The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Stella due to shed soon...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 08:45:47
As some of you may know, Stella is losing the tip of her tail.

She is due a shed this week, and is having a feed tonight.

I THINK her skin has started going dull these last couple of days, so i predict that she will feed tonight then go blue in the next couple of days.

I have got a load of Sphagnum moss in the freezer, she is on kitchen roll and ive been keeping her faun super clean, and ive got a bottle of tamodine at hand.

What can i expect when she sheds?

She sheds in the night normally and i find her shed skin the next morning. Will the end of her tail just be missing? And is it likely to bleed alot?

Just wondering what to expect.

Thanks

Gaz
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 12:46:27
Sounds like it may have been sore at one point but as you say it seemed dead. I'm not vet though but the above makes some good sense.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 12:21:55
I havent got a link mate.

Basically, when i got her she had some retained shed on her tail.

I didnt see it and didnt know it was there (didnt handle for 7 days when got her, then she shed).

When i handled her after shed there was another layer of retained shed, i removed this and thought that was it (not knowing there was more than one layer of retained shed).

The same happened last month, i removed the retained shed manually, but this time, about 5 layers of skin came off and the tip underneath was dead.

I am doing my best to ensure she makes a full recovery.

Gaz
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 12:12:24
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

I will let you know how she gets on, thanks alot.

Please do. Didn't see the original post... You got the link, or what happened?
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 11:52:16
Thanks again sexy bear.

I hope it comes off and heals up soon, patience i know!

I dont mind if it comes off in my fingers at all, im not squeemish.

I have been keeping her faun EXTREMELY clean, i remove her dirt as soon as she does it (within the hour), even if its in the night and im going to the toilet and i smell something coming from the faun, i clean her out there and then, removing all kitchen towel and giving a quick wipe round with reptile disinfectant.

I will let you know how she gets on, thanks alot.

Gaz

SexyBear77 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 10:32:35
I would just remove it as normal- you may find the tail tip comes off in your fingers, but if that doesn't bother you then its fine.

Having seen the pics I should think it will come off at some point, might be tomorrow, might be in months!

As long as she is on the kitchen towel and you keep the viv nice and clean then you shouldn't have an issue with infection.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 10:27:58
If she does get more retained shed, should i remove it as normal? If so then what will happen after that?

Will it deffinitely drop off at some point?

Also what do you think the chances are of her having problems? ie Swollen/Weeping/Bleeding/Infected etc?

Thanks

Gaz
SexyBear77 Posted - 26/01/2010 : 10:23:55
Hey, Well done for having everything to hand. This is my opinion-

1. The end of her tail might not come off at all.
2. She might get more reatained shed on her tail tip.
3. If it is gone I shouldn't think it will bleed hardly at all due to the lack of blood flow to the tail which has caused the problems in the first place
4. A little dab with the tamodine should be sufficient when. if it is gone and then monitor it closely.
5. If the tail becomes swollen, inflamed, weepy or bleeds profusely for a long period of time I would suggest seeking further veterinary advice..

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000