, especially as it is primarily going to be your son's snake. I know I have only had adults, with my first (4.5yrs old) I was so relieved to have a snake that I could handle without being worried about hurting it when I picked it up and held it. He would certainly have been manageable enough for a 6yr old and I have had friends' children younger than that handle him. I think that is definitely something to keep in mind with the fact that a child as young as your son will be handling it. Also the fact that the babies are so fast is an issue and it takes time to get them used to handling.....and, as I am sure you know, 6yr olds dont do waiting very well and he may have trouble understanding why he cant handle the baby snake right away if mummy can.

Really you are wanting a snake that you can learn to handle as quickly as possible so that your son can become involved as quickly as possible....and therefore an older snake is the best option. But a trip to a local reptile shop where you can handle the different sizes will soon show you what it can be like and what you will be happy with.

Originally our first snake was got as a family pet but, despite having done lots of research into it and been very involved in choosing the snake, my 12yr old son soon lost interest and now the snake has become mine. You need to make sure you understand enough about what you are taking on before you decide to get a corn because, as you say, it will be your responsibility and will be with you for many many years.

xxx

Sta~ple Posted - 14/04/2010 : 20:23:15
Maybe an year old or an adult snake would be better. My boyfriend refuses to pick my babies up as they whizz and e says they are too small and fragile. You also don't have to really worry about being heavy handed with an older snake.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 19:32:38
My 2 brothers (6) often handle Reggie my largest and most placid corn under supervision. I say largest he is still only a hatchling just bigger than the other two. Even my little sister(20 months)often has a snake slithering all over her.

dean54321 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 18:36:25
well im quite a few years older than your son but still got quite a bit of ime be4 im an adult and ive got a corn
herriotfan Posted - 14/04/2010 : 18:33:00
Hi
Corns are really lovely pets for children. I have young nephews who adore my snake. I agree with Sammysnake.....go to lots of reptile shops and handle some snakes before deciding. It is rather special to have a young snake and watch it grow but like everyone has said they can be very fast. Once you've handled some you'll have a much better idea on what sort of size you would feel happiest with. Don't forget you will grow in confidence as you handle more. The calmer you are the more laid back your snake will be, at least that's what I've been told!! Good luck and keep us informed.....
Sammysnake Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:43:01
My hatchling was VERY fast but began to relax and slow down after about six to eight weeks. My yearling is still pretty fast when he wants to be however! I always handle mine over the bed, that way they can slither about on and beside us without fear of being dropped or of disappearing too quickly. If you encouraged your son to do that you wouldn't have to worry about how hard or soft to 'hold' the snake. It's best to just direct them around or let them go through your hands rather than trying to hold them. Now they've both had time to settle mine prefer to hide in the folds of my clothingrather than try to zoom off anywhere.

I think they are a fantastic pet for a child. They are really clean and easy to care for (much easier than a rabbit or a guinea pig etc) and it's lovely having an animal in the house where they really do become part of the family rather than being forgotten in the garden. A snake would be a wonderful talking point for your son too - loads of opportunity for Show and Tell at school! They really are fascinating creatures and he will learn tons from having one. My daughter is now 9 and LOVES our snakes.

I'd happily have another hatchling with a young child. That way they get to see them growing quickly and shedding regularly and have the whole experience of them moving up in sizes of food too. It's all personal taste though. Also, individual snakes have different temperaments. I would suggest handling different sizes of snakes in reptile shops or with breeders and seeing what you both feel comfortable with then choose the individual snake you enjoy handling most.

I hope you get one, or maybe one each! Good luck, Sam
n/a Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:29:05
Hi LucyB & welcome to the forum. You'll find everyone on here is very helpful and there are some very knowledgable peeps.
Corn snakes are a great pet for children - although they are skittish when young, with careful regular handling they usually become quite placid. Both my children (who are 7 and 9) have a corn snake. We got both as babies so the initial handling has been done by me and my OH, and once they settled down, the children get to have a handle (whilst fully supervised). My daughter's snake is now about 18months old and she is able to pick it up herself from the viv now.
Another thing to be aware of is hygeine. You must make sure you follow careful hygeine controls with the children (and yourself) before and after handling.
I would second what Matty says - for a first snake with children, I would recommend an adult or juvenile snake rathern than a hatchling. Mainly because the children get jealous if they can't handle as much as you
matty18714 Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:08:43
Yes, just get an adult, they are often more relaxed. A hatchling would be too fast and fragile.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000