The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How often to handle?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
herriotfan Posted - 31/03/2010 : 22:32:53
I was just wondering how often you all handle your snakes. Apart from the 48 hours after a feed I handle Hissin-Sid 2-3 times every day, for about 15 minutes each time. Is that too much? He never struggles to get away and is very calm and placid. He loves looking round and is interested in everything. Is this just me being too besotted with him?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 04/04/2010 : 12:23:42
There is such a thing as over handling particularly with young snakes, i think it might be when they start to try and get away from you or become stressed is when you are over handling them, but if i was i would just keep them short and sweet maybe 10-15 mins a day would be plenty untill your corn is a bit bigger.
mozacchio Posted - 04/04/2010 : 11:47:40
I don't think that there is a specific limit. It's better to handle them every day (not nesseceraly that much) for 10-15 minutes, except after you feed them. Maybe when you handle them too much, they show it by hiding or being unfriendly. But i have no experience in that!
herriotfan Posted - 04/04/2010 : 04:56:20
Thanks everyone. My next question must be can you handle a young corn too much and how can you tell if you are?
eeji Posted - 02/04/2010 : 16:10:40
i have plenty of time to handle them, i just choose not too :D
Kellog Posted - 02/04/2010 : 05:02:48
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

mine get about 15 seconds handling each every few weeks, just enough time to move them out of their tubs for a clean out.

It is one of the reasons I am quite happy with just having the two - I have the time to handle them and enjoy them....and they have the time to get out of their vivs and explore. Dont know how I would cope with more than that....wouldnt want to!

xxx
n/a Posted - 01/04/2010 : 19:02:58
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

mine get about 15 seconds handling each every few weeks, just enough time to move them out of their tubs for a clean out.

Sounds exactly like me. They do however get 10-15 sec more if its egglaying season as i want to check their health a bit closer during those weeks. :)
eeji Posted - 01/04/2010 : 18:50:59
Taz Devil Posted - 01/04/2010 : 10:53:29
I handle sid for about 10 - 30 minutes each day (except for 48 hours after feeding). My son will sometimes sit and watch TV with Sid on his lap.
Twi Posted - 01/04/2010 : 10:46:43
I tend to hold ginger every other day, he comes out for a mooch around twice a week as well. The two younger ones I try to handle daily if I have the time but only for short period of time so I don't stress out Normal cause she is skittish, mouse doesnt mind much i can handle him for longer usually, he will curl up happily around my fingers lol
Sta~ple Posted - 01/04/2010 : 09:55:12
The babies I try to handle every day if they are up and about. If they are hiding then it's obious they don't want me to disturb them so I don't.

Venom... he would always be out if he could. When he was smaller he used to spend a fair amount of the day in my hood and tickle my neck and ears lol. Now it's maybe like 20 mins a week as I always seem to be very busy.

Char is mostly always in hiding. If I wake her up from hiding she can whiz and go everywhere so I wait until she is exploring the viv to get her out. It's not very often she comes out though, she likes her sleep.
Kellog Posted - 01/04/2010 : 03:53:05
I have always tried to handle my 2 twice a day, especially Silvesta when I first got him.

With them being adults I feel that a maximum of 30 mins is enough each time (as it is being done twice) for them and for me! Kellog is easy to handle and I do sometimes forget the time and realise he has been out for nearly an hour but Silvesta is a different story as he is still very fast.

When I first got him I began handling him as a hatchling (not sure if you remember me mentioning it before but he came from an owner who handled him about 3 times a week with a glove ....and he was very nervous and frightened). I very slowly built it up from 10 mins, to 20 and now to half an hour....but I do think that doing it twice a day made a big difference to him settling down so quickly.

Unfortunately because he is horny at the moment and over-active (and I am over-tired) I can only cope with him out for about 15 mins unless he really behaves....but no matter how tired I am I make sure he gets his twice daily handling.

Sounds like Hissin-Sid is doing really well and he is being very calm and placid because that is how you are with him! Calm mum, calm snake....nervous mum, nervous snake! And of course you are besotted with him, you have waited so long for this and he was definitely worth the wait .

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 01/04/2010 : 00:31:10
I handle Casper and reggie once a day for about 20 mins normly although sometimes i have them out for longer for instance i had casper out for like 40 mins this morning while she was playing around in my covers, but with candy i keep them short and sweet, once a day for 5-10 mins. Will handle him more when hes a bit bigger. Also because he is currently being fed every 4 days i have 2 days of handling and then 2 of none handling.
Kehhlyr Posted - 01/04/2010 : 00:20:39
You're a new snake owner so handling will always be done more often.
The amount of handling that you're doing is not to much, if it was the snake would let you know.
Myself, my handling with my snakes is now about 15 mins twice a week for each one aside from Trio at the moment. I have a fair few animals and especially now we have the ducklings then handling the snakes has to be thought about a bit more carefully before handling them.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000