The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 shedding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
izzy Posted - 14/02/2010 : 18:30:37
Sorry new to this how often do they shed, and what do i look for ???
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:42:52
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Mine always eat when they are in shed

Some do some don't I guess.... me exaggerating for the 1,000,000th time!
mikerichards Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:22:05
As above really, younger snakes do tend to shed quite often, most of my younger ones tend to go every 3 weeks, once or twice i have had one shed twice in a month.
The other reason for increased shed cycle is if the snake has a cut or something similar, they heal under the skin so to speak and shed the bad skin away.
My Boa, wonky nose, she has a salmonella infection in her nose, she had a hole about the size of my little finger nail right where her nostril should be, it was treated with F10 cream, when it started healing, she was shedding every 10 days or so, she did this for about 6 weeks, now shes back into a normal cycle and her nose is more or less healed, minus a nostril!
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:16:51
Mine always eat when they are in shed
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:08:34
Hi Izzy, this depends mostly on the snake's age. Hatchlings will tend to shed around once a month sometimes even every three weeks. They all grow at different rates, mine hasn't; but I have seen snake feeding/shedding charts of sheds in two-week intervals!

The time between sheds will gradually increase as they grow. To give you an idea my 11 year old, LegLess, sheds around 6-9 times a year or about every 6 or 8 weeks.(without double-checking her shed record)

Their eyes will go cloudy silver/blue (we call this "going blue" or "blue phase") and this can be for a couple of days usually. They will then look normal again then the snake will shed, usually at night time when your asleep!

NOTE: Just to make you aware, when in the blue phase, your snake will have reduced eyesight so its always advisable not to disturb him/her unless it is absolutely necessary. They will also 99/100 refuse to eat approaching its shed cycle, so don't worry if he/she won't feed in this time. Once they have shed, they will normally be ready to eat straight after.

I would also encourage you to keep a feeding/shedding diary when the snake eats and sheds. Some people also keep track of their snakes poop (as it is only a few times a month, usually a few days after eating). These will help you realise patterns in their diet and growth.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000