The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Set Up???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 14:48:33
OK, so I'm new to the site and snake keeping. I adopted my snake in his current set up from a friend and to be fair it doesn't seem half bad.

However I would ideally like to get a new Viv, I'm just wondering if there is a preferred manufacturer/type to be looking for, also Trevor currently has a bulb looking heater, but somebody mentioned that a heat mat would be better... Your thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/02/2010 : 21:20:24
Dont be silly, the only stupid questions are the ones you dont ask.
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 21:10:21
Sorry, I do feel like I'm asking stupid questions, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing..
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/02/2010 : 20:15:41
quote:
Originally posted by Maryjayne

Well, will I still need a Thermostate with a heat pad? if not, then I already have a hole ready for it, otherwise I may have to drill another one.

Most definitely!!
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 20:11:37
Well, will I still need a Thermostate with a heat pad? if not, then I already have a hole ready for it, otherwise I may have to drill another one.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 15/02/2010 : 00:26:06
Yes i would also leave it for now untill he has settled in for a week, give him a chance to get used to your smell and the smells in the house etc.

When you do put the heat mat in you may need to drill some holes and things for the wires and take the plug off and then refit it so it may be best to put him in somesort of rub or something for a bit, but im not completely sure wether there is already holes and things, obviously you will know this for yourself but just thought i would point it out.
n/a Posted - 15/02/2010 : 00:10:58
Ha ha, I was just looking at the series of photos I took, when I took the one of his viv up there ^^, and that little blip you can just see peeking the open window is actually Trev saying Hello.... Sorry 4 stella's and thats all of a sudden become quite amusing.....

Peek a boo!!
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 23:42:16
quote:
Originally posted by Maryjayne

Well considering he's been under the same heater for at least 2 years, I don't think it'll do him any harm staying nder it for a couple more days

Exactly.

Give us a photo update when you've done it so we can see the changes!
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 21:04:36
Well considering he's been under the same heater for at least 2 years, I don't think it'll do him any harm staying nder it for a couple more days, I also want to get him some more things for the Viv, a proper hide, as currently he only has bark and a nice dragon skull that he can slither all over... So if I buy them all together I'll change them all add them altogether in a couple of days or so.
Thanks for all the advice.... :0}
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:27:46
As he has a form of heat already I would wait. Then do it when you hold him (get someone else to put it in).

Or you could do it now, get all the stress over with, and then wait another week from now. (well tomorrow when you get it).

I'd probably wait if it was me.
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 20:24:56
I think a nip to the shop is in order, if I get a heat mat tomorrow, is it going to be too intrusive to do whilst he is still in his weeks settling in/solitude stage, or should I wait till that time is up before changing it?
Thanks again
DannyBrown91 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 17:35:35
Your viv sounds like a Vivexotic LX36. The air temp isn't too important aslong as the air temp in your room isn't dramatically cold and you don't have the viv near an open window you will be fine.

You are deffinitely better off with a heat mat though.
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 17:02:19
Heat mats are definatly the way to go then... will the air temp not matter then? or do I still need to monitor it? and if it is to cold, how would I then heat it up?
Trev's current Viv is:
Length: 36.5 inch (A tad over 3ft)
Height: 23.0 inch (1'9")
Deep: 15.0 inch (1'25")
I do apologise for all the questions, I would like to be sure that Trevor is a happy and comfortable fella
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 15:56:37
I am just about to move my three corns into a viv stack 40 inches across, 24 inches deep and 17 ish inches high- more than enough space. My biggest corn is 5 foot 6 inches and will look pretty small compared to the amount of space!!

In a 36 inch (3 foot) viv a 17x11 inch heatmat is usually perfect for your heating requirements.
mikerichards Posted - 14/02/2010 : 15:50:57
Hi, a ceramic heater will heat the air in a viv and create a hotspot on the floor, but a heat mat will only heat whats touching it, which is the preferred method for a corn to heat itself. A heatmat will probably be cheaper than the ceramic aswell!
Viv size, for a full grown, a 3 foot would be adequate, plenty of space for them to wander about, 18 or 24 inches tall would be ideal.
Length is more important that height really, although corns do climb, they dont depend on it, whereas stretching out is more important, and will keep them happier!
Stick up another pic of the heater, i cant see your first pic! Tell a lie, i can now, it is a ceramic, and to be honest, expensive to run and not really what you need, or want, a heat mat is the way to go.
n/a Posted - 14/02/2010 : 15:45:23
So will a heat mat have the ability to warm the Viv in the same way as a heater then? I must admit, the heater takes up a lot of room and to have it out the way would open the Viv up so much more...
Vivexotic? I think that might be what I have already.
What size viv should I be looking at for a fully grown corn, I'm not to sure whether the hight is as important as the length...
SexyBear77 Posted - 14/02/2010 : 15:13:43
Heat mats are indeed better for corns as they prefer their heat to come from underneath the belly.

I like Vivexotic vivs, especially the VX range as they have extra floor space. It is just personal preference though.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000