The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding; anything to worry about?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Figs Posted - 01/03/2010 : 23:27:59
When i got Dinger a couple of weeks ago now i was told she was being fed on fuzzies. I tried her on them and she just wasnt interested at all.
I decided to get her a pinkie just to see if she would take it, and she did - as soon as she saw it, so i'm figuring she was hungry.

If she was taking fuzzies before, why wont she with me??
...i know she cant eat pinkies for ever
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Figs Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:16:51
thanks for all of the help guys :)
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 02:45:07
Everything Bengy has said is right Erin (as usual ). The guide for feeding is that the 'dinner's' girth is 1.5 times the size of the widest part of the snake's body girth, no bigger. Also, as Bengy said, as long as there is a bump after she has eaten then she is eating enough. You can work out when Dinger needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once she has eaten her 'dinner'.

I dont remember where you got Dinger from, but unfortunately you often cant trust the information given to you.

Do you know how much she weighs? This can help in working out what she should be feeding on....but is only a VERY ROUGH guide....

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)

As I said - this is only a rough guide and you will get to know Dinger enough to know what she needs and when she needs to move up in size.

xxx

n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 01:07:06
How much bigger does her belly look once the pinkie has settled there? If its obviously bigger then pinkies-to-large pinkies for now. If the pinkie makes not much increase in her belly roundness/girth, then I'd probably try 2 large pinkies and move up to fuzzies in a few weeks time after she's worked through a pack of large pinkies.

You would have had her a little longer by then too and you'll learn as you go what she can manage from signs like how long she takes to eat it, how big the belly area expands and how much effort she needs to put into it. As all of these decrease; its a sign to move up a size or at least offer an extra pinkie. (I would only ever go upto 2 x any size mouse per feed before moving up- some people do offer 3 but personally if they can eat 3 of one size they should be able to manage the next size pery).
Figs Posted - 02/03/2010 : 00:03:07
i'm not sure...
i asked the guy i got her from and he said fuzzies, but i didnt see them or anything
I just fed her today, but before that it was about 2 weeks ago (one being the settling in week)
At least she ate something though :)
HannahB Posted - 01/03/2010 : 23:59:20
was she definately on fuzzies or were they large pinkies?
id give her a few more med/large pinkies personally and then move her up to small fuzzies once shes ok on double pinkies,
when was she last fed?
i wouldnt worry about it though

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000