The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 advice and comments

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
shaun727 Posted - 16/03/2010 : 11:26:50

This is my viv its used to house my bearded dragons but due to a bad choice on my part they passed away i got a dodgy bag of crickets from eBay fed them at breakfast and when came up for lunch time feed
they where dead i thought getting a bag of 1000 instead of going to my local rep store every day would save me a few pounds and some time so i wont be making that mistake again

anyway am looking into getting a baby corn and moving him/her into this viv when it is older i am unsure of what size they need this viv is 4ft L and 3 buy 3 so its a fairly big viv with lots of room but after reading your excellent care sheet i think keeping the baby in a smaller plastic viv till it has settled in and is bigger

my shopping list so far is

1 light guard as i am removing the 2nd basking light
2 hides
and some vines and more climbing stuff i can pick up later

some questions i have are

The viv already has a Komodo Radiant Heat Lamp 100W with guard and is regulated with Lucky Reptile Thermo Control Pro II in to help boost heating would i need to put a heat mat instead or as well ?

Would the Zoo-Med ReptiSun 10% 30W UV Tube be of any benefit to a corn snake or should i just take it out ?

What size weight should i be looking to move him/her into this enclosure?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 18/03/2010 : 17:02:25
I'd give you one of my babies but I'm not sure which one I am keeping and half of them aren't eating at the moment T.T they like biting me though.
shaun727 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 23:41:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

My advice is I personally think you shouldnt get a corn snake.

I think you should bugger off and stop stealing my ideas, and I have to comment on the fact if you get your snake before I get mine I will come and beat you about the head...likely with something fluffy so it will be a long slow painful death.

no i have taken a liking to the Mexican black king hun but your more than welcome to still come round and spank me if you like
Sammysnake Posted - 17/03/2010 : 19:09:32
Have you been to the Reptile Centre near the rugby ground? I've been in there lots to look at the animals and I seem to remember last time I looked that their hatchlings were fairly pricey - £65 for normals. If you don't mind a drive I get all my supplies in Banbury - Double JJ Aquatics. It's only a small shop but they pack plenty of interesting animals in and really care about them. They have plenty of hatchlings ranging from £40 - £60.

Also, I bought Saracen from a lady in Northampton along with his viv. She was also selling an Amel called Pearl. I think they are around 18 months old and Saracen is a really healthy snake and was well looked after. Pearl may still be for sale if you're interested - here's the link

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8365

You could also try Preloved as lots of people will be selling hatchlings in the next few months I think. I got Twilight from a local breeder through Preloved - he was £20 for an Anery. Good luck in your search.
Kare Posted - 17/03/2010 : 19:00:32
My advice is I personally think you shouldnt get a corn snake.

I think you should bugger off and stop stealing my ideas, and I have to comment on the fact if you get your snake before I get mine I will come and beat you about the head...likely with something fluffy so it will be a long slow painful death.
shaun727 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 18:36:30
i am in Northampton am not in any rush to get it still need to get the small viv set up right with hides and digi thermometers
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 18:26:56
quote:
Originally posted by shaun727

tried ringing the breeder again and this time i got diverted to some poor old dear that answered the phone when i asked about the snake she was very confused so i think i will steer clear of this one

am going to have a look on that 888 website see whats around are there any reputable breeders you guys and gals recommend i think if can get one i would like one of those Mexican black king snakes

MBK's are pretty awesome snakes, Kehhlyr has one but if your looking for an MBK might be better over on the King site - www.kingsnake.co.uk

888 Reptiles won't deliver untill night time temperatures are above 5 degrees so im not sure wether they would be delivering them yet although they do have possitive feedback. I very often by things from there just havn't bought any livestock.

Where about are you situated?
shaun727 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 17:42:46
tried ringing the breeder again and this time i got diverted to some poor old dear that answered the phone when i asked about the snake she was very confused so i think i will steer clear of this one

am going to have a look on that 888 website see whats around are there any reputable breeders you guys and gals recommend i think if can get one i would like one of those Mexican black king snakes
Sta~ple Posted - 17/03/2010 : 16:48:06
Normal hatchlings are £40 in our shop and adults are £60/5. I've seen an adult butter in there for £65 as well I guess it depends on the shop. You might be bale to get a baby quite cheap from somewhere that isn't a breeder like another pet owner as they might be "accidents"

If you do buy a corn online make sure you get some kinda guarantee and try and see if they have good feedback.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 15:41:19
quote:
Originally posted by shaun727

this snakes is up for £45 or offers and at my local rep shop there £80 to £125 depending on age and morph

Certain morphs are more expensive than others, and if you get an older corn this will also be more expensive.

