The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 heat mat in the viv

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reptiledanny Posted - 04/02/2010 : 20:11:25
well just thought i would make a new post as suggested by element about the heat mat situation. So what is the best way to have a heat mat in the viv. lets carry the conversation on from before
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 15:43:55
I just noticed actually both my vivs have sealant in the corners at the bottom (i didnt build em) guess its in case of spillages though I havent had a spillage problem yet I got proportionately big heavy water bowls and any moisture produced by the snakes usually gets soaked up by the aspen I guess so I wouldnt know. Havent noticed any stains on the bottom of the viv when I have done the full clear out etc

editted to add...plus i think that is a bit of a cop out on the manufacturers part that the warrenty relies on the buyer doing the work satisfactorily themselves. If its that important they should build the vivs and seal em themselves
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 15:24:33
Moisture from where?
sexychef Posted - 05/02/2010 : 15:20:51
to prevent any moisture getting into into any cracks
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 14:37:04
Why do you need to seal it gaz? I dont think mine are
Gaz_1989 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 13:23:15
Thanks for reply GP.

Danny - Yes i would reccomend sealing viv. I am doing mine tomorrow. It is reccomended by the manufacturer of my viv, incorrect sealing can invalidate the warranty.

Gaz
reptiledanny Posted - 05/02/2010 : 12:27:16
do you need to sealent your viv. didn't think this wasworth making a new topic, making my viv tonight as the other parts are meant to coming today. do i need to get aquarium sealent to seal the edges in case water gets knocked
gingerpony Posted - 05/02/2010 : 12:08:20
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

GP - You say you put both probes together on top of the substrate in the warm hide...

How much substrate do you use? Just a couple of mm scattering? And aim for 30c in there?

i use paper in most of my vivs and put the probes on top, i then add some shredded in cooler parts of viv for burrowing/cover
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 10:00:20
I used to have both my probes at substrate level but I found that when I did the heatmat would read about 34c while the substrate was around 29. I was worried that should my snakes burrow to the heatmat then 34 would be too warm so I moved both probes so they are in contact with the mat. (which is how the manufacturer says you should have them)However having said that the result is colin now burrows to the heatmat whereas before he was happy to just sit on top of the substrate. Eurorep also says that you should have little or no substrate covering your mat. I think (and its only my personal opinion) that by having the probes in direct contact with the mat you can accurately be sure that the snake cant come into contact with anything warmer than 30c so I think its a case of finding out what works best for you and your snake.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 08:43:12
I am in the process of setting up a new viv so will be taking all of this advice on board and i am still trying to decide the best way to fit and monitor my heat mat...

GP - You say you put both probes together on top of the substrate in the warm hide...

How much substrate do you use? Just a couple of mm scattering? And aim for 30c in there?

Thanks

Gaz
Budaholic Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:38:54
I don't have anything covering my mat other than about 1/4 inch of aspen. Stat/therm probes directly on the mat, under the hot hide.

I do have a pulse proportional stat though so the temp stays nice and constant. Worth the extra ££ IMO.

If I had a regular on/off stat, I'd probably cover it with a piece of thin lino.
sexychef Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:37:05
i put a ceramic tile over my mats as they spread the heat out and stay warmer longer so save on elecy. also the snake cant get under a ceramic floor tile
elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:30:46
I spoke on the phone today to a bloke from eurorep who makes the mats and stats. I have put this already on the other thread but for those that havent seen it this is what he said...

The probes for both stat and thermometer should be attached to the mat. It makes no odds which way up you put the mat as it works the same both ways. The reason why snakes shouldnt be allowed to get under a mat is because underneath it there sometimes is an air pocket which gets hotter than the mat does due to the contact between the warm mat and the melamine covered chipboard of the viv as chipboard is a good conducter of heat it is possible (he said possible) that a patch under the mat could theoretically get hotter than the surface of the mat. He said and I quote there are various ways of making sure a snake cannot get underneath the mat but the biggest no no is when the snake gets under the mat and cannot escape (if for instance you taped it down and it somehow still got under) He said if the snake can still move the mat and it can escape it will get uncomfortable and move however if it is trapped there prolonged exposure to the heat would do it damage and or possibly kill it.
He said the best way to use the equipment was to have little or no substrate over the mat and regulate the tempreture of the mat by having both stat and thermo probes attached to the mat (which he added they do with glue not silicone as the silicone barrier between heatmat and probes can cause the stat to be off by a degree or so).

Thats what he said to me so I passed it on

cheers

steve
SexyBear77 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:02:07
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i don't cover my mats as they're all thermostatically controlled, the mats are effectively pinned down with decor such as hides and rocks.

i rubber-band my stat and therm probes together and have them on top of the substrate inside the warm hides

Ditto this, I dont bother with stuff like tiles and sealant.
gingerpony Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:56:04
i don't cover my mats as they're all thermostatically controlled, the mats are effectively pinned down with decor such as hides and rocks.

i rubber-band my stat and therm probes together and have them on top of the substrate inside the warm hides
matty18714 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:22:28
I have mine covered with lino, which is stuck down with aquarium selant and sealed around the edges. Stat and temp probes are then stuck flat onto the lino with selant.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000