The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 can some one tell me

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bilbo Posted - 20/01/2010 : 20:25:33
do most shops use diffrent manes for the sizes of mice on the feeding guide posted on here you have pinkie fuzzie regular fuzz hoppers weaned and adult. the shop i was planning on getting some mice from have pinkies fuzzies small mice medium mice reg mice and so on. would i be better going by weight of the mouse?? i only ask cause i weied bilbo last might and he is 91g's and need to move him up he is on large fuzzies at the moment but dont look as if he has eaten anything so i have fed him 2 fuzzies for now. any help on this would be good thanks...
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kellog Posted - 22/01/2010 : 10:00:19
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

just a quick message though to all people..please dont move your snake up a size 'because the chart says so'... you know what your snake can handle - according to the chart mont should be on hoppers but I know hes not quite there yet..

not having a dig at anyone
nice chart k

Main reason it is called a 'Rough' mouse guide!

xxx
kdlang Posted - 21/01/2010 : 16:04:40
Rik - I wouldn't mind training Alice up for the Jack Russell size. Although at the moment I am aiming for miniture yorkshire terrier size.

I have to admit I get a little confused with what size I should be feeding but that feeding guide and a little common sense has been brilliant. Since looking at that I realised Alice should be eating more but he isn't big enough to move up a size so I gave him 2 fuzzies that together weigh about 12g. When I go to fetch some more fuzzies from the shop I will certainly be asking to weigh them. I bought myself some jewelry scales just for the purpose lol.
Bilbo Posted - 21/01/2010 : 10:52:59
i do pick my own. also most shops call them diffrent names as well witch dont help. i will go to the shop and have a look at there sizes. i think bilbo needs to move up around now just because it dont take him very long at all to eat the big fuzzies and he is not left with a lump after.. witch is why the last 2 feeds i have given him 2 fuzzies a feed.
Gaz_1989 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 08:51:15
I agree with picking own.

I get 10 at a time and weigh them, and when i think shes ready for another gram, add one in :-)

So for the last few weeks she has had 3g x 2. This morning she had 1 x 4g and 1 x 3g.

Gaz
HannahB Posted - 21/01/2010 : 06:21:24
if you go to a decent shop they will let you pick out your own food - you know what your snake could cope with so it makes sense

just a quick message though to all people..please dont move your snake up a size 'because the chart says so'... you know what your snake can handle - according to the chart mont should be on hoppers but I know hes not quite there yet..

not having a dig at anyone
nice chart k
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 04:40:35
I have found this really confusing as well, and because of that I have put together this rough guide (all from info off the forum) -

Mouse size/feeding guide:

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)

2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)

Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g
)
Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)

Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)

Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)

Large: 4 to 6 weeks ((19 to 25g) – feed every 7 to x days (snake = 170g+)

X large: 6 months + old (350 +) – feed every 10 to x days (Snake = 170+)

I have taken to weighing each mouse before I feed it to Kellog or Silvesta so I know what they are eating (which has been interesting cos they are both eating the same weight, just Kellog in size of jumbo mouse every 10 days and Silvesta 2 medium mice every week)

I think it is a great idea to pick out and weigh the mice before you buy them, am just not too sure how most shops will react to that!

It certainly sounds as though Bilbo could do with being moved up to fluffs/hoppers, or even onto small/weaned mice if you pick through them and choose the smallest. But I am no expert in this area so wait for someone who knows what they are talking about!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rik

........ There is another size feed called Jack Russell and thats what im training Khan to eat when he is big enough lol

Must admit that I have never heard of a 'Jack Russell' size mouse Hope they arent the size of a jack russel....or Khan may struggle a bit !!

xxx
Rik Posted - 21/01/2010 : 02:11:40
Another vote for picking your own. Khan is eating largest pinkies now but not big enough for regular fuzzies, so picked out the smallest fuzzies for him. There is another size feed called Jack Russell and thats what im training Khan to eat when he is big enough lol
hiper2009 Posted - 21/01/2010 : 01:28:58
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

Is "fluffs" another name for fuzzies?
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

The shop I buy from go straight from pinky's to fluffs. I have to go through the bag myself and pick the most suitable size.

I belive so
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:16:20
Is "fluffs" another name for fuzzies?
quote:
Originally posted by headlow

The shop I buy from go straight from pinky's to fluffs. I have to go through the bag myself and pick the most suitable size.

n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:14:38
That's the same as it is here in Germany. they have 1day old pinkies, 4 day old pinkies, then jump to 10 day old fuzzies and up to small mice. I was going to try to move up in size for Snickers, but their small mice looked too large to me.I have to go by weight when using a feeding chart.
quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo

do most shops use diffrent manes for the sizes of mice on the feeding guide posted on here you have pinkie fuzzie regular fuzz hoppers weaned and adult. the shop i was planning on getting some mice from have pinkies fuzzies small mice medium mice reg mice and so on. would i be better going by weight of the mouse?? i only ask cause i weied bilbo last might and he is 91g's and need to move him up he is on large fuzzies at the moment but dont look as if he has eaten anything so i have fed him 2 fuzzies for now. any help on this would be good thanks...

DannyBrown91 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:14:30
Most shops just sell them as pinkies, fuzzies and so on and don't weigh them. They just sell them how they come. I know when i go to get my pinkies i pick them out myself.
headlow Posted - 20/01/2010 : 20:35:27

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000