The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 R.U.B. too big for young snake?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 09/03/2010 : 16:10:36
I have gotten hold of a 84 litre R.U.B. 26 inches long X 17 inches wide X 14 inches high.
In cm thats 66 X 43 X 35 cm.
I am planning on drilling it out and using it to house my cornsnake in until I get him a proper viv.
He is 7 months old and growing well. Is he too small/young to be moved into this larger container?
He is currently living in a faurarium.
I would be putting plenty of hides in there. Also some branches for him to climb about on.
What are your thoughts on this idea?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 11/03/2010 : 10:35:24
I know how ya feel Kare

I'm sure whatever you choose to do will be fine for your lil snakie and if it isn't then you can change it. its trial and error aint it, each snake is different so you can never tell how each will react
Kare Posted - 11/03/2010 : 10:29:22
I have always assumed when saying RUB people mean a RUB. RUBs are a brand name for one type of box, a brand thats website boasts is tested and proven to be safe to certain heats, above that from a heat mat suitable for plastic teraniums.

I dont know what others on this forum do, but think it would be unsafe to use the term RUB in refering to another generic storage tub that for one has not been tested to these heats and does not have the same security for the lid etc etc. I know the crates I used for my hamsters in the past would not met the standard and any RUB lookilikey from the market would be unlikely to meet these standards.

Anyways lets agree to disagree cause Im moving on. Im not going to disagree back and forth with you Dan on any of the threads, Im finding it a little tedious already.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 11/03/2010 : 09:24:52
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91
That may also depend on the company that make the RUB, you can get rubs that are the same Litre capacity but have more floor space and less height.

RUB ie Really Useful Box is a brand name for a product made by only one company, noone else makes them. There is only one 84l RUB

Nope they are made by different companies, it may not have the brand name R.U.B but it still does the same job. Many companies make plastic storage boxes with lids that do the exact same job.

Its just like any other producy. If it is in demand it will be made by more than one company.
Kellog Posted - 11/03/2010 : 04:36:57
Have only just caught up with this topic and one thing I will add, that hasnt been mentioned yet, is the stress caused to the hatchling (and to you) when you are having to search around a large RUB with many hides, plants, logs etc...to get them out to handle them and feed them. It allows them a lot of space to escape and then you have a chase around the RUB trying to get them.

I, personally, havent experienced it....but Silvesta was very scared and flighty when I first got him and in a viv that was much too big. Chaos ensued every time I tried to catch him. He is so much more settled now in Kellog's old viv (and Kellog much happier in Silvesta's larger viv!) and has calmed down enough for me to be able to lift him out easily. I know he would have got used to me handling him eventually, but do wonder whether this was aided by the change to the smaller viv and the decrease in stress each handling time.

xxx
Kare Posted - 10/03/2010 : 22:08:37
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91
That may also depend on the company that make the RUB, you can get rubs that are the same Litre capacity but have more floor space and less height.

RUB ie Really Useful Box is a brand name for a product made by only one company, noone else makes them. There is only one 84l RUB
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 21:42:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

The floor space of a 64lit and an 84lit is the same so would the height be particularly intimidating for a snake, do they have much perception of height above them? or could you treat them as the same?

Im wondering more from the point of view of my first RUB being a 9lit or a 9 xl

Kare Posted - 10/03/2010 : 21:22:16
The floor space of a 64lit and an 84lit is the same so would the height be particularly intimidating for a snake, do they have much perception of height above them? or could you treat them as the same?

Im wondering more from the point of view of my first RUB being a 9lit or a 9 xl
mikerichards Posted - 10/03/2010 : 20:16:04
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Tbh, anyone that says its ok to house 2 hatchlings together in a 4 foot viv isn't much of an expert IMO.

Lol, really? i wonder what other gems have come from there too!

Bear in mind i have a 6 foot boa in a 64l rub, you will be waiting more than a couple of months to transfer him over, more like a year i would guess.
That does depend a lot on how big the snake is at the time.
SexyBear77 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 18:57:01
Tbh, anyone that says its ok to house 2 hatchlings together in a 4 foot viv isn't much of an expert IMO.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 10/03/2010 : 18:51:47
yeah i know that each snake is different, thats why i said it should be ok if its packed full of things it can hide away if its stressed or explore if its not. Better to have the choice in my mind but each to there own
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 13:45:47
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-And-Danny

I would of agreed with everyone else if our r.s.p.c.a / police reptile expert didnt tell us differently. As long as theres plenty of things to hide in, the bigger the better

Some corns will be ok in large vivs or Rubs with plenty of cover. Others can become stressed.
Especially if a hatchling is used to being kept in a small tub like in a Shop and then are bought and introduced to a massive viv or rub.

Different people have different views and just because your RSPCA "Expert" has a certain view dosn't make this Ccorrect for every snake.

Its like generalising every person into one category it can't be done. so it is easier to play it safe than to introduce them when they are not ready and for them to become stressed.
Jo-And-Danny Posted - 10/03/2010 : 13:40:43
I would of agreed with everyone else if our r.s.p.c.a / police reptile expert didnt tell us differently. As long as theres plenty of things to hide in, the bigger the better
DannyBrown91 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 12:22:13
In the wild i think they would just hide away the high majority of the time, under rocks and things.
hiper2009 Posted - 10/03/2010 : 12:18:30
If you do decide to put him in this RUB then make sure you compact it with alot of stuff like fake plants , 2 - 3 hides , few climbing vines or branches , couple of tissue tube rolls , water dish.
n/a Posted - 10/03/2010 : 12:14:37
Thanks for your replies.
I will leave it a couple of month more and then try him in it.
How do young snakes cope in the wild?
When I do put him in this RUB I will post up any findings for future reference.
eeji Posted - 09/03/2010 : 20:12:22
Mike has it covered, some will be fine if theres plenty of cover and not just the 'usual' two hides, and others can get stressed to the point of refusing to eat. :D

DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:38:39
Would certainly go with mike on this one.
SexyBear77 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 17:38:00
Yup, waaaaaaaay too big.
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 16:27:44
I would always say yes, way too big, I have a 6 foot boa in isolation in a 64ltr and its plenty big enough for him! Although he's ill and very skinny!
The faun you have will be big enough for a while yet.
I am sure some people will say its fine, and sometimes it is, but that depends on the snake. By all means give it a go, but at the first indication of stress, ie not feeding, rattling, striking/biting, put him back in the faun.
Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I don't.

Mike
mikerichards Posted - 09/03/2010 : 16:26:43
I would always say yes, way too big, I have a 6 foot boa in isolation in a 64ltr and its plenty big enough for him! Although he's ill and very skinny!
The faun you have will be big enough for a while yet.
I am sure some people will say its fine, and sometimes it is, but that depends on the snake. By all means give it a go, but at the first indication of stress, ie not feeding, rattling, striking/biting, put him back in the faun.
Personally, I wouldn't do it, and I don't.

Mike

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000