The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 diesel update-still assist feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KITTYCAT Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:07:05
Hi guys ive not been on for a while.Some of you may mind my one surviving hatchling diesel hatched 2nd sept 09 he is still going strong now being assisted with pinkies (tbh its more like force feeding he only takes the very last bit himself) Though we are managing fine with this at the moment he shows no intrest of eating on his own he has shed a couple of times and is very active.Any ideas on how to get him to take it himself im worried he just thinks this is how you get fed 8its been so long!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 09:47:39
Xena was force fed twice then seven feeds after that were assisted and now she eats all on her own. She will even tackle bulky or awkward positioned prey (even ate one tail first) whereas before everything had to be perfect before she would even attempt (her previous owner used to cut the legs off of pinkys to get em in easier) so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to all of you. I been there and know how it feels.
n/a Posted - 05/02/2010 : 08:55:47
quote:
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 08:21:27
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by bengy_s

Not much to add to the ideas above except make the head really hot. And have you tried braining the pinkie?

Not too hot Bengy or you may burn snakeys mouth

Well obviously!

[quote]KITTYCAT
Posted - 05/02/2010 : 07:43:52
I always heat it up and ive tried braining, chopping into smaller pieces which becomes very messy when you end up force feeding, im now just persivering n praying.

Well I hope something works or Diesel slowly comes around to eating himself. I can't give many more ideas as those usually work for me.
elament Posted - 05/02/2010 : 08:21:27
[quote]Originally posted by bengy_s

Not much to add to the ideas above except make the head really hot. And have you tried braining the pinkie?

Not too hot Bengy or you may burn snakeys mouth
KITTYCAT Posted - 05/02/2010 : 07:43:52
I always heat it up and ive tried braining, chopping into smaller pieces which becomes very messy when you end up force feeding, im now just persivering n praying.
eeji Posted - 04/02/2010 : 19:43:20
i leave the bone in for a bit of calcium if i'm feeding chick legs ;)
HannahB Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:53:59
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

Yeh Hannahb diesel has only shed twice and is 11 inches long.The lack of intrest in food is quite fustrating, i just hope he will eat on his own soon as i cant picture myself still force or assist feeding when he gets to the size of the parents. Good luck with aura

sounds just the same as aura..shes probably about the same size,i said exactly the same thing to luke the other night - i honestly dont like the idea of having to assist feed a 3ft long corn..no matter how pretty she is lol
fingers crossed for us both!!
matty18714 Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:37:34
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

quote:
be careful with sharp knives.[/size=4][/size=3][/red]

yours looks like it need sharpening!!!!!!!!!!!

Paper doesn't make a very good chopping board
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 16:09:03

Good luck and I hope something works.
n/a Posted - 04/02/2010 : 15:37:01
Snickers won't eat it either unless it is warm. She sniffs it and slithers away.
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Kitty, apologies if you have already tried this and it may sound like stating the obvious but have you tried to warm the pinky up? My Xena is very reluctant to take anything unless its warm.

elament Posted - 04/02/2010 : 09:21:55
Kitty, apologies if you have already tried this and it may sound like stating the obvious but have you tried to warm the pinky up? My Xena is very reluctant to take anything unless its warm. Xena didnt eat for the first seven or eight months of her life and was eventually force fed by the person who had her before me. She was force fed the week after that and gradually started to learn to eat on her own. She now gobbles down pinkies (two at a time) like they are going out of fashion but even now if you show her a room temp meal she is still very reluctant to take it. Warm it up and she will strike at it so it does make a difference.

Cheers

Steve
KITTYCAT Posted - 04/02/2010 : 09:10:32
Yeh Hannahb diesel has only shed twice and is 11 inches long.The lack of intrest in food is quite fustrating, i just hope he will eat on his own soon as i cant picture myself still force or assist feeding when he gets to the size of the parents. Good luck with aura
HannahB Posted - 01/02/2010 : 20:30:34
my aura is pretty much being force fed atm - she hatched in august and apart from her complete lack of interest in food shes really active and has shed well in the past..well the one time she has shed that is,
a33272 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 20:05:01
quote:
be careful with sharp knives.[/size=4][/size=3][/red]

yours looks like it need sharpening!!!!!!!!!!!
matty18714 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:36:16
I cant really answer that. I have had one that I needed to assist feed once, and then it took pinkies constantly after. I have another that will take chick meat rarely by itself from tongs, and I have to force feed every now and then. It hatched in August.
KITTYCAT Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:30:41
thanx matty im willing to give anything a go i just feel that at 16 weeks he should be making a bit of an effort.Whats the average lenghth of time that snakes get assist or force fed until i just worry that this is the way its going to be indefinently
matty18714 Posted - 01/02/2010 : 17:20:18
Hi, nice to hear from you again. I have had some success recently with using chick thighs. This is me preparing it:

(Very) Mild gore, be careful with sharp knives.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/theloony.bin/Preparing%20chick%20thigh.mpg

Cut the meat into smaller pieces and offer it on the smallest tongs you have. You may need to stick some feathers on it for him to recognise it (they will stick to the meat).

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000