The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 not feeding any advice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 22:16:07
hi everyone just wanted some advice my 18 month male corn snake isnt eating properly he very active day and nite. 4 weeks ago he ate a medium mouse as normal then ate a second one got down to the tail then regurged it back up the following week he refused to eat week after he ate a small mouse and refused a second [gave him small just in case the medium were too big] now for the last 2 weeks he has eaten nothing not interested at all his temps are fine and he seems to be happy as alwzays just wondering how long he can go without food before i get worried thanks guys
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 20:34:44
i also have a female and would like to breed them she is eating fine at the mo
Stumpy Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:48:36
Last year Sid did the same he is fasting at the moment.
He did start eating again in April so this year I will leave him until then before feeding him, Although with two adults I do offer him a mouse every feed time, if he refuses it goes to Tango.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 16:12:48
ok great just been to reptile shop and he has said the same as all you thank you for putting my mind at rest will keep you all in formed xxxx
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 03:19:37
Am afraid I am repeating what Bengy has said (yet again) but adding a bit more from experience.

When I got Kellog he refused his first feed with me. That continued for 13 weeks. As a new owner I was terrified and that was when I found this forum, and they kept me sane while I drove them mad !!

They explained that the level of activity and his total lack of interest in food was natural 'horny' behaviour. They advised me to start weighing him every feed day so I could monitor his weight loss....and considering he went for that long without food he only lost 50g (if memory serves me right...which it usually doesnt ). They also told me to continue his feeding schedule as normal. It is so tempting to offer them food more regularly to try and get them to eat, but that just causes them more stress. So it was a case of every 5 days defrost mouse, dangle, be ignored, leave mouse in viv overnight, remove next morning. Imagine 13 weeks of that!! A lot of binned mice!! Then, suddenly, one morning...strike !!! Made me jump! But I was so relieved (and think the forum breathed a sigh of relief too !)

When he regurged did you leave him for 10 days before trying to feed him again? They need that time to let their gut flora settle after being upset by what has happened. You say that all his temps are fine, what are they? (just to be sure)

I would do as Bengy has suggested - firstly, dont panic (and I KNOW how easy that is to say and how difficult it is to do!). Just keep doing what you are doing. Wait a few feeds before you try any of the techniques suggested, other than warming it up to increase the smell.

Obviously, if there is a noticeable weight loss or he eats and regurges again then there is a problem that needs dealing with. I do hope that doesnt happen. Please let us know how he is doing.

xxx
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 00:39:29
On the food front it is probably down to the time of the year where natural fasting occurs, brumating (snake's "hibernation"), breeding etc. My male went about 6 or so weeks without feeding and has recently started to again. This has happened for the last 8 out of his 11 years, all under my ownership.

It is worrying as an owner but I would wait for at least 2 more feeds before I'd try anything other than heating the mouse up and leaving it in the viv overnight.

As far as the regurge and the following refusal of a 2nd mouse; this was probably a dietry choice the snake has made before "naturally fasting" i.e. he has been used to having 2 then decided for 1 before choosing not to.

Keep an eye on his weight during the fast (visually and weighing) and unless there is a noticable decrease he will be fine. I'd only begin to be worried if he didn't eat by say 8-10 weeks (my female has gone 13/14 weeks before now) and/or there was a noticeable weight loss. Or taking the mouse and regurging on consecutive feeds.

Hope this helps.
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 22:19:38
Try this thread
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000