The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 1st Feed

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
herriotfan Posted - 18/03/2010 : 16:53:58
Sis has had his first feed. He did strike and constrict.....AMAZING
Having read lots of posts on here I gather I'm very lucky to witness both, with a young snake too!!!!
I had our Kevin (son) on hand with the camera to take some shots which I'm going to try and post later. He was as amazed as me! (Didn't want a snake, indeed )
After fluff had gone I very gently put Sids back in his viv, he slithered off under his log. I'll now leave him for 48 hrs, just change his water, do substrate and peek once a day to make sure he's ok and not been sick
Really proud of little Sids.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 20/03/2010 : 03:16:18
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

I have tried wiggling it and also fighting with him so he will constrict but to no avail! oh well i'm sure he will in his own time.

You need to be careful about 'fighting with him' over the mouse as you dont want to rip his teeth out.

I find that when Silvesta poos in the viv (Kellog never does) he usually does it when he is burrowing, so the only way I can find it is by sifting through the substrate each day when I do a water change....and it invariably is by the water bowl or against the edge of the front of the viv - so the first I know about it is when my fingers feel something wet and soggy !!

xxx
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 20:09:58
Congrats then you are an official member of an underground club...the i have been tagged or i am a real snake keeper club. Sadly I am not yet a member although I have had a few close calls when feeding i am yet to be bitten.
Sta~ple Posted - 19/03/2010 : 19:49:12
quote:
Originally posted by elament

LMAO observation helicopter i like that...principle is the same it means other half

I feel really stupid now >.<

Sometimes they just do it randomly especially around this time of year where they seem to go hyper just like that. Last time I fed Mr.Venom I carried him over to his feeding lunch box and he shot out my hand and pounced on the rat. The way he acts you would think I stare him but he's actually on a diet. I have never seen Char constrict or strike though. She does have a habit of eating the mouse the wrong way round though and dribbling all over the mouse until she gets the right end. I might buy some feeding tongs and wiggle it in front of her and see if she does anything although last time she decided not to eat for ages and I wiggled a mouse she bit my thumb >.<
n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 19:08:20
I have tried wiggling it and also fighting with him so he will constrict but to no avail! oh well i'm sure he will in his own time.
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:56:35
LMAO observation helicopter i like that...principle is the same it means other half
Sta~ple Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:54:52
If you wiggle the food about they normally pounce and constrict. I feed my snakes in a big lunchbox but its not very high and Venom ends up tackling the mouse so it flies out the lunch box and on my bed! In which he will then spend ages squeezing it and dribbling all over it. Snakies tend to go for poops in there water bowl or in corners or right near the water bowl (or at least that's what I find) rarely I will open the tank and smell a present but cannot find it until I lift one of their hidey places.

I have seen many people use the word OH on here >>; what is it as I keep thinking it means observation helicopter...
n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:54:39
Hi Steve, yes i always warm them up, maybe he may constrict tomoz once he is on the fluffs, i just think he is lazy and can't be bothered. lol
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 18:45:46
Just a point Dawn do you warm your prey up? I only ask because sometimes a warmer meal can make them constrict also I have noticed Xena always constricts larger food items. My OH thinks its coz she is squashing the meal down a bit to fit it in easier

n/a Posted - 19/03/2010 : 16:59:09
you are so lucky, Steve has just started striking but as of yet hasn't constricted, can't wait for that day, but i have witnessed him shed from start to finish which is also amazing.
herriotfan Posted - 19/03/2010 : 16:36:29
Something to look forward to then :) Can't wait!! Thanks
elament Posted - 19/03/2010 : 15:55:54
Herriotfan sid will drop one in about 2-5 days after he has eaten. As he is still quite small his poos will be too and the smell is proportionate to the size of poo.
However...by eck does it stink.
It will look like sta~ple said like a bird poo. There will be a dark brown blackish bit and also a white bit. If you have a keen sence of smell you should have no trouble identifying that sid has done the deed.
Good luck lol
Sta~ple Posted - 19/03/2010 : 10:42:35
It depends how big the poop is. And snake poop kinda looks like bird poop.
herriotfan Posted - 19/03/2010 : 09:50:27
His viv smells ok this morning so I left well alone, just did his water as usual.
This may sound like a silly question but I assume when he goes to the loo I will smell it, what will it look like and is it fairly easy to find in a dim light? Never dealt with snake poo before!!
Kellog Posted - 19/03/2010 : 04:42:32
That is fantastic! For him to eat so well with his first feed with you and for him to strike and constrict ....I bet you couldnt believe it!

Am sure that if you were holding camera you would have forgotten to take the pics or they would have come out blurry cos of you shaking with excitement ! Cant wait to see pics (you better sort out 'Photobucket' soon....we are all on the edge of our seats waiting to see him !)

No peeking !! It really isnt necessary and will disturb him. I am sure he will be fine and if he does regurge you will smell it ....so LEAVE HIM ALONE !

xxx
n/a Posted - 18/03/2010 : 19:39:28
its really great to see strike and constrict. makes my week!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 18/03/2010 : 19:18:21
It is pretty amazing when you see them strike and constrict, especially if it was anything like caspers first constriction, sshe was like a little ball of awesomeness haha.

Just fed Reggie and Casper then, Casper struck and then sort of constricted, i use the term loosely as it was more like a little hug, not her best efforts anyway. Reggie did one of his lazy strikes, he'd rather i just dropped it in for him i think lol.

Also fed Candy on Tuesday and he showed me his first attempt at a constriction, has an awesome strike for such a little snakey lol.
mozacchio Posted - 18/03/2010 : 18:51:50
You are very lucky!
Spaghettino hasn't constricted yet.. :'(
elament Posted - 18/03/2010 : 18:35:16
Gotta feed both mine tonight Colin will no doubt refuse and Xena will no doubt try to take my fingers off again lol. Best bit is I got to use up the last of the small pinkies so she getting two tonight so i risking getting tagged twice lol
HannahB Posted - 18/03/2010 : 17:05:55
congrats
thats impressive him doing both! i have to really work some of mine to get a decent strike from them!
look forwards to the pics

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000