The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Any anyone tried this rubbstrate?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 09/03/2010 : 17:40:58
I tried searching on here and on the internet and have found very little information. I was thinking about getting some to try as I have heard many stories of people mistaking bugs that live in aspen for snake mites and I don't want to be one of those people. I don't think my snakes would also like me fussy and worrying over nothing either! Plus I think Venom would love having subtrate that matched his colouring

http://www.livefoodsbypost.co.uk/rubbstrate---re-useable-reptile-substrate-510-c.asp

I guess that newspaper or cage carpet would have to be put in underneath it though since it's rubber and it won't clump. It is enticing me with all the apparent germ freeness that probably are not really all that germ free XD
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sta~ple Posted - 10/03/2010 : 13:58:46
Well it kinda looks like the stuff for landscape gardening, I imagine that if you didn't want it any-more I guess you could recycle it. I have no idea how much would actually be needed,d it states 1kg will do one square foot and will be 1" in depth but people with heat mats wouldn't use that much to cover up the heatmat and if you need 4kg or more it seems cheaper just to buy 10kg and that way you could have some drying while the rest is in the tank?

I wonder if I can get a free sample. I don't feed my snakes in the tank but I do wonder hoe big the pieces are and if they could burrow in it easily and see how strong the rubber smell is.
Kare Posted - 10/03/2010 : 08:35:23
I would guess you would need 3kg per square foot of space making one and 1/2 inches of floor covering down and the other half being washed or drying.
Kare Posted - 10/03/2010 : 08:29:55
It looks great but I wouldn't like to think of the effect on the environment if people used it then decided against it and threw it away. Using it over and over for a whole snakes lifetime would likely make it good environmentally wise,(your car travel to buy more aspen+the company transport and the harvesting/shredding machinery verses the CO2 absorbed in growth and the biodegradeability etc etc)

But deciding against it or say getting a parasite infection and then dumping it all rather than washing/treating it or taking it to somewhere they deal with recycling it would be nasty!
eeji Posted - 09/03/2010 : 20:15:54
quote:
Originally posted by that website linked to...

Can my reptile become impacted using RubbStrate?

* There is a slight risk of imapction using ANY LOOSE PARTICLE SUBSTRATE. The risk is no greater than using wood based substrates, obviously you need to choose the right substrate to match your animal. However because RubbStrate is made of soft rubber flakes they shouldnt become lodged or cause damage like a large cypress mulch wood splinter would do.

it does what it says on the tin - i think it would also depend on the size of the snake, how big the rubber bits are, and whether you feed in or out of the viv.
Sta~ple Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:15:59
That makes sense. It doesn't claim to be 100% safe though which is good. Surely the only way for a snake to ingest the substrate would be if they got fed in the tank?
SexyBear77 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:14:11
No substrate is really safe, but that stuff claims to be. I would be far more worried about them having rubber in their stomachs than something natural.
Sta~ple Posted - 09/03/2010 : 17:58:58
Yeh it says it sells like trainers XD I guess that it would go after a while though once they poo on it XD I thought any substrate wasn't safe if ingested or is there substrate where it doesn't matter if they eat some?
SexyBear77 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 17:46:06
I wouldn't want to use it, it has a very strong rubber smell so I've heard, and isn't that safe if ingested.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000