The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Lighting question ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 09/02/2010 : 22:48:52
Hi all,

First off I know snakes dont need lights in their vivs and they are for human benefit only.

But on that note I am building my own vivs for Tiny, Snowy and my sons eventual new corn. I would like to put lighting in there and from what I have read on here LED lights are better as flourescent ones annoy them.

Could anyone tell me what they use in their vivs and where they got them from and price etc. I am having real trouble finding some for a reasonable price etc.

thanks for any help.
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 11/02/2010 : 15:53:03
Yes mom2 Xena is a bit older she was born (hatched) in april/may. Really impressive of your son to spend his money on steve. MAkes a change to hear it instead of the usual bank of mum n dad lol
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 14:07:18
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

That really is very impressive of your son to sell his belongings like that, you must be very proud!!

Reptile shopping really is so much fun, but unfortunately requires money so I can't do much of it atm!!

Totally proud as he originally was going to get an ipod touch with the money, you can imagine my surprise when he said he wanted to use it for Steve instead.
I totally agree about shopping, i am constantly looking at what i can buy him next..lol need my own really but hubby still not budging
SexyBear77 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 13:58:17
That really is very impressive of your son to sell his belongings like that, you must be very proud!!

Reptile shopping really is so much fun, but unfortunately requires money so I can't do much of it atm!!
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 13:46:14
were looking at getting a viv for Steve now too, am bidding on one on ebay which is 36x24x12, will place Steve's faun in there with lots of things for him to hide under too, will keep an eye and see how he goes, he loves being out on my son's double bed so i don't think we will have too much trouble with him. fingers crossed anyway!!
Can't wait to set it all up, we went up our local reptile place the weekend and was looking at all the things we can get for his new home.
My son has even sold his sony psp and accessories so he can buy Steve's viv and accessories himself, i'm so proud of him, he is only 9yrs old bless him.
Xena is a few months older than Steve though isn't she? We think Steve was born about the end of Oct 09.
elament Posted - 11/02/2010 : 12:48:22
Xena is not far off the same size now. Still cant believe how alike the two are they could be twins lol. I got xena in her own viv now mom2, a 24x12 but to be fair before i got her she was in a rub that is 36x18 so I think she was already used to big spaces and she has lots of hides and cover in there.
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 12:25:12
quote:
Originally posted by elament

how big is steve now mom2?

his last shed was about 17 inches, i was told to take 10% of that for a rough idea on how big he is, which works out to about 15.3 inches
He wont sit still long enough for me to measure him properly..lol
elament Posted - 11/02/2010 : 11:44:49
I do gaz but I am thinking of replacing them now with them stick on led jobbies
Gaz_1989 Posted - 11/02/2010 : 11:26:20
Can you use normal house bulbs? The energy saving ones?

Thanks

Gaz
elament Posted - 11/02/2010 : 09:38:22
how big is steve now mom2?
n/a Posted - 11/02/2010 : 07:57:39
i just bought these to go in Steve's new viv once we get one. They look really cool. Thanks for the link FP.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190371990402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
elament Posted - 10/02/2010 : 20:34:01
correct flourescents no no
Paul Hume Posted - 10/02/2010 : 20:05:33
So just to double check flourescents are a no no ?
elament Posted - 10/02/2010 : 18:53:35
Your snakes wont be bothered by the lack of light but you will be when you cant see in the viv lol. What you use is a matter of personal preference as its for your benefit mainly but by rule of thumb steer clear of anything that gives off heat (spotlight bulbs regular bulbs etc) as this will affect the ambient temprature of your viv and therefore your stats.
Paul Hume Posted - 10/02/2010 : 18:25:28
I wish my room was flooded with light! it is fairly dark in our living room which wasn't so bad when they are in their fauns but once they are in their vivs which 3 sides are wooden im just worried it may be a bit dark in there.
n/a Posted - 10/02/2010 : 17:04:06
quote:
Originally posted by Flatpack63

I use both white and blue stips of led lights for Menthol, Mainly for decorative purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190357015501

those look fab will have to look at them when Steve is ready for his viv.
elament Posted - 10/02/2010 : 16:13:19
Both my vivs came with bulb holders and spotlight bulbs (dunno why but my rep dealer thought I needed them) I binned the spotlight bulbs and replaced them for energy savers but TBH they are hardly ever on as the room I have my vivs in is flooded with daylight (have big windows). However after reading this thread I will be on lookout for some led battery ones
Flatpack63 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 23:44:59
I use both white and blue stips of led lights for Menthol, Mainly for decorative purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190357015501

Kehhlyr Posted - 09/02/2010 : 23:43:19
I got some stick on LED's, 4 rechargable batteries and a charger from poundland. £3 total.

Although I was dubious as to how long the batteries and charger would last safely, I've had them for about a year now and they've not failed me yet. About once a week the batteries are charged.
The lights last for a fair few hours as well, although not as long as they should, considering they're LED, but long enough.

HannahB Posted - 09/02/2010 : 22:55:39
i got some little stick on LED lights from wilkos..take 3 aaa batteries although am not sure how long the batts will last for, you just click them and they come on
got em for about £4 for 2 from wilkos if that helps

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000