The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Elijah's Viv When He Upgrades

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LittleMick Posted - 20/01/2010 : 00:52:01
Ok, I know it's a long way off before Elijah moves into a viv, but I wanted to get a design together well before hand and get peoples thoughts on it I was going to just do a concept drawing, but didn't think the overall impression would come across to well so I threw in a 3D design. The design is 2 fold, first if the theory of Large Enclosures Stressing Out Small Snakes is true then this should alleviate the problem, and second it gives a few good options for changing the viv around to give him a change. It would probably be a 3' viv, but a 4' is tempting.

Right, the overall design woud look like this, it is NOT to scale.

So I would have a shelf in there with a hole in it, this cuts the viv in half, so making 2 smaller spaces, the hole would have branches with vines coming through so if Elijah is feeling fearless he can still go through if he wants to. This iswith all the decor and hides removed

The shelf would be held up by a wooden rim around the sides and back, this particular design has the shelf cut short of the front, I might change that.

And having a removable shef gives me more options for changing around the scenery

Thoughts and opions appreciated.

LM
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LittleMick Posted - 21/01/2010 : 20:22:54
Thanks K, comments much appreciated.

Right, the shelf theory, a couple of reasons for having it removable.
- Obviously the first reason for the shelf is for when he inititially moves from the faun to the viv, so that should aleviate any stress if there is any. A few of you aready know I don't believe the Stress in big vivariums theory, but obviously I can't ignore the fact that it might be so. So all I can do is try and see and monitor his behaviour. I mean I won't be removing the shelf as soon as he is in, lol. I'll give it a month, probably longer.
- The other reason is, a customisable viv, as you already stated, Corns are predominantly terrestial by nature but have been known to climb on low branches and such. So when I remove the shelf and it turns out he likes to climb then that gives me another option. The more ways I can move his viv round then it gives him more ways to explore. I don't know what to expect when he goes in the new home, but if it turns out he goes on the top floor more than he likes to climb then I guess I would keep it in there all the time.
I mean it won't exactly turn it into an arboreal viv, but I'm just thinking any branches and their sizes. The viv I was looking at is the Vivexotics CX36 which is 21" tall which means there will only be 11" on the lower and 10" on the higher. Somehow that just doesn't seem enough room for a full grown Corn.

And yes! I forgot to put the 2nd mat in there, lol. But come equipment buying time I would have went for a second one anyway.

Well after all the temp testing I have been doing on his faun over the last few weeks I have found that the substrate temp is alot higher than ambient temp and I was worried that as heat rises, it would be alot warmer up there, so I thought it better to ask. But thinking about it I don't think I will have anything to worry about.

For stats, my first thought was a twin stat where I can run 2 mats of the one stat then use to digi thermometers. But as I am upgrading all the enclosures in my care I am seriously considering or at least researching the day/night stats as well along side night lighting. But too be honest stats confuse me a little.
I mean out of al the stats, I think I only understand about 3 lol.
On/Off state - thats easy.
Twin stat - running 2 stats, easy
Day/Night stat - pretty simple.
Right, now dimmer stats, apparently for lights? But why only for lights, from hat I can make out is, it's like a drip feed of power?
Pulse stas - I have absolutle no idea what the purpose of these are, I read manufacturers descriptions but.....
Don't know if there is anything else stat wise.

You may laugh about my DIY skills, but I'm serious, give me some wood, screws and a srewdriver and ........ check this out Egyptions, now this is a pyramid!!!!!!!!
Actualy though, I think I could manage this, a simple rim around the middle how hard can it be.

I've actually just thought of somethign that may be an issue with the shelf in there, ventilation do you think there may be issues?
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 05:12:09
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

First off, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I do like to think my little ones have the best for them.

.......I have still not seen any evidence of this theory, but I can't discount the possiblity, so I think this will be trial and error, I'll keep the shelf in, see how he behaves, then on a clean out remove the shelf, more observation and just see how it goes.

Not sure what leaving the shelf out achieves as generally (and I use that term very loosely as many of our corns have proved this wrong!!) corns are not climbers, so if the shelf was out then all you would have was the basic floor space and a high viv?? Would certainly be interesting to see how Elijah reacts, but the only problem with that is if you are unknowingly putting him into a stressful situation....which I am sure you wouldnt want to do.

.....when I designed this concept I was to put another heat mat on the top floor, I forgot to post about it......

Didnt think you would have forgotten about it Mick, but though it worth mentioning

would it get too hot?

I am far from an expert, as you know Mick, but I would have thought that as the point of the heatmat is to heat the substrate then having 2 so far away from each other and on different levels wouldnt lead the viv to getting too hot. Surely they wouldnt heat the ambient temp enough to cause a problem?

I'm thinking I could control both mats from one stat? Or maybe get a twin stat rather than 2 stats. Would I need a thermometer for each mat or just that side in general? At the end of the day I still need to monitor substrate level temps for both mats

I cant help you regarding the stats as I am useless where that is concerned, but you will definitely need to monitor the substrate temp at both heatmats, therefore a digital thermometer positioned as you would in a normal viv with one heatmat....you are just doubling it as it is necessary.

......If you mean the concept design, then no I haven't got any issues with that at all, but if you mean the building of the actual viv then I would have to say no, I am the most dodgiest bloke when it comes to DIY, lmao. Tilt your head 45 degrees to the left or right and the shelves in my room look just about right.

Lol!!

.....When I rang 888 for a quote on some other stuff, they said they can do custom stuff, so it will depend on how much they plan to charge, if expensive then I will do it myself, the vivs are flat packed already so it wouldn't be that hard, umm, er!!

If you land up doing it yourself then I wish you luck (and Elijah!!!)

