The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heat Mats

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LAsweetie Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:12:25
Hi!
I just brought a new Viv, its a wooden one. I've read the instructions on the heat mat and it says to stick on the inside wall of the Viv, i just don't know what to stick it with. So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 27/02/2010 : 22:35:23
quote:
Originally posted by LAsweetie

Hey,
I have both Lessthanjase, thanks for replying btw.
Ok thanks Kehhlyer, um is there any risks of my corn getting burnt? because he likes to bury himself under the substrate sometimes.

looks like shes all stated up :)
elament Posted - 27/02/2010 : 20:08:07
Manufacturers reccommend that you stick your heatmat down to reduce the risk of the snake getting underneath the heatmat. The reason for this is because there is an air pocket between the underneath of the heatmat and the chipboard beneath it. Due to the way chipboard can store heat it is possible for this air pocket to get hotter than the surface of the mat and should your snake burrow underneath and get trapped there prolonged exposure to this amount of heat could harm your snake.
However the emphasis there is if the snake gets trapped therefore as kehhlyr pointed out if you dont tape the mat down there is little chance of the snake getting trapped so as long as your mat is correctly statted and regulated with a digital thermometer there is little chance of your snake getting burned as if it does go under the mat it will realise its uncomfortable and move. The main danger is if you tape down your mat and somehow your snake gets underneath it and gets trapped. If you do decide to tape down your mat the man at habistat recommended the use of brown parcel tape as its what they use apparently.
For what its worth having been told all this I decided to opt to not stick down my mats and weigh them down with heavy hides etc.

cheers

steve
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:52:00
Again- do you have a thermostat?

Apologies if you do but they are ESSENTIAL if you don't.
LAsweetie Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:40:08
He's 2 in June and i well post some pics soon, lol
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:36:57
I have 4 mats inside the vivs, as long as they are attached to stats and monitored by decent digital thermometers then there will be no danger.
n/a Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:31:44
no probs :) if you have a stat the mat should never be hot enough to burn your corn. cheers kehhlyr forgot about the sticking, anything sticky is dangerous for snakes. btw what your hypos age and get some pics posted its the rules! ;)
LAsweetie Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:27:13
Hey,
I have both Lessthanjase, thanks for replying btw.
Ok thanks Kehhlyer, um is there any risks of my corn getting burnt? because he likes to bury himself under the substrate sometimes.
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:19:41
And just to add to Lessthanjase' comment, you don't necessarily need to stick it down either.
Provided it has a stat, then a hide or substrate on top of it will be enough. Tape and some glues can cause untold problems on snakes.
n/a Posted - 27/02/2010 : 18:17:06
corns absorb heat through their belly's so it'll need to go on the floor of the viv at one end, do you have a themostat and a digi thermometer?

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000