The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Heating.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 08/02/2010 : 23:06:52
Hey everyone ive got a 11x11 hest mat for my heating in the warm end under my substrate in a VX36 wooden viv, im not sure if this is sufficent heat for my corn snake or should I buy a infared heat bulb also or do yuo think this is ok just aving second thoughts about this, I know corn snakes pefer under belly heat not sure to keep both r what to do any advice would be great thanks,
Luke.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 10/02/2010 : 12:43:08
Fairplay Gaz just make sure you somehow fix the probes to the mat so that stella cant knock them off and cause the mat to overheat For what its worth I got mine attached to a big heavy hide so they cant move
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/02/2010 : 11:05:05
Okay.

I can get a bigger mat at the weekend. But i havent got any more lino, which brings us back to the old topic, to seal or not to seal.

So i will probably just let it be held down by the hide.

It will be statted anyway.

Thanks

Gaz
elament Posted - 10/02/2010 : 10:19:01
If you can afford it gaz go get one you will much better off with the bigger mat.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 10/02/2010 : 08:40:20
So on that note GP do you think that a 11" x 11" is of little use in a 36" x 18" viv? and a 17" x 11" is required?

Thanks

Gaz
gingerpony Posted - 09/02/2010 : 20:52:02
i agree, there's no benefit to placing it centrally...........

bearing in mind ideally we aim to heat one half to one third of the floor space, an 11"x11" heats about a quarter - enough to heat a warm hide but nowhere else outside the hide..........
Gaz_1989 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 19:39:56
Danny - Why would putting it central make a difference? The same surface area is still being heated surely?

Gaz
elament Posted - 09/02/2010 : 16:41:38
yep
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 16:34:28
Elament, both would produce the 30 degrees needed just in a much smaller place.

They say atleast 1/3 of the viv should be covered so a 11 x 17 would be best. You could get away with an 11 x 11 if you put it central inone end of the viv, so only the edges are cold.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:59:32
I am using an 11" x 11" in a VX36 Luke.

I was told the same as you, 17" x 11" would be preferred and 11" x 11" is the minimum in that viv really, but it will do the job.

Gaz
eeji Posted - 09/02/2010 : 14:10:35
an 11x11 will get to the same temperature as a 17x11, just in a smaller area. as posted above 11x11 is pretty much as small as you could go with a 36x18 viv
elament Posted - 09/02/2010 : 11:09:56
Its about borderline Danny. an 11x17 is far preferable but the 11x11 would probably generate enough heat in a "warm spot" for the snake. Trouble would be cold end temps but in a centrally heated house you would prob get away with it.
DannyBrown91 Posted - 09/02/2010 : 10:54:21
I would have thought the 11x11 heat mat would be too small for that viv personally. Atleast 1/3 of the viv should be heated, meaning you would need a mat around 11x17.

As already said the bulb is a waste of time as snakes get heat from their bellies, unless your snake likes lying on his back that is.

elament Posted - 09/02/2010 : 09:46:01
As far as I know the VX36 is a 36x18" Viv. You can use that 11x11" mat but would have perhaps been a little better off with an 11x17. THe bulb is a waste of time as Kellog has already said. Just make sure you regulate the mat correctly by using a good thermostat and an equally good digital thermometer (preferably the type that has a probe). If you attach the probe for the thermostat to the probe for the thermometer with rubber bands (do not use tape as it is harmful to snakes) you will be able to take an accurate temprature reading at exactly where the thermostat probe is which (according to the manufacturers) should be in direct contact with the surface of the heatmat. THe heatmat should have little or no substrate covering it and should be attached to the bottom of the viv preferably with aquarium sealant to stop the snake getting under the heatmat which is most dangerous.
And finally if you decide to use a light in the viv go for an energy saver as they do not give off much heat and will therefore not affect the running of the stat. Using a heatbulb or spotlamp bulb will only raise the ambient temprature of the viv in which case your thermostat will turn off the mat and your snake will not be able to get heat from its belly during the day which can be an issue if it is digesting a meal and needs the heat.
Hope that helps
steve
Kellog Posted - 09/02/2010 : 04:13:17
I am afraid that I am no good on sizes Luke, so cant tell you whether your mat is the right size for the viv....but it certainly should be all you need to heat the viv as long as it is controlled by a thermostat and double checked with a digital thermometer (thermostats are notoriously unreliable). You are right about the fact that corns absorb their heat from their underside, so increasing the ambient temperature in the viv is no help to your corn.

Others will be able to give you better advice about what size of mat to use in that size of viv, all I know is that it needs to cover at least a third of the area of the viv and then be lightly covered with the substrate. What are the temps in your viv at the moment?

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000