The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Quick update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
morph2010 Posted - 22/02/2010 : 17:48:48

Hi all just quick update on harley

Fed on sat took him a while to eat he just dragged it beside him and held it for over an hour!?

Eventually he ate it with no problems

He still hides away now in the cool part of his viv and rarely comes out now worried he's not his usual self out exploring and peeping out of the glass

Viv is all set up fine now temps are all good, stat in place plenty of places to hide

measured and weighed him before his feed he's ;

32" and 8oz i'm feeding him on medium mice

dont look like he's ready to shed yet either

any ideas how i can cheer the poor fella up!!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
morph2010 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 23:12:30
my corns the same spends most of the time in cool hide, i'll leave it for now he has a a dip now and then in his water so should give him some moisture?
DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 22:38:48
quote:
Originally posted by morph2010

Thanks danny

I have two hides with moss inside, shall i dampen the moss in the hide in the warm side off viv?

I didn't put moss in the warm hide because casper uses her cool one so much but if your snake uses the warm hide a lot then it may be worth it. If you do dampen the moss in the warm hide don't put anything else in that will raise humidity as it could raise it too much although im not completely sure.
morph2010 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 19:31:27
Thanks danny

I have two hides with moss inside, shall i dampen the moss in the hide in the warm side off viv?

DannyBrown91 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 19:24:55
quote:

Thanks bengy

Just moved some of his substrate around to put some scent on around viv and noticed his eyes are dull

He must be ready to shed

Any advise, to i need to do anything with viv to help him, also how long does the shedding process take?

Thanks

If you wanted you could add a damp hide, or put a small water bowl in the warm end to help raise the humidity, but this may not be needed as corns tend to be ok unless you have a bad shedder.

Casper shed her skin yesterday, she was blue for around 3 or 4 days her eyes cleared and she shed 4 days later, so all in all it took around 8 days.
morph2010 Posted - 24/02/2010 : 19:18:26
Thanks bengy

Just moved some of his substrate around to put some scent on around viv and noticed his eyes are dull

He must be ready to shed

Any advise, to i need to do anything with viv to help him, also how long does the shedding process take?

Thanks
n/a Posted - 23/02/2010 : 00:45:41
quote:

i've had him over 3 weeks now
temps are 29 hot end and 25 cool end all the sides are covered now so its nice and dark in there now

first time i handled him was today after i let him settle for a week he was ok un coiled himself and had a sniff at the air his tongue was going mad, had him out for bout 15 mins

put him back in his tank he had a little explore for 30 mins now back in his hide

not sure when his last shed was will ring pet shop to see if they know

Was just about to suggest that!

Those temps are brilliant. I keep mine around 28-29*c so thats spot on. To me it just sounds like he's getting used to life with you! He should be feeling nice and secure with the changes you have made recently. Granted he was very active when you first got him, but most of this is down to abnormal circumstances i.e. travelling him back from the shop, let alone a new house with new smells and sounds to deal with.

I'd probably be more worried if he was up and about all the time as corn snakes do like to hide amongst their substrate and foliage as well as their hides! Although they can be quite active you won't see him doing laps of his viv like a hamster or gerbil!

He could be approaching a shed, which may explain a bit of inactivity. Once you have had him a while longer you will notice patterns and phases of activity, feeding and shedding cycles.

It might help, if you're not already, keeping a feeding, shedding and pooping schedule and note each activity. Hasn't got to be anything fancy; for example- just the date, type of food (weight or size as well as class i.e. fuzzie, small adult mouse) and maybe how easily/short/long it took him to eat.

Its normal to feel worried when you venture into keeping any pet, especially something with needs such as a snake. You wouldn't be a good keeper unless you did!

PS> with the food diary, can I suggest you buy some digital scales (ebay £8-10) and record his empty weight (just before a feed) once a month or after each shed (thats what I did when mine was small- still do but not so regular). While they are young and growing quicker than their adult years, this will help guage his growth and a guide that you are feeding him what he needs. The scales are useful to check the food weight too.

EDIT: grammar
morph2010 Posted - 22/02/2010 : 22:14:26
i've had him over 3 weeks now
temps are 29 hot end and 25 cool end all the sides are covered now so its nice and dark in there now

first time i handled him was today after i let him settle for a week he was ok un coiled himself and had a sniff at the air his tongue was going mad, had him out for bout 15 mins

put him back in his tank he had a little explore for 30 mins now back in his hide

not sure when his last shed was will ring pet shop to see if they know
n/a Posted - 22/02/2010 : 21:11:19
Well if he ate Saturday he will have been digesting it since then so he will be less active anyway...

If I remember right from your other thread, you've had him for about 2 weeks or a little over? It could be that he was really active when you got him as he was settling in and exploring and now his "normal" behaviour is more settled and it is just a contrast in your eyes to the difference in activity.

Having said that lets just go over a couple things:

1. What are your temps at the cold and hot ends?

2. Did you get around to covering the sides and roof with paper or similar to help make it more enclosed for him?

3. You had a photo on your "lifeless corn" topic of handling him. How is his behaviour when you handle him? i.e. Really active and alert, or still and stiff?

4. How often and for how long do you handle him?
elament Posted - 22/02/2010 : 18:43:18
Cant remember. How long you had him?

Editted to add: I ask for the following reasons....

Mainly to see how long he has been in the viv for this could just be the fact that he has settled and knows the layout so to speak

and secondly to see if you know the last time he shed as a period of inactivity is very often followed by the "blue" stage.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000