The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 worried about under feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tylerma Posted - 12/04/2010 : 20:46:20
after a little help here guys and gals
I have seen the rough feeding guide but I am still a little concerned about under feeding my little ones

both snakes are of the same rough age
they were 10 to 15 weeks when I got them and I have had them for three weeks now
the snakes weigh in at (Kellogg) 29grams and (Scotch) 19grams
on the last feed I moved them up to 2 pinkies each at 5 day intervals
and the most recent feed was today.

now what I am concerned with is in the three weeks I have had them they have only put on about 3-4 grams each does this sound normal?

also the pinkies I have been feeding them weigh between 1 and 2 grams each is this enough weight in food for them?

going by the rough guide it looks like I am not feeding them the right amount in weight unless I am reading it wrong

Snake (16-23g) = 2 pinkies (3-4g) - feed every 5 to 6 days Scotch would be in this category is it supposed to be 3-4g per pinky or a combined weight for 2

Snake (24-30g) = small fuzzy (3-6g) - feed every 6 to 7 days
Kellogg would be in this category but I am unsure if she should be moved up in size yet

sorry for such a long post but I would hate to be doing it wrong and the snakes be going hungry
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/04/2010 : 03:22:29
Malcom, whenever a question comes up about feeding and I post the guide I do stress that it is very much a ROUGH guide and what you need to go by is the fact that you know your snakes, you know what you are seeing and you need to trust that. Very few of us actually weigh our mice, although I have found the guide helpful in giving me an outline as to when I should think about moving up....but I have based it much more on whether there is a bump in my snake's belly after eating. Do Scotch and Kellogg still show bumps after feeding?

Eeji is the expert regarding hatchlings and babies, so dont be alarmed if there is only a small amount of weight gain at the moment. Just imagine that a lot of the nutrition is being used up for growing and burned up moving around. The important thing is that they are putting on weight.

quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaboobers

Well sookie managed 2 pinkies side by side tonight - an error on our part - and I totally panicked thinking how is she going to get both of those in at the same time - but she did! I will keep her on 2 pinkies as we now have another 10 in the freezer but will give her 1 after the other and then quickly move her to fuzzies!

I am so glad that Sookie managed the 2 pinkies . It is a much better to give her them one at a time. Feed her the first and then wait until the bump from the first gets about half way down before offering the second. And no rush to up her to fuzzies, she will grow at her own rate and be ready in her own time !

xxx

Kazzaboobers Posted - 13/04/2010 : 21:40:22
Well sookie managed 2 pinkies side by side tonight - an error on our part - and I totally panicked thinking how is she going to get both of those in at the same time - but she did! I will keep her on 2 pinkies as we now have another 10 in the freezer but will give her 1 after the other and then quickly move her to fuzzies!
Sta~ple Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:32:55
I know this sounds weird but the size of the mice change when they defrost. They get a bit bigger when defrosted but the fresher they are since defrost, the smaller they are. The longer you leave them the bigger they are XD

Just remember new born hatchlings manage a pinky which I thought would never happen since they were like almost twice the width of them.
reptiledanny Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:20:57
one thing ill say is, don't be put off by the size of the pray and the size of their head. monty is on small mice and his head looks too small to fit it in but by the time he has eaten it and it's in the stomach their isn't a huge bump.
HannahB Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:20:02
try offering Sookie 2 pinkies next time you feed her if you think she can cope with two
maybe two smaller pinkies rather than 2 bigger ones
Sta~ple Posted - 13/04/2010 : 20:15:05
I would have thought at 10 months Kazza that he would be on 2 or if there is such thing or really big fat pinkies if there is such a thing.
tylerma Posted - 13/04/2010 : 19:22:47
thanks for the advice guys and gals
it puts my mind at rest
Kazzaboobers Posted - 12/04/2010 : 21:45:29
Well now i'm confused - our corn is meant to be 10 months old and we were told to give her 1 pinkie... Am thinking 2 at least?
HannahB Posted - 12/04/2010 : 21:21:08
dont panic that the guide says they should be on a certain size food.. you know your snakes and you can see how they are coping with what you are feeding them, please dont panic,
personally id give them a few more feeds on 2 pinkies and then see how they are doing and reassess them then
eeji Posted - 12/04/2010 : 21:16:23
baby corns only put weight on very slowly so you won't notice a massive increase (if any at all) over 3 weeks
mozacchio Posted - 12/04/2010 : 21:05:46
This is a very rough guide.
The best way to judge if you should move them up is to see if the prey leaves a bump on their stomach when they eat it.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000