The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snakes co-habiting, twitching?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:07:48
I used to co-house my two corns together last year and separated them after reading about potential issues (one was smaller than the other at this time). Now due to one of my tanks getting broken, they're sharing housing again for the time being.

They always seemed to get along well before (well, indifferently, which is well enough!), however now they exibit some odd behaviour together.

Both are a few years old, roughly the same size, however when wrapped around each other, they both twitch. As one moves, the other moves in response, and they continually do this.

At first I thought maybe the snake(s) were stressed, but they keep eating and doing their daily explore routine without any other signs that stick out to me...

Unfortunately I don't know their sexes, and don't know if snakes show this kind of behaviour before they mate.

Seeing as the female (if there is one in there!) would be old enough to mate, I don't have an issue with it, but I would like to have a clue if this is coming!

Anyway, throw out some ideas please! I know to feed them separately and am keeping a close eye to see if one snake is trying to dominate areas of the tank as well. So far just the twitching.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:53:42
Well, with short times like that it might be very hard to even notice when they have locked!! I thought for some reason it'd be a few days sort of thing...

Plus, they're both inside a half-log hide which doesn't offer a lot of room or light to see these things!

Those pics help a lot, although I'm quite sure I could have realized what was going on if I did stumble across that! Almost worthy of a NSFW disclaimer maybe?!
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:46:06
Don't try to separate them, they'll do it themselves when they're done.
In my opinion it's better not to disturb the snakes to much.

The length of time they can end up locked for can vary loads, mine used to be somewhere around the 20-25 minute mark, but i've known some to be locked for longer and shorter times.
eeji Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:43:49
have a look through these pics, THATS what locked tails looks like ;) http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=70644&id=681794272
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:41:17
Thanks! I'll keep an eye on them and we'll see what happens!

If they end up locked for a fact, how long does this last and should I avoid going near/starting the snakes? What about feeding, etc? Common sense would tell me not to try and separate snakes at this point.
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:32:34
The weaving through each other does tend to happen during the mating rituals, I currently have my male chasing the females like the end of the world is tomorrow, if I see them locked I will get some piccys to make it easier to explain.

When they lock it means they are in the process of mating so the tails will be locked together at the vent.

n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:19:45
Yes they're both at least 3', not sure of the weight, approximately the thickness of a Canadian Toonie if that means anything to you! :)

When you say 'locked', I'm assuming that means wrapped around each other, but how does this show which is which? (Unless you can tell visually!)

I remember when they used to stay curled around each other, it wasn't tight, and mostly like they just happened to be in the same area and enjoying the heat. I'm noticing now that you mention it, they're weaving through and around each other, almost like a knot.

Is this 'locked'?
eeji Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:19:15
congratulations, you're going to be a grandparent! :D

....or you have 2 males and they don't like being together, although you wouldn't expect to see their tails wrapped if this was the case.
Kehhlyr Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:12:55
It does sound like they are mating, or trying to.
The twitching is (what my missus calls it) a 'dance'. Normally done by the male whilst following the female everywhere.

I'm assuming that because you don't know the sexes they are both above the '3' limit?

If so, just keep watching them, and if you see them locked then that'll tell you which is male and which is female as well.
n/a Posted - 21/01/2010 : 18:10:01
I should also add that they didn't do this originally when housed, and they've also had their tanks side by side, so I doubt they're shocked by each others scent.

I do believe they had lived together before during the summer/fall, if that helps with anything at all.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000