The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Feeding, ordering, heatmat questions - all at once

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kellog Posted - 25/01/2010 : 05:02:18
Firstly, at what point do you move a corn from a jumbo mouse every 10 days to the maintenance diet of once a fortnight? Kellog hasnt been weighed for the last few feeds (bad owner!!!) but his last weight was 753g and he is 4'6" long. Think I am really only becoming concerned since getting Silvesta and certain comments from a certain OH about how big and fat Kellog is !!!

Secondly, as Kellog is now on jumbo's for life I am hoping to order in bulk...have looked at TSM Reptiles and the biggest they supply are the ex-breeders which they dont give a weight for. Kellog's jumbos at the moment are approx 40g. Are these the ones I would need to order and is this the best place to get them from? Unfortunately OH also looked at site and saw weight and price of weaner rats so now have the job of convincing him to stick with mice !

Thirdly, where is the best place to order a dual digital thermometer and which one would people recommend?

Fourthly (and finally!) what size heatmat would I need for a 75cm (length) by 38cm (depth) viv? (sorry, am lousy with dimensions and only had ruler handy! Again, where to buy and which one best? Info on which stat to go with it?

I realise I should have searched out all this info but to be honest my brain fog is so bad at the moment it just seemed easier asking it in one post - sorry

xxx
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
leeoc1982 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 22:39:32
with regard to buying in bulk, sumone told me that a 3 month supply is around the limit, due to the freezing process only slowing down the decomposition ect.

sounds like good info to me, i wouldnt cook a chicken that had been frozen for that long.

may be worth looking into if youre buying that much.
Tizzy Posted - 25/01/2010 : 19:09:58
Firstly, at what point do you move a corn from a jumbo mouse every 10 days to the maintenance diet of once a fortnight?

Should be fine to do so now, if you notice kellog losing weight then up it, if he's still gaining then reduce the prey size, but i really doubt that will happen.

Secondly, as Kellog is now on jumbo's for life I am hoping to order in bulk...have looked at TSM Reptiles and the biggest they supply are the ex-breeders which they dont give a weight for. Kellog's jumbos at the moment are approx 40g. Are these the ones I would need to order and is this the best place to get them from? Unfortunately OH also looked at site and saw weight and price of weaner rats so now have the job of convincing him to stick with mice !

I've used TSM, great service and the ex-breaders will be about the right size for you.

Thirdly, where is the best place to order a dual digital thermometer and which one would people recommend?
Er sorry can't help here. i stick with the single ones from fortexx systems on e-bay. The way i see it is that if your duel one breaks your stuffed at least with sepaerates you can move them about till a replacement arrives.

Fourthly (and finally!) what size heatmat would I need for a 75cm (length) by 38cm (depth) viv? (sorry, am lousy with dimensions and only had ruler handy! Again, where to buy and which one best? Info on which stat to go with it?
I'd use an 11x11 inch, but a 9X11 should also do the job.
eeji Posted - 25/01/2010 : 18:45:27
after my oldest corn got too fat i don't bother with jumbo mice and give my adults one medium every week, and then every so often miss a week :)
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:30:49
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I think you can use PP stats with mats, but not sure so will wait for someone elses opinion!

You can.

Thanks
matty18714 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:25:08
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I think you can use PP stats with mats, but not sure so will wait for someone elses opinion!

You can.
matty18714 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:23:53
Hes not going to grow much more, I would have him on one or two jumbo mice (yes, they are the ones you're after) a fortnight now.

I havent used TSM myself, but they sound quite good.

BE has some good dual thermometers, PM him on the reptilian.

You want the heat mat to cover a 3rd, to 1/2 of the floor space.
SexyBear77 Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:20:44
Tbh jumbo mice are quite big, Casper gets fed once a fortnight which keeps him in with the others schedules that get fed once a week. If you think Kellog is getting fat then put him to 14 days, but you know him best. If his skin is showing through the scales when he is lying straight, not bent, then he is overweight. If he seems to be getting that way then obviously his diet will need re-thinking and a move to every 14 days will be fine.

I don't buy in bulk, or online, so I'm sure someone else will help you as to how good TSM are. It is my understanding though that jumbos and ex-breeders are pretty much the same thing, so that is probably what you are after.

Naughty OH, I'm sure you have patiently explained why mice are better for corns and rats are better for pythons!

Dual therm? Not sure, I only have single ones, one at each end of the viv, sorry! I got mine off e-bay, sure I could find the link if you want, they are very good, very cheap and arrive very quickly!

Heatmat- 9x11 inches? or 11x11. I have an 11x11 in a 36 inch viv, your viv works out at near enough 30 inches. Stats- I have 3 habistat matstats and 1 microclimate 100 stat. They are both on/off stats and work fine. I think you can use PP stats with mats, but not sure so will wait for someone elses opinion!
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:10:47
erm... I dont have a clue on any of your questions- But I'll post on here a give your post a Lil Bump!

xXx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000