The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 viv building

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dinner83 Posted - 03/03/2010 : 18:37:40
hi all i have been offered some solid wood wardrobes and was wondering if they would be ok to use for viv building. im awhere that some wood is toxic to corns but would it be possible to seal it to stop it being a problem any advice would be great thanks phil
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jennet Posted - 06/03/2010 : 13:49:46
I have converted an old pine unit from Ikea into a viv stack, but I did seal it with 3 coats of non toxic sealant. I have had snake, beardie and leo's in there for well over a year now with no ill effects.

The only rider I would add to this, is if your snake likes a fully humid environement that some snakes require to keep them well and happy, I would err on the side of caution. Mine are just hoggies and corns, so only use a damp moss hide for them whilst in shed, and as it is contained in plastic box with small opening and I put it in cooler side of viv, have never seen the need to worry.

Matter of opinion... all will differ, but I know a few of us on here make a fair amount of our own stuff.
Pics for info...

hiper2009 Posted - 05/03/2010 : 15:32:58
quote:
Originally posted by dinner83

thanks for all the great advice everyone. think i will give these a miss and get some contiboard in stead to be safe.

Rather be safe then sorry.
dinner83 Posted - 05/03/2010 : 15:13:40
thanks for all the great advice everyone. think i will give these a miss and get some contiboard in stead to be safe.
n/a Posted - 04/03/2010 : 21:24:35
Oak should be ok as its not as sappy/resinous as something such as pine. Technically all wood excretes some form of sappy moisture as it was "living" at some point. Obviously it'll dry with age.

If it is oak I would cover it with a waterproof varnish and leave for at least a week once dry for all the varnish vapours to escape. Also I would seal the joins with a clear waterproof silicone sealent. This (obviously) waterproofs the joins and will help with cleaning (i.e. no hiding for mites) & hygine.

IMO melamine is better though (and easy to waterproof- if done properly can last years). It also is very easy to find, almost every home has something made from it, and is cheap.
dinner83 Posted - 04/03/2010 : 08:53:49
ye it was throu freecycle. is oak ok to use for vivs
n/a Posted - 04/03/2010 : 07:54:13
if its really old the chances are i prob wold be oak but if i was you be on the safe side go on freecycle and put a wanted post up for a melamine wardrobe
paul
dinner83 Posted - 03/03/2010 : 19:09:00
im not sure what wood it is yet the lad who said i could have them just said they where realy old solid wood i just wanted to find out if they would be ok befor i pick them up. is there no way of sealing them to make sure they are safe?
Kazerella Posted - 03/03/2010 : 19:02:01
I would use it unless I knew it was a safe wood. What type is it?

I have heard of some people using clear varnish to seal pine before, but I don't think I would risk it.
elament Posted - 03/03/2010 : 18:58:42
Same ere. Plastic laminated chipboard all the way i say. If it helps I know all forms of pine and european redwood exude toxins which are harmfull to snakes.
n/a Posted - 03/03/2010 : 18:48:51
tbh bud i wouldnt take the risk if its made from one of the toxic woods
paul

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000