The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How deep does it have to be ???

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Paul Hume Posted - 03/02/2010 : 21:13:41
Hi all,

I know a lot of you have made your own vivs and I know the snake should be a length and a width put together.

My question is what is the shortest depth you guys would recomend? so rather than a 4 x 2 could you have a 5 x 1 ?

Thanks in advace for your answers
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 06/02/2010 : 11:33:43
Thats a good idea SB. I must admit I got a 15" but I didnt know better thats what I was "given" at the shop for Colin. Its not a big issue for me as its not his permanent home. I have an alcove in this new house which I intend to build a two tier stack into and that is about 48"x18" though I may have em "sticking out a bit" to give a bit more floorspace for my two when they are fully grown.

Edit to add..

And thanks for that bit of info eeji I always wondered. (you learn something new every day on here)
SexyBear77 Posted - 05/02/2010 : 18:28:46
My fave viv is 18.5 inches deep, and I have really noticed the extra space.

I have just invested in a fab new wardrobe to convert into a stack, where each viv will be 24 inches deep- tons of floorspace.
eeji Posted - 05/02/2010 : 18:19:24
corns are what is known as 'crepuscular' which means active most during dawn and dusk, so they're neither diurnal or nocturnal :)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 05/02/2010 : 14:25:44
i Would say 15"
n/a Posted - 05/02/2010 : 10:32:53
I've read both that they are diurnal and that they are nocturnal. So I don't know who to believe on that one. I know I've seen her sticking her head out and experiencing life during the day. I also have a tendency to believe that since rodents, their food items, are active at night is the reason people say snakes are nocturnal but when they don't actually have to hunt for their food...I think that is a gray belief without a dogmatic stance to be taken. Corns in the classrooms, pet stores and in snake shows are active when life brings out their curiosity from what I've seen not what I've read. Maybe their preference would be to come out when they are not seen and night time is more conducive for that option. As far as my sig photo, yes, it is time for a new pic. That was taken last fall. Obviously she has grown since I started using the feeding chart I obtained from you guys.
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

What they told you a 4x2 or 5x1, I didn't quite understand that bit? Your snake in your sig photo looks a bit small for a viv so big? As you said though you seem to have packed it out.

Regards to the inactivity in the viv, don't forget that corn snakes are nocturnal so they will be a lot more active when you're sleeping.

n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:53:51
What they told you a 4x2 or 5x1, I didn't quite understand that bit? Your snake in your sig photo looks a bit small for a viv so big? As you said though you seem to have packed it out.

Regards to the inactivity in the viv, don't forget that corn snakes are nocturnal so they will be a lot more active when you're sleeping.

n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:19:47
That's what they told me at the pet store, but they didn't have one that was closer to square. I couldn't get the width without getting the length. I'm not talented enough nor do I have the place to build a viv so I ended up with the width I wanted but with unneccesary extra length also. That means I put extra furnishings in there. She has not shown any interest in climbing anything so I'm not putting another climbing thing in the viv until she starts showing more interest in life inside the viv. She doesn't seem to come to life until I take her out then her tongue starts flicking and she starts investigating, not trying to get away...just checking things out. I wish she would move around in her viv,but she doesn't. She just sits there and moves from one hide to the other when I'm not watching. It seems if too much space would be the problem, then she'd be worse outside than inside, but that's not the case. I guess this is not the place to put all this information,but I've done it anyway...I give you permission to shoot me later.
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

a 4x2 will give more floor space over a 5x1

n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 14:11:23
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hume

I was talking adult size, mine are far from that at the moment but we werer thinking of re-doing the living room and were thinking of building the vivs into that so I wouldnt want to change the vivs once they were in so they would need to house an adult snake.

I think 18" is the way forward.

I agree. That sounds cool. Although I just moved house, its rented. I can't wait to own a house then my first project will be a fitted viv stack!

By the way ask Lee2308 for photos of his viv stack (or link to his photobucket photos) as it may give you some insparation, they look great! (sorry Lee for presuming you'll hunt out the link but it really is very nice)
Paul Hume Posted - 04/02/2010 : 08:38:06
I was talking adult size, mine are far from that at the moment but we werer thinking of re-doing the living room and were thinking of building the vivs into that so I wouldnt want to change the vivs once they were in so they would need to house an adult snake.

I think 18" is the way forward.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 00:48:38
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

Yes Paul. Though you're right in saying viv length + side should = snake length, don't forget your maths regarding area i.e. 2 x 4= 8 foot squared and 5X1 is obviously 5 foot squared.

Depending on snake size (as we're talking bigger viv's I assume you're on about adult size) I would use upwards of 15 inches deep, preferably as Matty said an 18
eeji Posted - 04/02/2010 : 00:01:57
DannyBrown91 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 21:21:21
I would say 15 is probably the minimum i would go, but if im honest its always nice to have it a bit deeper. If i had to pick between a 5 x 1 and a 4 x 2 i would highly likely go with the 4 x 2.
matty18714 Posted - 03/02/2010 : 21:16:02
I wouldn't use anything thinner than 18 inches.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000