The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Into the blue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lilpunk Posted - 27/01/2010 : 20:37:33
Dimika has just gone into blue, and she has a history of bad sheds and I really want to try and improve them for her, make it easier. I have been lightly misting her viv tonight (only once and not on the substrate) and I used her shed-aid as it said once a month about three days ago on her. The only thing I'm uncertain about is one, when should I put her damp hide in, now or when her eyes become unclouded again? And two, should I put a bigger round water-bowl in so she can soak more easily and when if so?

Thanks guys, hopefully this will improve it for her Her first shed came off in pieces, the second in only two halves so let's hope this will come off in one!
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 30/01/2010 : 09:29:36
Thanks again kellog very usefull.
Kellog Posted - 30/01/2010 : 04:31:18
Checkout this link Stephen, hopefully it will help with building the hide - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699&SearchTerms=damp,hide

Found this link about preparing the moss, but unfortunately pics seem to have been removed BE???? - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1766

As GP said, only put it in once her eyes have gone clear and then keep dampening it once it has dried out.

xxx
elament Posted - 29/01/2010 : 21:49:30
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I have never had to use a moss hide before as colins sheds are so easy. As i understand it you get a small tupperware tub fill it with sphagnum moss and dampen it. Is that right? if so how damp should it be? Also what end would you put it warm or cold end or in the middle? Sorry for the stupid question I just am expecting trouble with xena as her last shed was so bad

Edit also when misting a viv or an rub do you spray the walls and leave the substrate?

cheers

steve
elament Posted - 29/01/2010 : 21:34:15
and as if on cue xena goes pale lol
Lilpunk Posted - 29/01/2010 : 21:27:07
Thanks GP, I won't do much more then, and I'll stay clear of disturbing her which I wasn't doing anyway Thanks guys, and good luck with your Xena elament!
elament Posted - 29/01/2010 : 11:08:07
Good luck! Colin sheds have always gone ok but Xena has an appauling shed history so i am expecting problems so I have made note of all the tips on here thanks guys
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 22:02:48
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

personally i leave putting the damp hide in until their eyes have cleared up after being blue..

totally agree with Hannah, changing their 'home' while they're completely blind could lead to getting tagged by a worried, defensive snake, i'd personally wait till her eyes clear again. her vision still won't be great but it will be better
putting a damp hide in AFTER the eyes have cleared again also means you're not prolonging your snake's exposure to higher humidity for quite as long
just my reasons for doing it my way and there's more than one way to skin a cat/shed a snake
headlow Posted - 28/01/2010 : 20:59:01
I'm in the same boat myself. Chandler went into shed yesterday, and his last shed was awful. I've put a moss hide in with him, and I'll lightly mist the tank as well. It does the trick with my King and Milk, so I'm hoping all will be well this time.
Lilpunk Posted - 28/01/2010 : 20:17:23
Thanks Hannah, I've put it in this morning, but it'll come out soon enough, plus it also dries reasonably quickly so I need to spray again, I don't think she has unnecssary exposure
HannahB Posted - 28/01/2010 : 20:11:05
personally i leave putting the damp hide in until their eyes have cleared up after being blue..
I remoisten them everyday but by leaving it til later i like to think im reducing the exposure to the raised humidity and therefore reducing the chances of illness...
but having said that in the past i have put the damp hide in from when they first went blue and didnt suffer any issues then
hope she sheds ok for you this time round
Lilpunk Posted - 28/01/2010 : 19:23:50
It is! ... I was just wondering whether or not to put a bigger one in Fernando, now I know it isn't needed. Corns don't always use their bowls to bathe in, although some do more than others and bathing for a long time can indicate temperature problems and can develop the blisters mentioned previously.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 28/01/2010 : 14:40:39
The water bowl should be just big enough for her to bath in!
Lilpunk Posted - 28/01/2010 : 06:17:19
Thanks Kellog, Hiper and all you others! I will go and put the hide etc. in now
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:18:54
Definitely put in the moss hide now so Dimi has the chance to make use of it. I would suggest that you mist in the morning rather than at night...not sure why, but it is what I always do . Dont spray on her as she wont like it, just around viv lightly.

Put one drinking bowl in the warm end of the viv to raise the humidity, but make sure you also put another one in her cool end so she doesnt have to drink warm water! If she hasnt soaked in a bowl before I doubt she will start now...I know Kellog didnt show any interest when I put a larger bowl for him, but it may be worth a try.

Hope this shed is better than the last!!

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:03:46
It will be fine to put the moss hide in now, Although this didn't work for Whisky my hatchling he is a problem shedder and now hes a perfect shedder , All i do is when i see hes in blue i just get the spray bottle out and spray around his RUB and on him every day then when he comes out of blue then he will shed that day or the next day so i mist a few more times and then wehay perfect shedd
Lilpunk Posted - 27/01/2010 : 21:24:45
So she won't suffer from it if I put it in now? I guess I'm just being obsessive, but you can never be too careful; I've heard a lot about blisters from wet and humid conditions, I just didn't know how long it took for them to appear// that is if she weren't in shed xD
SexyBear77 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 21:15:52
Just put it in and leave it for a few days.
Lilpunk Posted - 27/01/2010 : 21:04:38
Hmm, I usually put her in a moss box a couple of times a day if she's having a bad shed, but this time I want to give her the constant option.
reptiledanny Posted - 27/01/2010 : 21:01:49
i have never used a moss hide cuz iv never needed to but in my opinion i would put it in now.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000