In a rep shop carolinas are normly around £40 so £45 O.N.O isn't that bad.
To show you how much prices vary i bought two of my snakes from the same shop. I payed £55 for my Ghost and £80 for my Bloodred, They were selling Carolinas for £40 but had a sub Adult for £60. They also had a Lavander for £60 and a few Amels for £35. My sisters Amel Stripe was also £80 from the same shop.
mikerichards Posted - 17/03/2010 : 14:04:09
£80 for a normal baby? They certainly rely on people not knowing the retail value of these snakes! You can pick up young normals for as little as a tenner on some forums.
The general guideline is the length of the snake should be no less than the width plus the depth of viv, so a 2x1 would be suitable for a 3ft snake, etc. Saying that, your viv would certainly be suitable for an adult, but your looking at between 5 and 10 years before a corn hits adult size of 4.5 - 5ft, but from about 4 years would be ok. The more stuff you can put in the viv the better, less open space. The problem is insecurity, a small snake is very easily made to feel insecure, its their nature
About the thermometers, tbh your best off without them, they work, after a fashion, but no where near as accurate as digi ones.
Sorry to hear about your beardies, might be worth having a PM done to see why they died, you may have comeback to the seller if you can prove it was their food that was the problem.

With heating, heat mat is best for reasons above, ditch the heat bulb and uv, its totally wasted on corns.
By all means use something like an energy saver bulb to light the viv, that won't do any harm, but always guard it, some can get quite warm!
shaun727 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 13:43:04
this snakes is up for £45 or offers and at my local rep shop there £80 to £125 depending on age and morph
DannyBrown91 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 13:03:17
It is probably quite stressfull for the snake being as it would be in the tub for a bar minimum of 1 day/night, being shipped around all over the place almost constantly moving.

There are a couple of people on here that ordered snakes from 888 reptiles and they said they never had a problem with it the snakes come in a polystyrene box with a heatmat but i personally think it is better to buy from a shop, less stress for the snake and you get to see what you are buying. Infact most shops will let you handle them. For a hatchling Carolina (Normal corn) you would probably pay around £20 from a breeder or between £40-£45 from a rep shop.
shaun727 Posted - 17/03/2010 : 12:55:22
i have a smaller glass viv at home waiting to be set up cant remember what the dimensions are but its fairly small probably similar to a mouse cage in size of the top off my head will remove the UV light and the ceramic heat bulb and have sorted out 2 heat mats one for each viv i have found a breeder but not been able to contact him/her yet as there phone is off and not responded to e-mails yet

i have another question as i have been looking at purchasing snakes online and looking at the cost of delivery its lot cheaper then my local rep pet store how bad/stress full is this for the snake
buy the looks of things its quite common but that dose not mean its a good thing

here's a pic of the little fella

hes 5 months feeds on 2 pinky's a week and is "classed as a baby normal corn"

will post pics of the small viv ones i get home

and last but not lest thank you for your advice its very much appreciated
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/03/2010 : 13:28:10
That viv would be no good for a hatchling corn but would be ok for a fully grown one.

The UV light would need to be taken out as not only does it flash at a level that we cant see but corns can the snakes would also be able to climb on it and wrap around it and could burn themselves.

Corns are best having a heat mat rather than a lamp as they get heat from their bellies but you could swap the heat lamp for a normal low wattage bulb giving you more light in the viv. Also remove the basking lights.

You would also need to swap them dial therm for digi ones. Add a couple of hides and your good for a corn.

You could also remove the feeding dish although some corns don't like to be fed out the viv so it could come in handy.
Sta~ple Posted - 16/03/2010 : 11:36:40
That tank might be a bit too big, even for a fully grown corn snake...

I don;t think the UV light would hurt them but it probably won't help either and they would probably prefer not to have one since they like the dark much better.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000