The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Becardi First shed with me.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
col654 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:09:43
Hi Becardi just shed but the tail is still on.
What can i do to get it off.
Took size of him/her was 24"
Thanks colin
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mozacchio Posted - 10/04/2010 : 11:12:44
Glad everything went well!
It's funny the way they look at the pinkie after shedding..!
Like a candy!
col654 Posted - 10/04/2010 : 11:09:00
Thanks Kellog yes it did go well was still on the hunt looking for more.Will just have to wate for some more lol.
The lenth was of becardi her/him self just out long grabed the tape so just about the 24" mark.
Kellog Posted - 10/04/2010 : 04:06:47
quote:
Originally posted by col654

Thanks for the advice did the paper towel it worked. Now for the big feed first time hope he takes it !!!!!

Am so pleased that Becardi has shed and that you have been able to help get the last bit off his tail, well done !

You say you took the size of him/her....was it off the shed? If it was then you need to subtract 10% to allow for the stretching.

You have had the excitement of the first shed, now the excitement of the first feed! Hope it all goes well....make sure to let us know!

xxx

(Have since seen your pics of Becardi feeding and the first feed definitely went well....better than well, it looked great!)

col654 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 15:00:43
Thanks for the advice did the paper towel it worked. Now for the big feed first time hope he takes it !!!!!
HannahB Posted - 09/04/2010 : 14:51:43
it may take a bit of work to get the shed off the tail.. if you try the kitchen towel method first and find it doesnt work then you could give him a quick bath to let him soak for a few mins, then let him wriggle out through a towel and it should come off then
col654 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 13:16:53
Thanks had the water on the heat mat still first time will take more on as we grow together .
cheers colin.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/04/2010 : 13:01:22
That is to aid the snake shed not to remove retained skin.

Best thing to do is get a bit of kitchen paper and dampen it with luke warm water. put your snakes tail in the paper and apply a little bit of pressure and let your snake wriggle out. The shed should come off no problem. This is what i do with Candy as she has a bit of a kink in her tail and tends to retain shed from that point.
mozacchio Posted - 09/04/2010 : 12:41:37
Did you check the care sheet of this site?

"Most Corn snakes will handle a shed without any need for extra help, but if you want to assist your snake during this time you should try to raise the humidity in your Vivarium to help your snake loosen it's skin. You can do this by placing a larger water bowl in the vivarium so that your snake has the opportunity to soak itself if desired. You can also lightly mist the tank with water to help raise the humidity. Another useful tactic is to place a humidity box in the Vivarium. This can be a sandwich box with a hole cut in the top filled with damp sphagnum moss. Your Corn snake should appreciate the extra humidity and it will make the next stage in the process easier for it."

Just quoted the paragragh you need!
Another thing you can do, is pick it up, get it wet and then try to remove the remaining skin slowly and carefully so that you don't hurt it. But it's better if you try the other things first, so that the snake sheds on his own.

Hope i helped,
Electra

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000