The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How hot is too hot?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
headlow Posted - 19/03/2010 : 17:04:45
Hello folks!

With the recent change in the weather the cold end in both my two foot tanks has been getting to around 25 Celcius. I have tried lower wattage bulbs, but they are unable to get the hot ends to the correct temps.

Is this two hot?

I've had extra air vents delilivered today. Where exactly should they be installed? I was thinking about two thirds of the way up the cold end wall.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Justin
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/03/2010 : 20:23:28
The ambient temp in the viv shouldn't really matter as corns get heat through their belly, hense why lamps aren't as effective. If your corn gets cold it simply moves to the warm end of the viv. You could have even added a normal low wottage light bulb to raise the ambient temps.

I believe the best solution would be to change to mats but understand this could be quite expensive having to fork out for new mats and stats. Other than that you could add another vent in the cold end, you could even add one to the warm end higher up than your current one.
a33272 Posted - 19/03/2010 : 19:46:39
id go with elament, swop to mats will give you a pretty constant warm end temp, my mat is on a pulse stat and i never adjust it all year round it maintains temps well, anbiant temp isnt a major problem is ya snake gets cold it will just move to the warm end anyway but could just use a normal energy saving bulb to raise it abit if you wanted to
eeji Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:43:37
vents are best placed high up on the warm side and low on the cool side to help with airflow
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:41:08
might be an idea to consider mats and raise the ambient tempreture with a simple spotlamp bulb. Would be a lot easier to maintain a constant that way but otherwise as eeji said your only other option is to stick in more vents. You have my sympathy though in an unheated attic with the winter we just had brrrrr lol
headlow Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:28:43
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

the biggest cause of your problem will be that you are using a bulb for a heat source which will warm the air. If you don't want to switch to a heat mat then the only option you have is more ventilation.

....just out of interest, what is the temperature on the warm side and do you have a dimming thermostat controling your bulb?

Warm end temp's are both 28/29, and all bulbs have dimming stats.

I am reluctant to use heat mats as when I got my fist snake the colder ambient temps in my converted attic caused a few problems.
eeji Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:25:52
the biggest cause of your problem will be that you are using a bulb for a heat source which will warm the air. If you don't want to switch to a heat mat then the only option you have is more ventilation.

....just out of interest, what is the temperature on the warm side and do you have a dimming thermostat controling your bulb?
headlow Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:23:21
Sorry I should have explained my set-up a bit better. Because I'm in an unheated converted roof space I find that the only way to maintain the correct temperatures is by using bulbs. Both Tanks have Halogen daylight bulbs for daylight heat, and 50 watt moonlights for night time heat. Until the weather changed for the better I had a steady 29.1 for both warm ends and usually 22 for the cold ends. I'm just concerned that with the weather getting warmer the cold end will get way above 25. Both the two foot tanks have 2 vents. A low one at the hot end, and a high one at the cool end. The tank are Vivexotic VX24's

I do know that a lot of people don't recommend bulbs for Corns, but both of mine (plus my King and Milk) are all perfectly healthy, and eating and shedding well.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:09:15
As element has said above we need to know what your actual set up is like. What are your cool end temps normly? i would think that between 20 and 23 is ideal for cool end but 25 won't do any harm. You say you've tried low wottage bulbs but you cant get the hot end to the right temps, if you are using a heat mat and thermostat your hot end should be ok. What are your warm end temps now and what are they normly? Warm end temps you want to aim between 27 and 30, 30 being very top end, ideal would be 28-29 anything above around 33 would be considered dangerous.

Do you have vents in the tank already? Around 2/3rds of the way up the tank would be efficient.
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 17:28:15
might be an idea to describe your set up. You say you have tried smaller size bulbs is this your primary heat source or purely for decoration (ie a spotlamp bulb)?

n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 17:25:30
its it nr a radiator? could you move the viv? how many vents does it have now? is this a new problem, whats the usual cool end temp? sorry for all the questions but might lead to a better answer. just thinking if you put change the viv to cool it what happens when the house is cooler in the future and you need to warm it up? also corns absorb heat though their bellies so a mat is better than bulbs in most cases. :)

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000