The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 is it normal that my snake ocassanlly rattles his

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:02:20
is it normal that my snake occasionally rattles his tail?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 07/02/2010 : 06:22:58
ok
Kellog Posted - 07/02/2010 : 05:36:05
Do agree about the size of your sig Fernando, it would help those with smaller screens and old computers if it wasnt so big. Also, you could have found the information about how to make your own signature had you used the search button.

xxx
eeji Posted - 06/02/2010 : 21:53:30
any chance you can crop it a bit more, its taking up 3/4 of my screen! :D
Fernando Pierre Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:58:54
ok
reptiledanny Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:57:28
fernando, you might want to crop your pic down to size, it's huge. just takeaway the top.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:22:57
thanks!!!!
gmac Posted - 06/02/2010 : 19:03:03

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7346
Fernando Pierre Posted - 06/02/2010 : 18:56:11
how do you add a picture to your signature?
elament Posted - 06/02/2010 : 11:16:18
Well said Kellog
Fernando Pierre Posted - 06/02/2010 : 11:03:34
ok thanks for the info i will do so and i have left mynew corn for a week before handling him and i will do so with my "old" corn.
Twi Posted - 06/02/2010 : 10:59:41
Ginger rattles at me when he's in his hide to tell me he wants me to leave him alone
Kellog Posted - 06/02/2010 : 10:57:23
How long do you handle your corn for Fernando? He should only be out for about 5 to 10 minutes as he is still a new snake to you and getting used to being handled. As has already been said, snakes dont want to be handled but will tolerate it once they have gotten used to it, but that takes a lot of time and patience and it is definitely better to do it for small period of times. I know you say he curls up and watches tv with you...but you are putting human emotion onto him, when he is probably scared and has gone still as he would if he felt under threat in the wild...having found a rock to hide under (or your jersey in this case).

I also echo what Sammysnake said about the one-week rule, because as far as I remember you didnt follow that advice. It may be necessary to do that now and I do hope you have done that with your new snake.

Be careful about treating him as a pet...he isnt one, he is a wild animal that is being brought up in captivity and we get the pleasure of enjoying watching them, feeling them when we do handle them - BUT they do only tolerate us...it is not a case of enjoying and wanting to interact with us.

xxx
elament Posted - 06/02/2010 : 10:37:36
What you have got to remember as I have said in another thread this morning is that snakes are not like kittens they are not and will probably never be fully domesticated and as such have to get "used to" being handled by something they would normally regard as a threat as we are so much bigger than them. Imagine if a huge big thing took the roof off your house and lifted you out once a day. For the first few times you would be terrified until you "get used" to it and regard it as normal. The same basic instinct applies to your snake and he is telling you he doesnt understand what you are and is regarding you as a threat.
Persevere and try some of the advice above and he will eventually "get used" to you. IMO not all corns are the same and some "get used" to you quicker than others so be patient it will come right in the end.
Sammysnake Posted - 06/02/2010 : 07:35:50
Saracen is nervous at being picked up. He is much more relaxed if I open the viv and then wait for him to settle for a minute before approaching, slowly put my hand near for him to smell for a bit and then pick him up from underneath with very slow movements. Try that Fernando, it might help.

Also, as a few people have already asked - when you first got your snake did you give it a whole week to settle in before trying to hold it? If the answer is no, it might be worth doing that now for both of your snakes so they can get used to all the sounds and smells around them and relax.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 20:02:26
ok cool and he has plenty of hide and artificial plants.
n/a Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:40:47
Is there plenty of hides and artificial plants for him to feel secure in his viv? And yes its best to open the viv and approach him slowly but confidently. Or let him come out to you when you opened it as I said.

DannyBrown91 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:40:36
As everybody has said, hes probably just nervous, the rattling of the tail is telling you to go away and leave him alone, its a defence mechanism.

Did you give him a week to settle in?
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:33:06
he doesn't go straight to my jersey he normally hangs aroung my hand and my neck and then when i sit down and watch T.V. he likes to go in to my shirt then pop his head out and watch!
HannahB Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:20:01
hes probably trying to hide from you if hes going straight to hide in your jersey
did you give him a week to settle in?
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 19:17:16
well i have only had him for 2 weeks and i am VERY new at this! so i should scoop him up from the bottom? and ya he is probably still getting used to me and me handling him but as soon as i pick him up he stops rattling and goes to bed in my jersey!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000