The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 After feeding?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fal Posted - 02/02/2010 : 20:42:13
Hi again folks,

Might be stupid, but I know you shouldn't really handle for 48hrs after feeding, so it doesn't cause regurgitation (sp?), also that it is good to feed outside the viv, to stop the chance of impaction, so... bearing that in mind, (sorry about how silly this is), how do you get your snake back in the viv after feeding outside the viv???

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fal Posted - 05/02/2010 : 13:22:29
Thanks folks, i'll feed Bella outside the faun - yup, we got one yesterday wooohoooo... as mentioned on another thread, i'll be posting pics in the appropriate place this evening hopefully :)
Kellog Posted - 05/02/2010 : 03:11:31
quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

Alice completely refuses to take prey outside her viv.
I put her mouse in a large clear RUB in her viv and remove it when she's eaten and gone off to sleep somewhere.

Do you put her in the RUB or the RUB on its side with the mouse in it? If you just put the mouse in it then there is the risk of her pulling it out of the RUB and onto the substrate. Have you tried feeding her in the RUB, but covering it up so she doesnt feel exposed? Just a suggestion.

xxx
Budaholic Posted - 04/02/2010 : 22:42:18
Alice completely refuses to take prey outside her viv.
I put her mouse in a large clear RUB in her viv and remove it when she's eaten and gone off to sleep somewhere.
gingerpony Posted - 04/02/2010 : 21:37:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Fal

I've seen people cover the viv's substrate in kitchen roll and feed on top of that, in the viv? Any thoughts on doing this??

You can do that Jonathan, especially while they are young...but it does become harder when they get bigger and they start striking, coiling and constricting. I think it is still best to try and feed them outside the viv if possible.

all it takes is for the snake to drag the mouse off the kitchen roll or paper that's been put down for them............and potentially down goes a lump of substrate. how great the risk is depends on what substrate you're using, anything that's big chunks like orchid bark or large beech chippings really isn't worth the risk for me
Kellog Posted - 04/02/2010 : 04:03:31
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

I've seen people cover the viv's substrate in kitchen roll and feed on top of that, in the viv? Any thoughts on doing this??

You can do that Jonathan, especially while they are young...but it does become harder when they get bigger and they start striking, coiling and constricting. I think it is still best to try and feed them outside the viv if possible.

I feed both my adults outside their vivs, just wait until their 'dinner' is about halfway down, then pick them up gently - supporting them either side of the bump (one third down from head, one third up from tail) - and let them slide supported into their viv.

xxx
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:28:50
I alwasy gently scoop Snickers up and put her into the viv as close to a hide as possible so she can hide quickly.[quote]Originally posted by Fal

Hi again folks,

Fernando Pierre Posted - 03/02/2010 : 15:15:59
you take your RUB and put it in the viv the snake normally crawl out! that how i get diablo out.
Fal Posted - 03/02/2010 : 12:23:20
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 12:18:28
quote:
Originally posted by Fal

That's a good idea Mom.. while they're small anyway, or are you using bounty kitchen roll??!! hehe :)

Lol no just tesco's own
Fal Posted - 03/02/2010 : 12:14:39
That's a good idea Mom.. while they're small anyway, or are you using bounty kitchen roll??!! hehe :)
n/a Posted - 03/02/2010 : 07:56:37
JB, i have some kitchen towel in the bottom of my rub and once Steve has finished i just lift up the kitchen towel and place him back in his viv that way.
Kellog Posted - 03/02/2010 : 04:23:17
quote:
Originally posted by jbarnes92

ha yeah i guess so!
sorry for the silly question its just he said that and the snake didnt regurge and just basically fell asleep wrapped around his arm so i grew suspicious
after all its what the forums here for!

Josh, it wasnt a silly question and it was good to bring up because I am sure others sometimes wonder the same thing or are given 'expert' advice that needs to be checked out with REAL experts. You have shown exactly what this forum is here for...so well done !

xxx
jbarnes92 Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:13:41
ha yeah i guess so!
sorry for the silly question its just he said that and the snake didnt regurge and just basically fell asleep wrapped around his arm so i grew suspicious
after all its what the forums here for!
gingerpony Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:10:49
it's easy to spot a bull***ter when you know more than them

anyone can sound like they know what they're on about and 'talk the talk' if the other person isn't sure on the subject/facts
jbarnes92 Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:08:15
i have no idea, its how he came across to me that he knew quite a bit, and he's had alot of experience with not just snakes but lizards and other reptiles.
oh well, i aint that stupid anyway, asuka's meal is riding on the risk!
gingerpony Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:05:16
how can it be 'past the spine' when the spine runs the full length of the snake's body???

and i'd say he got lucky............

and isn't much of an expert!
jbarnes92 Posted - 02/02/2010 : 23:03:31
okay thats fair do's but someone my mate knows said as long as its past the spine, they cant regurge it, after my mates 1 - 2 foot corn fed on a fuzzy he had it out for a couple of hours and it didnt re-gurge, and this boy seems like a reptile expert! how true is this?
(i know its best for 48 hrs, just curious why?)
Fal Posted - 02/02/2010 : 22:48:28
Fair point!! lol thanks.
gingerpony Posted - 02/02/2010 : 22:21:08
picking your corn up after feeding and placing it straight back into it's viv isn't the same as playing with it for half an hour
HannahB Posted - 02/02/2010 : 21:08:50
dont feel silly - its a valid question worth asking
you dont ask you dont get!

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000