The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 age and size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 22/02/2010 : 10:33:53
my snake is nearly two years old (20 month) s/he is 3'2'' at the mo eats a rat pup ever week no bother sheds about once a month, does the size of my snake sound right with its age?

many thanks
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 23/02/2010 : 05:23:40
How much does your snake weigh Shaun?

xxx
morph2010 Posted - 22/02/2010 : 18:01:27
Not sure age off mine he's 32" long and 80oz

the shop said he was 6 months old!!
mikerichards Posted - 22/02/2010 : 12:27:36
Rats aren't that bad, yes they are higher in fat, but they are also more nutritious and have more calcium due to more solid bone structure. The only real downside to feeding corns rats is the size. If you feed rats on 10 day period rather than 7 then its not a problem, if you feed mice more regularly than 5-7 days then you are gonna have a fat snake anyway. I feed my larger corns rats and they are not fat at all. I also used to have a corn that was fed on mice too regularly and she was fat!
If you feed sensibly, it doesn't matter what you use, as long as its not too much, or too little.

Edit : Chicks are a deffo avoid, they do sod all, even worse than mice and can be addictive, and very hard to get the snake off them!
DannyBrown91 Posted - 22/02/2010 : 12:00:55
I don't have experience feeding larger snakes as all mine are still small and are on pinkies although i will be trying a small fuzzy on the larger of the 3 next feed.

But i know that rats arn't ideal for corns as they are high in fat. ideally you want to get them back onto mice, there are two perks to getting them back onto mice. 1 they are not as high in fat as rats and are better for corn snakes. 2 the jumps in size arn't as big so it is much easier to gradually increase the size of the prey than it is with rats.

As for how much it should be eating i would take the advice from one of the more experienced owners who has larger snakes such as MikeRichards.
mikerichards Posted - 22/02/2010 : 11:21:51
Rat pups are too small for her if she is 3ft, you want small mice now I would think. The next size up on rats would be too big. Mine are between 1.5 and 2.5 ft and are on small mice.
HannahB Posted - 22/02/2010 : 10:37:21
rats arent the best thing for corns - at that length im guessing a medium mouse once a week or a large mouse every 12days would be ok
n/a Posted - 22/02/2010 : 10:35:22
dont worry not skinny kind of thin lol
n/a Posted - 22/02/2010 : 10:34:50
still pretty thin aswell like

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000