The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Viv hot spot

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MacSpud Posted - 04/02/2010 : 13:49:23
Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a larger Viv and currently getting the various temps to stabilise.

The cool end is ambient at 20C and the warm end is 27.5C and monitored at the stat sensor which while it isn't in the exact center of the heat mat is definitely over it.
However I've run a separate thermometer temporarily inside what will be the warm hide and it's reading 34C which I assume is due to the cave keeping the heat in.

Do people think having this isolated hot spot will be a problem? The snake can avoid the cave since I'm setting up plenty of plant cover as well and may prefer it after meals.
If it is a problem how can I get rid of it without bringing the other temps down?

TIA
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:51:29
i personally rubber-band my therm and stat probes together and have them above the substrate, i'd aim for the temp in the warm hide to be at the warmer end of the recommended range - 30-32*C max as this is where the snake is most likely to be. and i don't think it's a hotspot on the mat it's just a hotspot where you've put the hide as yes it will keep heat in
eeji Posted - 04/02/2010 : 19:35:45
move the hide a bit so its not completely over the heat mat, problem solved ;)
HannahB Posted - 04/02/2010 : 17:29:03
i have a glass exo terra viv and have found that its better to put the stat probe inside the viv - the glass gets so much hotter than the mat - i have my temp probe and stat probe under the aspen directly over the mat
elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:47:38
Both Probes need to be attached to the mat. It doesnt matter which way you put the mat copper side up or down it works the same both ways and its best having very little or no substrate covering the mat. Just had that from the bloke at eurorep who makes mats and stats.

He should know he reckons in 20 years of making mats they have never had one catch fire (how reassuring)

edit sp
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:24:13
Yeah see how you meant it straight away. I'm trained to work with numbers all day- words baffle me most of the time!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:19:06
No worries bengy, i thought you were saying that i had suggested to put them on the substrate, and dont do what gaz says, lol.

Lol, what you wrote could of been taken both ways, no probs buddy.

Gaz
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:17:52
Ok MacSpud play around with them a bit. As you have glass, put the probes on the very bottom of the viv i.e. in direct contact with the glass base.
MacSpud Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:15:11
I'm using a glass exo terra and so the heat mat is outside the viv. I'm just curious since all my probes are sitting on top of the aspen and it's a pretty uniform depth. I'll move/monitor the probes around

Thanks for the feedback
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:13:53
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

quote:
Originally posted by MacSpud

I think I've got 1-2cm of aspen under the cave.
I'll move things around tonight and see what happens.
Can heat mats develop hot spots in themselves due to flaws etc? It's a new mat that I haven't used before.

I think they can and can't! You may notice slightly more heat will be produced from on top of the mat where the copper stips are underneath. Also are you familiar with threads where people don't put substrate in the hide, they cover the mat with a pice of vinyl flooring as that insulates well and you won't have the inaccuracies of different depths of aspen so the temp will be more constant.

Not saying to change your whole set-up (though I prefer vinyl in hide and if the snake wants 30*c outside the viv it will burrow through the aspen anyway), but do make sure all probes are in contact with the top of the mat not on the substrate as Gaz suggested.

Sorry Gaz VERY bad English as normal. I meant the bit in bold i.e. to put them on the heat mat as you suggested. Sorry mate! I'll edit it!
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:10:33
When did i suggest to put the probes on top of the substrate bengy?
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:01:15
quote:
Originally posted by MacSpud

Can heat mats develop hot spots in themselves due to flaws etc? It's a new mat that I haven't used before.

I think they can and can't! You may notice slightly more heat will be produced from on top of the mat where the copper stips are underneath. Also are you familiar with threads where people don't put substrate in the hide, they cover the mat with a pice of vinyl flooring as that insulates well and you won't have the inaccuracies of different depths of aspen so the temp will be more constant.

Not saying to change your whole set-up (though I prefer vinyl in hide and if the snake wants 30*c outside the viv it will burrow through the aspen anyway), but do make sure all probes are in contact with the top of the mat not on the substrate as Gaz suggested. As Gaz suggested also; put the probes directly on top of the mat & not on the top of the substrate. The temperature difference can be anything up to 8*c.

So if your aspen is deeper outside the hide then this can be accountable for your difference.
MacSpud Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:47:55
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:18:34
Ah rite okay mate,

Got you.

I wasnt aware that you had got 2 thermomters, i may of read you wrong.

In this case i would make sure that the HOTTEST point is 30-31c. 34c is too hot.

Not sure why the cave is getting so hot. How much substrate have you got over the heat mat?

Gaz
elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:17:33
Aspen is really good at insulating. I have both probes attached to eachother (with rubber bands now) and I found if i had them at substrate level the mat was always reading 34C. I now have both probes touching the mat so I can regulate the actual mat temprature so if snakey does want it warmer and burrows to the mat he wont get burned.
MacSpud Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:12:40
Sorry if I wasn't being clear but I've got one thermometer probe next to my stat probe which is reading 27C, these are both located above the mat though not exactly where the cave is.
I've got another thermometer probe inside the cave on top of the mat and that's reading 34C
I'm assuming the heat mat is warming the aspen which is then re-radiating the heat which is trapped in the cave.

I'll try and move the stat/thermo probe nearer the cave.
elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:10:23
got there before me gaz darn lol
Gaz_1989 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 14:09:24
As far as i know the hide shouldnt be hotter than the mat anywhere else, as the mats only heat what is in contact with them, not the 'air' inside the cave or anywhere else.

Have you tried putting your thermometer probe and stat probes together to see what readings you get?

This will prove is the stat probe is in-accurate.

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000