The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shedding controlled or not

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 13/03/2010 : 15:34:48
I know adult snakes shed around 4 times per year but is thatdown to nature or do they control it. Like if an adult snake wantedto could it control when it sheds? Just wondering! X
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 14/03/2010 : 04:07:17
A snake sheds as it grows and puts on weight and therefore outgrows the skin its in. This slows down as they get older as we control their diet and therefore they dont grow as much, but they still need to shed as they still do grow slightly.

There are times when they shed for other reasons and Danny has put it perfectly. It is not something they control, it is something their bodies do to heal.

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 13/03/2010 : 18:48:35
I wouldn't say that they can control it. Its like when we cut ourselves and the blood clots and scar tissue covers the wound, we don't have control over it but it just happens.
matty18714 Posted - 13/03/2010 : 18:09:17
Its effected by differant factors, but I have never thought of them having complete control. I can control when I move my hand, but I cant control when my body releases adrenaline for example.
n/a Posted - 13/03/2010 : 17:02:20
So they control it when like u said they are injured and that's all? Ok cool was just wondering!
matty18714 Posted - 13/03/2010 : 16:18:05
They can shed more often if it is needed (if they have an injury for example), but its not a conscious action.
n/a Posted - 13/03/2010 : 16:04:29
They shed when they start to outgrow their skin snakes grow constantly through out their lives they just slow down as they get older

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000