The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 What to do about Fuzzies ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 08/02/2010 : 18:01:26
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema. I copied a feeding chart off of here a while back so I know weight to food size etc.

It says on there that up to 30g is 1 small fuzzie and then 30 to 50g she should move on to normal size fuzzies.

My question is when I went to the rep shop to buy the fuzzies I have they didnt ask me which size I wanted. they are all the same size and when I weighed one tonight they are the weight of the small fuzzies. I am assuming that this is the only size that the shop sell otherwise surely they would have asked me what size I wanted.

Tiny was 29.9 when I weighed her tonight before her feed so by this she should be moving up but to what if I can't get "normal" size fuzzies.

could someone please advise and maybe even show a pic of a "small" vs "normal" fuzzie?

thanks for all your help
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 09/02/2010 : 04:41:09
As SB has said, that guide is purely a rough guide to give you some idea as to what your snake may need to move onto....it definitely isnt 'gospel' !!

I am not sure how many fuzzies you bought and therefore how many feeds it will cover....but I would think that the best plan of action is to weigh them all and feed Tiny the smallest first and slowly work your way up to the biggest as the final feed before getting your next batch in. I am sure it is not for a long enough period of time to worry about her not being on what she may need.

You could weigh them out and see if 2 fuzzies equal the approx weight you think she needs, then maybe you could feed her the bigger fuzzies first and work your way up to feeding her 2 of the smaller fuzzies - am I making any sense at all!! (please forgive the brain fog I do know what I am trying to say just not wording it very well!)

Hope I havent made too much of a mess of explaining this, I am sure someone will come along soon and decipher what I have said and put it properly!

xxx

gingerpony Posted - 08/02/2010 : 21:21:05
fuzzies are fuzzies.............if you bulk-buy you can pick out or weigh out the smallest of that particular batch to feed first if your snake has just moved up, or you can ask your local rep shop to pick out the smallest ones they've got but if you ask for fuzzies you'll just get whatever number you're requested

i DO bulk buy and DO regrade them, anything above 50g i usually feed to my big boa as she still likes an XL mouse as a starter lol the 40-49g mice i feed to my adult males as they're only fed every 10-14 days, and the females get the 30-39g mice fed weekly-ish
eeji Posted - 08/02/2010 : 18:41:03
she'll be fine with what you have - it won't do any harm if you give varying sizes of prey each week.
SexyBear77 Posted - 08/02/2010 : 18:08:01
Just use what you've got and make up the weight she needs- 2 small fuzzies?

I have never weighed prey, or used the snakes weight to judge what they should be getting, go just on gut instinct and its usually fine.

The chart really is only a rough guide, its not Gospel

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000