The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 rosey cheeks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 01/03/2010 : 18:33:37
so i moved mildred to large pinkies the other day as the smaller ones were hardly leaving a bump but the fuzzies in the store were far to big. i must admit it did take her and extra minute or so to swallow the first one but the second went down in seconds, i gave her a check over today and noticed what seems to be bruising or red spots either side of her mouth, it seems her belly is growing but not her head. just wondering if this has happend to anyone else or should i put her back to the smaller prey
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 20:34:28

im not worried its just i hadent noticed it before only after i moved up pinkie size, it has faded though so i dont think its anything bad, thanks for all ur comments guys
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 19:00:45
If you're worried put a photo here of it for us to see?

LegLess does have 2 orange scales on her body. This is from where the Anery's differs to carolina/"normal" corns. They lack the ability to produce the orange/browny-red pigment the common corns have, erythrin I think its called. However it is normal for an anery to produce one or 2 "normal coloured" scales.

..... It could be that. Would need to see photo though.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 17:42:21
cheers guys, i know the head hasent much todo about the size of prey they can eat was just giving details, its just i hadnt seen them before and she a Anerythristic, the redness looks as if its under the scales not a scale it self, anyway dosent seem to much to worry about thanks again
DannyBrown91 Posted - 02/03/2010 : 13:52:55
Just to expand on hannahs statement both casper and my brothers ghost strike have a pinkish scale on either side of their face giving them the appearance of "Rosie Cheeks".
Kellog Posted - 02/03/2010 : 12:28:00
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

A snakes head is not an accurate way to determine food size, their jaw can distend massively when they eat, and will be capable of eating something far bigger than you would imagine!

These pics may give you some idea as to the size difference between 'dinner' and head size - you would never have thought Kellog would have fitted this jumbo mouse in....but he did!

The last pic shows just how much his jaw has distended to allow him to work his mouth around the mouse and 'walk' his mouth down it. Always so amazing to watch. These videos also show the difference in size quite well (in 2 parts I am afraid, sorry) -

Sorry for all the pics and video but I just wanted to put your mind at rest about the fact that they can handle something that just doesnt seem possible!!

xxx

(not sure why the video link didnt work....maybe a mod can help put it right cos I think it would help the OP to see a feed with a small mouth and a large mouse)

*edited by Kehhlyr to fix video links*
because Kellog is useless
mikerichards Posted - 02/03/2010 : 06:13:43
A snakes head is not an accurate way to determine food size, their jaw can distend massively when they eat, and will be capable of eating something far bigger than you would imagine! Its also unlikely that the snake would bruise itself while feeding its possible though that he has caught himself on something in the viv, but very unlikely.
n/a Posted - 02/03/2010 : 00:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by ants337

so i moved mildred to large pinkies the other day as the smaller ones were hardly leaving a bump but the fuzzies in the store were far to big. i must admit it did take her and extra minute or so to swallow the first one but the second went down in seconds, i gave her a check over today and noticed what seems to be bruising or red spots either side of her mouth, it seems her belly is growing but not her head. just wondering if this has happend to anyone else or should i put her back to the smaller prey

A corn snake's head is rather small, even as adults, compared to their length and other species of snake (their heads can look big in proportion to body width when hatchlings- the head looking small now is a sign Mildred is growing well). Probably would be more worried if the head looked too big!

When sizing the pery they eat; a snake's mouth or head is not really taken into account (i.e. the mouse girth being 1-1.5 X size of the snake's body girth at the widest part). Using this as a guide (and previous exp.) You may actually find she wouldn't struggle too much on "correct size" small fuzzies (you mentioned the fuzzies seemed rather large).

As hannah said what morph? Or a photo will allow us to give a more accurate answer.

As a general rule; if the snake thought the prey was too big, they normally won't eat it.
HannahB Posted - 02/03/2010 : 00:00:15
what morph is she again?
my libs has rosy red cheeks and has always had them

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000