The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Shall I leave him alone

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kdlang Posted - 26/01/2010 : 01:04:33
I'm a bit unsure about what to do so I thought I'd ask the fountain of knowledge for advise.

The situation is this: I got Alice just after Christmas and according to his record he last shed on the 18th Dec and sheds about every 10 weeks. So going by that he shouldn't be due to shed for another month. However he has been really quiet the last couple of days. I havent seen him out and about the way i usually do in an evening. I took him out from under his hide tonight and he seemed fine - not stressed or anything. However, I can't be certain, but I think his eyes aren't as bright as normal and his skin seems dull. I know red eyed snakes can be hard to detect if they have gone into blue so I don't know if he has.
Soooo, do you think he could have gone into blue early? He has put on at least 6g in the month we have had him so might be outgrowing his skin (?maybe?). And should I continue to get him out or leave him in peace just in case he is about to shed and wants to be left alone?

Thanks guys
17   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 01/02/2010 : 04:58:42
That is fantastic news Karen...so glad Alice shed so well. He is obviously growing really well and you are doing a good job looking after him!

Sorry you missed seeing it, but you have many years ahead to witness many many sheds !

xxx
n/a Posted - 31/01/2010 : 20:41:21
Cool. Snakes do make us worry so! ;->
elament Posted - 31/01/2010 : 17:43:45
Congrats. Bet he looks good now

kdlang Posted - 31/01/2010 : 10:13:15
WooHoo!!! Alice has shed. Unfortunately he did it some time overnight so I didnt get to see but what the heck. It was lovely to see him out and about again. The shed has come off perfectly, eye caps present and it seems the tail is there and not even a little tear. I measured the shed and its 30" long so that will make Alice about 27" long. Is that right? I fed him his 2 fuzzies and am now looking forward to putting him in his new viv once his rest period is up. Better get building it so it can air out properly.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 27/01/2010 : 16:19:47
he might be stating to go into the bluing stage!
zandefloss Posted - 26/01/2010 : 22:18:55
I had the same problem the first time my amel shed and it seems very similar to a post I made, it sounds like a shed to me! It gets a lot easier after the 2nd or 3rd shed because you learn their shedding behaviour and colour changes better.

Hope she sheds well!

zan x
Kellog Posted - 26/01/2010 : 21:17:18
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

if you do move the water bowl over to the warm side make sure you have another source of water in the cool end for him to drink from

Thanks for picking me up on that one Hannah....should have thought of it !!

xxx
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 20:49:26
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Will do bengy thanks. Since I got him I have increased his feeds from 1 fuzzy to 2 fuzzies every 7 days. Maybe this is why he may be shedding early. Or maybe he is just having one of those weeks where he just wants to be left alone. I can certainly empathise with that lol.

Will keep you updated

Yeah that'll be it. And as Hannah said the resulting effect is that he'll put on weight sooner which is a good thing. As long as he manages his meals fine and you go up a size when the time is right then you'll quickly learn his growth and shed pattern.

Yeah I hate it when you drink from the tap and find out someone before was running it warm! UURRGGHH! (mixer tap)
kdlang Posted - 26/01/2010 : 16:31:07
Thanks Hannah I didnt think of that but I should have done since I dont like drinking warm water either lol
kdlang Posted - 26/01/2010 : 16:29:43
Will do bengy thanks. Since I got him I have increased his feeds from 1 fuzzy to 2 fuzzies every 7 days. Maybe this is why he may be shedding early. Or maybe he is just having one of those weeks where he just wants to be left alone. I can certainly empathise with that lol.

Will keep you updated
HannahB Posted - 26/01/2010 : 16:27:17
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Kellog sheds every 6 weeks and he is an adult, whereas the little ones should shed more often as they are growing so much faster.

my mont only just sheds every 6weeks... every 4 - 6 weeks is about right for a hatchling/young snake

OP, have you increased his feeding pattern at all since you got him? It sounds like his recent weight gain is more than what he normally gained each month so he is needing to shed more - its nothing to worry about though
if you do move the water bowl over to the warm side make sure you have another source of water in the cool end for him to drink from
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 16:10:12
Ok it makes more sense now. I couldn't find thread or other info about him so assumed hatchling.

So if the records are right as he has been more closely monitored on a one to one basis as opposed to someone running a shop. It also suggests your friend would have fed him more often than a shop would- however as you mentioned:

quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I rehomed him from a friend of my sisters who couldn't care for him anymore

It may still occur that he wasn't fed quite the correct amount you have been feeding him.

10 weeks however is about right for his age I would say. That doesn't mean now and again they won't shed sooner... still been 6 weeks since last shed.

Maybe as you have been providing a better environment (correct temps, humidity & feeding schedule) he is generally healthier.

Let us know if he sheds.
kdlang Posted - 26/01/2010 : 15:52:16
Alice is about 18 months old. I rehomed him from a friend of my sisters who couldn't care for him anymore so the information I got was from his previous owner not a breeder/shop. I have got a tub with loads of his previous sheds and they seems to be complete apart from an odd tear so hopefully he doesn't have any problems with it. I will move his water bowl into the warm end as advised and I think I will leave him alone unless he wants to come out to play.
So now to just wait and see. I can't wait lol
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 11:55:30
Yeah think Kellog's got this one sorted.

I assume Alice is a hatchling, in which case 10 weeks is definately not going to be what will happen. The most likely is what Kellog said i.e. they are fed enough to keep healthy in shops but when purchased are fed so they can grow as nature intended.

It is also highly likely that the shedding record is not accurate. The amount of snakes most breeders/shops have means its probable he's shed more often and just hasn't been written on his record. This is also down to different staff/shop assistants in and out of shifts. Some are better at cleaning out the shed and remembering to record it than others!
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 11:21:58
Roxy's eyes started going cloudy yesterday,
so we shall see what happens.

Exciting times for all of us
n/a Posted - 26/01/2010 : 11:17:41
Hi Karen,

Steve has red eyes and his went quite dull and then cloudy, he also went into hiding and didn't seem to want to come out, his skin went dull as well.
I first noticed his eyes on the Thursday, by the following Tuesday night he had shed, hope this helps.
Kellog Posted - 26/01/2010 : 03:58:29
I am no expert Karen, but it does sound as though Alice could be heading into a shed. It wouldnt be surprising if he was shedding early...often they are fed on a maintenance diet when in shops/with breeders so only start to grow properly once you have bought them and they are being fed a 'normal' diet, one they need to grow properly. With his age I would certainly expect him to shed more often....Kellog sheds every 6 weeks and he is an adult, whereas the little ones should shed more often as they are growing so much faster.

I would definitely leave him alone for a few days and see what happens. I have gathered on here how hard it is to tell with red-eyes when they are going into a shed, but the fact that his eyes arent so bright and his skin seems slightly dull would indicate that your instincts are right. Their eyes do clear up after a few days of being 'blue', but it will then take about 3 to 4 days after that before he sheds. You need to look out for him rubbing his head along his hide or the side of the viv, any branches etc. I do hope you get to see it.

I dont usually handle or feed my snakes once they have gone 'blue' until they shed, although I know a lot of other forum members do...I think it just depends on the snake as to what they can cope with during this period. One thing you can do is move his water bowl to the warm side, just to increase the humidity slightly. As this is his first shed with you it is hard to know what sort of shedder he will be, but once he has shed this time you will then know if he needs more help for the next shed....and if he does not shed cleanly this time you know what to do - with the help of us!

Let us know what is happening!

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000