The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Term clarification?!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mouse Posted - 13/04/2010 : 11:47:23
I've read loads of posts about sexing snakes, and I know probing, but what's popping? (I'm not planning on trying it!)

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mouse Posted - 14/04/2010 : 14:05:39
I'm not planning on doing either unless shown how to, and probably only then when in the company of someone who knows how to. The thought of hurting one of them is not good.

:D

Thanks for the info! :D
matty18714 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 18:31:24
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Popping is not safe you can cause prolapse and other injurys such as break its spine and so on , probing is the best method of sexing a snake.

I disagree, popping is safe as long as you know what you're doing. Its not hard if you have been shown.

Also, saying probing is better is quite subjective.
eeji Posted - 13/04/2010 : 18:19:02
popping only works on hatchlings because older snakes muscles are strong enough to hold their man bits in.
Kazerella Posted - 13/04/2010 : 17:23:55
There's always a chance with either method that things can go wrong if you aren't experienced/confident/knowledgeable enough, that's why you should always take your snake to a vet or trusted breeder/shop to have it sexed.

The main difference is that popping is best for hatchlings and probing is better for older specimens.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 16:32:18
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Popping is not safe you can cause prolapse and other injurys such as break its spine and so on , probing is the best method of sexing a snake.

Probing may be safer i don't know but is equally as dangerous if done by somebody who dosn't know what there doing, but surely if you do know what you are doing then injuries whilst popping are rare.
crazy JJ Posted - 13/04/2010 : 16:12:13
quote:
I know that not every one is registered over there but we have a glossary of terms on the reptilian http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/The_Reptilian_glossary.html

wow some interisting terms there that i didnt know ... learn somethin new everyday Thanks
hiper2009 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 15:31:41
sexychef Posted - 13/04/2010 : 15:10:31
I know that not every one is registered over there but we have a glossary of terms on the reptilian http://www.thereptilian.co.uk/The_Reptilian_glossary.html
crazy JJ Posted - 13/04/2010 : 15:07:32
yes its alot easier on hatchlings but it can be very dangerous doing it if you have no idea what your doin :( i think u can damage something but i dont know all the ins and outs... ive never done it... i got a m8 2 do it 4 me :)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/04/2010 : 12:29:09
Popping is where you apply presure just below the vent and the sexual organs "pop out"

Obviously it isn't as simple as that and there is a technque to how you do it. I believe it is easiest done on hatchlings but im not sure.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000