The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Off his food

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Stumpy Posted - 22/02/2010 : 17:35:06
Sid has stopped taking his food, when this first happened I was worried but as I keep a record of his feeding habits I notice that this time last year he went of food for three months so now I am not so concerned.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Stumpy Posted - 25/02/2010 : 16:31:34
Also I forgot to mention I feed him first so if he does not want to eat then Tango will eat it.
It does save wasting a mouse.
Stumpy Posted - 25/02/2010 : 16:30:09
As I have a few live mice I usually let him taste the area until he gets into hunting mode then I give him a freshly killed mouse.
I just thought I would mention that it is the time of year that tends to fit the hormonal cycle.
n/a Posted - 24/02/2010 : 22:45:48
Stumpy & tazdevil have you both read "the guide to non-feeding snakes" sticky?

It is very common for snake to go off their food, especially this time of the year (brumating/breeding season) and naturally fast.

Although 3 months isn't alarmingly long, but if you can get him back on his food sooner by using some of the tips then its obviously better. (Assuming you are not brumating & breeding them anyway) Although I probably wouldn't go as drastic as assist feeding at this point.

I have found, after defrosting the mouse, using a hairdryer to heat the mouse (esp. the head) and offering it to the snake right away works very well. Obviously not too hot to burn snakey!
newsnakekeeper Posted - 23/02/2010 : 19:33:43
Taz Devil my corn had one shed since i got him and he ate the day after but wont eat during the shed i think he likes to be different lol
Taz Devil Posted - 23/02/2010 : 17:23:08
I keep a good record of Sids eating, weight, growth and shedding and she seems to go off her food after shedding. She's usually a good weekly eater (I feed her on a thursday so that I can have some prime handling time on a Sunday) but after a shed she goes ages without eating.
Stumpy Posted - 23/02/2010 : 17:16:04
He has just started his fasting, last time it was three months and he only ate when I fed him a live mouse.
n/a Posted - 22/02/2010 : 21:17:05
Good good stumpy. Thats one of the main reasons why to keep a good record!

How long has he missed feeding for this time around? And how long did he stop eating last time?

As long as he keeps his weight up and its not a rediculous amount of time then he should be fine. (rediculous in snakes terms! I can't go 2 hours without food let alone 2 weeks!)
elament Posted - 22/02/2010 : 17:44:46
thanks stumpy always nice to hear i aint the only one with a hormonal snake

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000