The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 "Slippy" First feed and poo! lol

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 08:06:04
Hello all, im ere and already the advise i have read on here has helped so much, thank you. Anyway, i bought my 4 year old girl a pet snake as it was her birthday and she kept saying that she wants a snake, i got her into watching steve irwin "Legend", she called it "Slippy", so i thought id get her one, its an Amel corn, lovely little thing, and she doesnt mind holding it. It fed and had a poo for the first time since we go it, and all is good,, im sure i will talk to many of you in the near future.

Mark
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 19:32:07
Thanks to all of you for your help, Pics will be on the way very soon. Like i say i was never told about the first week rule, but Slippy seem to be fine, and ive been keeping a close eye on him/her. Have started a snake diary, which as many of have said is a good idea. I am in the process of building a viv for when it has grown, but ive got a while. Anyway thanks again to you all and hope to talk again soon.

Mark.
Kellog Posted - 04/02/2010 : 12:43:34
Welcome to the forum Mark, Slippy and your daughter! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

The forum provides great information. As 'Mom' already suggested, the best place to look is the care sheet, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

As already mentioned you should not handle or feed Slippy for a week. This is The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow it to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means Slippy can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You obviously were not told this and unfortunately you are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. I know you have already handled and fed Slippy, but it may be worthwhile doing that week starting from now.

Unfortunately with many pet shops you cannot trust what they are telling you . Double check anything you have been told with us on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Elament and 'Mom' have already guided you to the search button, which is invaluable. Type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer, if not then dont hesitate to ask!

When you got Slippy I hope you got as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

You have a very lucky daughter, getting her own snake aged 4...but a warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started your daughter down that corn path so be warned....and I am sure you will soon follow!!

xxx
DannyBrown91 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 11:13:32
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by neo77

....i bought my 4 year old girl a pet snake as it was her birthday and she kept saying that she wants a snake............

If she's got one, it's only fair that you have one as well.

And welcome to the forum.

I keep trying that one with my hubby but he not budging!!!

Me, my brother and my sister all have snakes, and my mum is contemplating getting a snow corn lol.

As for not handling for a week, i would say it is best but some snakes need it more than others. Some snakes such as my sisters amel stripe are just really relaxed, nothiong fases him.
But my casper deffinitely needed her chilling out period, she was really weary and nippy when i got her
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 11:08:23
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

....i bought my 4 year old girl a pet snake as it was her birthday and she kept saying that she wants a snake............

I keep trying that one with my hubby but he not budging!!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/02/2010 : 10:27:51
quote:

n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 10:21:10
When we bought Steve he was about 8 weeks old and the shop sexed him there and then for us, i think most reptile shops should be able to sex snakes if not a good reptile vet can do it too.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 10:13:49
Thanks both of you, and no i wasnt told about the "not handling for a week" so straight away we got Slippy out, seems fine thought, fed ok and done a nice big poo so seems ok. does anyone know how old the snake has to be before you can find out the sex?

Mark
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 10:03:59
Hi Mark and welcome to the forum,

Good choice of snake but then i would say that, lol
Glad you've had a good read on the site, it has been a wealth of advice for me over the last month as i was a newbie snake keeper too.
Was you told not to handle the snake for the first week? I wasn't told that rule and we held Steve the 2nd day we had him, it hasn't done him any harm but some snakes need to settle in and get used to their environment before they get used to you.

Love the snake name too.

Like Steve said you can search for a lot of answers to your questions on the search function and also the care sheet is a wealth of information too, which you can find by clicking this link:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Would love to see pictures of slippy too.

elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 09:31:14
Congrats Mark on your new arrival. If theres anything you want to ask try using the search function (top right) and if you cant find the answer there feel free to ask. This forum is full of really nice people who are full of really usefull snake information. Welcome aboard.

Cheers

Steve

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000