The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tank size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sta~ple Posted - 08/03/2010 : 21:52:15
I currently have 2 snakes in one tank after the petshop told me this was fine. .After reading all the information on the forum, it has worried me to death so I am getting a new tank for one of them. However, there seems to be a lot of different idea of what tank size is best for an adult and they all seem to vary. I have seen for instance, 30" long and 36" long most often. The gallon talk also confuses me so much. A lot of talk about 30 and 40 gallons seems to be fine for snakes but I would then work it out that I have a 55 gallon.

Currently, they are in a 48" by 15". This was fine up until about 3 years ago, I noticed my male getting huge compared to my female even though they are of similar age. She stopped groiwng and he seems to have carried on at a whopping rate. They have never acted aggressive to each other and there has never been any problems feeding either of them. They do the do called "snuggling" in the same place even though there are other places in the tank for them but I am quite scared of him crushing her now due to his size. I asked my petshop and they said it was fine but considering the size difference now... I don't feel safe... My male is 5"8 and the female is 4". So now I'm wondering, Do I get another 48" by 15" tank of a bigger one for my male. When I take her out of the tank it seems to be an just right size for him. I would really appreciate peoples help on this. Ideally, the tank size he is in now would be perfect as I could stank a new tank ontop of it neatly without any danger. If it is any longer and is 3 foot wide... I'm not sure... I thin I would have to get rid of my bed XD
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HannahB Posted - 09/03/2010 : 09:12:40
the viv they are currently in will be more than enough for the male, id get a smaller 4x1 or 3x2 for the female
KITTYCAT Posted - 09/03/2010 : 09:04:57
My male n female used to look so cute cuddled up together normally with him on top we thought they were happy but after the unplanned pregnancy ( told they were the same sex)we seperated them the male was big, though they were the same age. The female came on leaps n bounds and is now the same size she is a totally different snake turns out he was being the dominant one
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 00:34:50
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Oh there like 6 years old. It's just that almost 2 foot in size difference worries me. So the deeper the better? I guess I better rearrange my room... It's so confusing the tank size as if you go by length of snake = length + depth of the tank then the one he is in is tiny :/ but 4" by 2" seems a bit too big.

4 x 2 wouldn't be too big but the one he is in now is certainly sufficient.
Sta~ple Posted - 08/03/2010 : 23:19:28
Oh there like 6 years old. It's just that almost 2 foot in size difference worries me. So the deeper the better? I guess I better rearrange my room... It's so confusing the tank size as if you go by length of snake = length + depth of the tank then the one he is in is tiny :/ but 4" by 2" seems a bit too big.
eeji Posted - 08/03/2010 : 23:14:33
be careful when you are reading about gallons too - a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon (US = 3.8 litre, UK = 4.5 litre)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/03/2010 : 23:02:40
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Would a 48" by 18.5" be good for the male? the problem is a 24" wide one is too big for where they are at the moment. I would love it it they could both have a 48" by 15" but I really not sure if he's too big.

They have already mated a few times and she laid her eggs in December/January. I just don't want this to happen again as I know it's not good for her. They have been in the same tank for years and I have never noticed her stressed but it's really just the size issue now.

I personally don't see what's wrong with co-habiting females that of a similar size and as long as the each have enough room after reading all the information on this site. I know some people will disagree but that's just how I see it.

Well everybody has their own issues, i just wouldn't want to risk it, atleast not when i know i can afford not too. I think the main problem is with young corns and males trying to breed when the female is too small.

You could get another tank of similar size but the male would be sufficient in that one and the female would be ok in a 3 foot tank. Especially one that is nice and deep.

Too be honest im not sure if they make 4 foot vivs which are 2 foot deep.
Sta~ple Posted - 08/03/2010 : 22:30:10
Would a 48" by 18.5" be good for the male? the problem is a 24" wide one is too big for where they are at the moment. I would love it it they could both have a 48" by 15" but I really not sure if he's too big.

They have already mated a few times and she laid her eggs in December/January. I just don't want this to happen again as I know it's not good for her. They have been in the same tank for years and I have never noticed her stressed but it's really just the size issue now.

I personally don't see what's wrong with co-habiting females that of a similar size and as long as the each have enough room after reading all the information on this site. I know some people will disagree but that's just how I see it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 08/03/2010 : 22:13:37
quote:
Originally posted by devilsmistress

To work out tank sise there is a simple way, length of snake = length + depth of the tank/viv so for your male I would get a 4foot by 2 foot or 48inch x 24 inch.
That any help?

Or, I would keep the male in that one and get a 3' {36 inch) tank for the female. Vivexotic do two 3 foot tanks. One which is 15 inches deep and another which is 18 inches deep. Either of these would be sufficient but apparently there is quite a difference in floor space between them.

That said, it sounds as if they are mating so you want to act as soon as possible. If ther female becomes gravid and the male is still in the tank she may become stressed.

The pet shop were i bought 2 of my 3 snakes also told me that more than one corn can be kept together, i knew that snakes where solitary animals and never planned on co habbiting but didnt realise just quite how many flaws there were to it untill joining this site. Particularly for juveniles.x
devilsmistress Posted - 08/03/2010 : 22:08:21
To work out tank sise there is a simple way, length of snake = length + depth of the tank/viv so for your male I would get a 4foot by 2 foot or 48inch x 24 inch.
That any help?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000