The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Controlling humidity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RichyP1987 Posted - 07/02/2010 : 04:26:01
Hi guys this is my first post so hopefully it is in the right place!

I just have a quick question regarding humidity for my corn's viv.
I have two dial hygrometers in the warm and cold ends of the viv. I'm a newbie when it comes to keeping snakes so I'm trying to be cautious. The warm end is typically 50% and the cold end 60-65%. I'm concerned that this is too high for my corn as I have read that around 40% is ideal for them (risk of RI's e.t.c.). On the other hand I have heard that the dial hygrometers are next to useless and I would be better off with a digital one. I should add that I'm using aspen substrate in a wooden viv, heat mat and no heat lamp. There are no obvious signs of consensation.

Thanks!
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 08/02/2010 : 21:00:57
i think you'll find the vast majority of keepers don't worry or even monitor humidity for corns, providing the set-up is dry eg. you're not using unbaked orchid bark
elament Posted - 07/02/2010 : 13:13:22
If you are that concerned you could try putting more vents in the viv. My viv both have a long grill vent that goes all the way along the top at the back and humidity has never been an issue (baring in mind more vents will mean more heat loss although its not a problem for me as my house is warm all the time)
RichyP1987 Posted - 07/02/2010 : 04:37:29
Cheers! She seems happy enough as she is feeding, just wanted to make sure.
Kehhlyr Posted - 07/02/2010 : 04:32:24
I'd personally ignore what they say completely. You'd probably get a 90-100% humidity reading off those in the devils bowl.

Provided you have no obvious damp in the viv and the viv is kept in a 'normal' room in the house, then I'd imagine that the humidity is ok.

Obviously if you have the water bowl on top of the heat mat it'll raise the humidity a bit, but in the short term it wont cause any problems.
The cold end will always give a slightly different reading when it comes to humidity purely because it's cooler.

And welcome to the forum.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000