The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 typical **** up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
punumbear Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:13:35
right need some suggestions here... my big corn has stopped eating for good few weeks now.. i have a feeling its because viv is too big(4ft)... so have decided to either shrink viv by putting partition in... which maybe a bit hard to do as cant use nails cant move viv as its on bottom of stack.. so would it be worth me moving him into 3ft rub and packing tht out to get him feeling bit more secure... hes fine in himself bright eyed tongue flicking.. scales bright but he has lost weight and burrows all the time.. have tried everything to get him to eat but no joy..So want to eliminate everything before resorting to the vet.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
punumbear Posted - 16/02/2010 : 22:06:39
hey kellogg.... well hes pooing for england.. as n when he has something in his stomach.. he ate two weeks ago just a lil hammy.. general body functions fine... i did get some bsp drops for water.. and have been putting it in all their waters.. the anery loves it...but he seems cool atm.. its feed day this friday for all of em.. so hopefully he will be ok.. but i have stopped stressing as he seems ok atm. but yes will defo get a spring weigh.. cheers for all the USEFUL advice guys..Just ouyt of curiosity... with males when they urinate or deficate do their hemipenis come out also..!!!!!?????
Kellog Posted - 29/01/2010 : 05:08:31
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

Grow up hiper..!!! kellogg.. have never weighed him but from how he was to how he is now hes defo lost weight.. his last feed was fri 4th of dec then went into shed on the 15th of dec. Then fed on 8th of jan one small hammy.And hasnt eaten since.he is usually fed every two weeks with the others. Doesnt show interest just runs away..his activity has slowed a bit alot more burrowing.. so im stumped as to wether its a season or breeding thing.Did read tht thread last night but have tried all that bar the last three

Definitely agree with the comment I have put in bold! Well said!

I think it is very important that you start to weigh him so you can monitor if there is really a weight loss.

This might sound strange but....if you cut him in half what would his cross section look like? If it is round he is overweight, if is is an arch he is just right and if it is a triangle then he is underweight (thanks to BE - I think ).

I am not sure how you can easily tell from just looking at him that he has lost since his last proper feed (ignoring the hammy) on 4th Dec. If it is definitely noticeable then I would have thought a trip to the vet might be needed.

Is he drinking and pooing ok?

If he is only fed every 2 weeks then he has actually only missed 1 feed surely? When you fed him the hamster did you offer him his normal meal first? (what is it that he is fed on?) It could be that he is now turning up his nose at mice cos he wants hamster instead....could you try scenting his next feed with a hamster?

It may be worth getting hold of some reptoboost and adding it to his water, just to help him along at the moment.

Just some suggestions, but the most important thing at the moment is to get an idea of his weight.

xxx
punumbear Posted - 28/01/2010 : 11:48:43
Grow up hiper..!!! kellogg.. have never weighed him but from how he was to how he is now hes defo lost weight.. his last feed was fri 4th of dec then went into shed on the 15th of dec. Then fed on 8th of jan one small hammy.And hasnt eaten since.he is usually fed every two weeks with the others. Doesnt show interest just runs away..his activity has slowed a bit alot more burrowing.. so im stumped as to wether its a season or breeding thing.Did read tht thread last night but have tried all that bar the last three
Kellog Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:31:50
Sounds like just the age Kellog was when he went 'horny' and decided to stop eating for 13 weeks, although he only lost a little weight in that time.

What was his weight and what is it now?

Agree with others that size of viv shouldnt be a problem, especially as you have now shrunken it. Temps sound ok too.

What was he feeding on and how often?
When did he last eat (how many feeds has he missed)?
Does he show any interest at all or just ignore the offered food?

He sounds healthy enough, bright eyed and tongue flicking. I know Kellog was very active, trying to escape viv a lot, has yours behaviour changed at all?

If you dont think it is this have you tried any of these suggestions yet - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

Apologies for Hiper's comment, it was unnecessary .

xxx
hiper2009 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 23:14:30
Maybe your letting off a mating smell that your snakey can smell and whats a part of the action lol
punumbear Posted - 27/01/2010 : 20:06:20
right have shrunk viv size wedged wood in earlier(cheers kehhlyr).. .. eeji.. he has two hides and now its smaller the vines n plants he does have take up more space.. as was a tad open when at 4ft.HB... his temps are 30 degrees c warm end n roughly 22-24 the cold end... FP out of viv feeding ent gonna happen have tried it many times.He is currently burrowed so will leave him for rest of the week to chill n see how he goes
Twi Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:18:21
Gingers gone off his feed cause of the cold weather.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:17:23
maybe you should try and feed it in a whole other box.
HannahB Posted - 27/01/2010 : 14:54:18
could just be that time of year - most adult snakes (usually males but some females do aswell) tend to go off their food at this time - they just cant stop thinking about the other sex..

what are the temps? like eeji said i would be surprised if it was the size of his viv thats putting him off his food..
eeji Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:57:49
4' shouldn't be too big to spook a corn that size, how many hides and how much other cover is there?
punumbear Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:46:33
DB91 no idea if he actully is male.. all three corns are gettin probed this yr.. hes roughly 3.5-4 ft... about 4-5 yrs old i believe. Bought him from a chap off this forum last yr.But not worrying too much as hes ok in himself just reckon it maybe too much viv space.
Cool cheers kehhlyr will give it a go..
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:36:45
If you need to partition, but can't use nails because of the location, then cut a bit of wood that's fractionally bigger than the gap, and jam it in.
I've done that on one of my vivs because it was glass. :D
DannyBrown91 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:21:52
More info would be ideal, you say big corn but how old is it? and is it a male? Male corns very often stop eating in the winter apparently.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 27/01/2010 : 13:19:15
If you think its because his viv is too big then i would deffo say give the RUB option a try.

Can you give some more info?

Size of Snake and Age?
Normal Feeding Schedule?
Temps?

Im sure someone will be able to help you out

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000