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 20/01/2010 : 21:06:57
First off, thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I do like to think my little ones have the best for them.
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I dont know enough about viv setups to comment, but it certainly seems as though you have taken the size issue into account...trying to make sure he isnt scared by too much open space.

I have still not seen any evidence of this theory, but I can't discount the possiblity, so I think this will be trial and error, I'll keep the shelf in, see how he behaves, then on a clean out remove the shelf, more observation and just see how it goes.
quote:

One question though - the heat mat will heat the substrate at the base of the viv, but what about heating for the 'top floor'? Do you think it is necessary?

quote:

The only thing I would consider doing is to maybe have another smaller heatmat on the upper level as well, judging by scale it looks like the upper and lower sections are gonna be around 12 inches tall.
You wouldn't want a snake to attempt to thermoregulate in the upper level after eating.

I knew I had forgotten something, when I designed this concept I was to put another heat mat on the top floor, I forgot to post about it, thanks for the reminder, lol. Here were some points that I was going to include about a heat mat on the upper level.
- The combined heat of 2 heat mats in the viv, would it get too hot? I'm thinking I could control both mats from one stat? Or maybe get a twin stat rather than 2 stats. Would I need a thermometer for each mat or just that side in general? At the end of the day I still need to monitor substrate level temps for both mats

-Not so much as a problem, more of a pain. If I have a second mat up top, I would have to either remove it on the months the shelf is out, having to keep taking the plug off, OR maybe stick it to the ceiling or wall if they are bare enough to hold it.
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I was looking at that and wondering how to do something like that with my store bought glass viv. That is great!

I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult, all depends on how much you willing to spend on it, would you do it yourself etc. You could either silcone the wood rim around the glass and have a shelf resting on it, or make a four legged table that you can just place in there, it's all down to your imagination and ingenuity
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

are you open to making them for others? that is awesome

If you mean the concept design, then no I haven't got any issues with that at all, but if you mean the building of the actual viv then I would have to say no, I am the most dodgiest bloke when it comes to DIY, lmao. Tilt your head 45 degrees to the left or right and the shelves in my room look just about right. I'm ok at drawing, 3D modelling and stuff like that, but when it comes to making my own furniture or something I don't fare too well. I even put a drill through one of the door runners to Elle's viv when I got that. When I rang 888 for a quote on some other stuff, they said they can do custom stuff, so it will depend on how much they plan to charge, if expensive then I will do it myself, the vivs are flat packed already so it wouldn't be that hard, umm, er!!
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

looks good :)

If you go for the 4', then loads of fake leafy plants just thrown in littering the floor would make great extra hides :)

.....and what did you use to draw that?

Thanks mate, that design was actualy based on a 4 footer, I did scale everything down just to show everyone the overall layout. So I guess really it all depends on the size of hides I get, size of branches. But regardless of viv size I will be making sure there is enough cover for him. I was going to include a piece of slate as well to see if he basks on it, space permitting.

The program I used for that concept Eeji was Maya 3D

Thanks again everyone.
reptiledanny Posted - 20/01/2010 : 20:49:51
for the extra heat on top could you not get two of the smae size heat mats for bottom and top and put on at bottom and then have two pieces of wood and have the heat mat in between the two pieces of wood. or just have like you do ate the bottom.
eeji Posted - 20/01/2010 : 19:40:10
looks good :)

If you go for the 4', then loads of fake leafy plants just thrown in littering the floor would make great extra hides :)

.....and what did you use to draw that?
dean54321 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 19:29:19
wow one lucky corn
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/01/2010 : 17:09:53
The only thing I would consider doing is to maybe have another smaller heatmat on the upper level as well, judging by scale it looks like the upper and lower sections are gonna be around 12 inches tall.
You wouldn't want a snake to attempt to thermoregulate in the upper level after eating.
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 10:50:50
Wow that looks amazing!!!!
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 09:54:32
are you open to making them for others? that is awesome
Gaz_1989 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 08:53:55
Looks awesome mate!

Lucky Corn!
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 07:35:27
I was looking at that and wondering how to do something like that with my store bought glass viv. That is great!
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Ok, I know it's a long way off before Elijah moves into a viv, but I wanted to get a design together well before hand and get peoples thoughts on it I was going to just do a concept drawing, but didn't think the overall impression would come across to well so I threw in a 3D design. The design is 2 fold, first if the theory of Large Enclosures Stressing Out Small Snakes is true then this should alleviate the problem, and second it gives a few good options for changing the viv around to give him a change. It would probably be a 3' viv, but a 4' is tempting.

Right, the overall design woud look like this, it is NOT to scale.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/T9FURY/Snake/VivConcept01.jpg
[IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/T9FURY/Snake/VivConcept02.jpg
So I would have a shelf in there with a hole in it, this cuts the viv in half, so making 2 smaller spaces, the hole would have branches with vines coming through so if Elijah is feeling fearless he can still go through if he wants to. This iswith all the decor and hides removed
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/T9FURY/Snake/VivConcept03.jpg

The shelf would be held up by a wooden rim around the sides and back, this particular design has the shelf cut short of the front, I might change that.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/T9FURY/Snake/VivConcept04.jpg
And having a removable shef gives me more options for changing around the scenery
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm72/T9FURY/Snake/VivConcept05.jpg

Thoughts and opions appreciated.

LM

*edited by Kehhlyr to remove duplication of pics, when using the quote button please remove photo links as this only increases server and page load times, thanks.
Kellog Posted - 20/01/2010 : 03:22:01
All I can say is wow!!! And that Elijah is one very lucky corn having that luxury home waiting for him.

I dont know enough about viv setups to comment, but it certainly seems as though you have taken the size issue into account...trying to make sure he isnt scared by too much open space.

One question though - the heat mat will heat the substrate at the base of the viv, but what about heating for the 'top floor'? Do you think it is necessary?

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000