The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Frozen mice

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbarnes92 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 23:04:43
Okay so I'm gonna start ordering some mice ready for my cornie but when I feed them to it, how do I thaw them leave them in room temperature heat them up? If so how microwave warm water?
I'm just curious
18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 24/01/2010 : 00:16:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I have defrosted pinkies by putting them near the heater vent on my laptop as well, it brings them up to a good temp as well.

Haha I like that!

I just get a little cupful of warm water and drop the pinkies in, usually leave them in ages just to be sure.

When im feeding with the tongs, my hand naturally shakes, so my 3 week old girl goes for it naturally. :)
Kellog Posted - 21/01/2010 : 05:16:38
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

I leave them to thaw naturally then chuck em in once they've defrosted properly

Must admit I am like you in letting them thaw naturally and, as long as they are defrosted fully, then feeding them straight to the snakes....although I dont just 'chuck em in' because I feed out of the viv. Never had any problems with them taking them.

xxx

with 30 mice to defrost each time, it would be a real pain keeping an eye on them all in cups of water everywhere :D

Dont think I would want to defrost a jumbo like that anyway cos how can you be sure it has fully thawed and doesnt have ice crystals inside?? Surely best to do it naturally overnight cos then that concern is no longer a concern...

xxx
eeji Posted - 20/01/2010 : 19:54:10
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

Must admit I am like you in letting them thaw naturally and, as long as they are defrosted fully, then feeding them straight to the snakes....although I dont just 'chuck em in' because I feed out of the viv. Never had any problems with them taking them.

xxx

with 30 mice to defrost each time, it would be a real pain keeping an eye on them all in cups of water everywhere :D
Kehhlyr Posted - 20/01/2010 : 17:04:46
I have defrosted pinkies by putting them near the heater vent on my laptop as well, it brings them up to a good temp as well.
Lilpunk Posted - 20/01/2010 : 14:20:34
It also raises the bacteria levels if you use a microwave and can cause many problems for corns
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:58:14
quote:
Originally posted by jbarnes92

haha i wont, dont want no frozen-mouse-insides all over my microwave meals

jbarnes92 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:55:46
haha i wont, dont want no frozen-mouse-insides all over my microwave meals
SexyBear77 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:42:05
quote:

sweet so theres really no specific way? just let them thaw and then warm them up a bit for there enjoyment i take it? cheers guys

Just dont microwave them!
jbarnes92 Posted - 20/01/2010 : 13:39:22
sweet so theres really no specific way? just let them thaw and then warm them up a bit for there enjoyment i take it? cheers guys
elament Posted - 20/01/2010 : 12:20:33
Colin is on small mice now and I just leave them in a plastic margarine tub to thaw out at room temprature then for the last few mins i put them under a spotlight bulb just to warm em up a bit. The result? Colin strikes at em every time only once had a refusal (when he was shedding) and never a regurg so it works for me.
Paul Hume Posted - 20/01/2010 : 08:28:25
I leave mine to thaw in room temp and then give straight away and they have always taken them.
n/a Posted - 20/01/2010 : 07:28:19
I put mine in a plastic baggy and soak it for a few minutes in a cup of hot water until the center feels warm. Snickers likes it to feel warm so I try not to leave it with her until it cools down. If she doesn't take it immediately, I warm it up again for her. I go to unusual extremes so I'm sure others will disagree with me. It has to be completely thawed though. I read that they will regurge if it is not.
quote:

Okay so I'm gonna start ordering some mice ready for my cornie but when I feed them to it, how do I thaw them leave them in room temperature heat them up? If so how microwave warm water?
I'm just curious

Blackecho Posted - 20/01/2010 : 07:01:50
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Hot water (not boiling! they burst) though if I'm not in a rush I just leave them out to defrost naturally. Both methods then get a finishing blast with the hairdryer to make them nice and warm.

Same here.
Kellog Posted - 20/01/2010 : 03:28:38
quote:

xxx
eeji Posted - 20/01/2010 : 00:02:06
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 23:26:16
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Hot water (not boiling! they burst) though if I'm not in a rush I just leave them out to defrost naturally. Both methods then get a finishing blast with the hairdryer to make them nice and warm.

There normly fairly warm from the water. Although i always check there only about the same temperature as my hand, don't want to burn my snakeys mouth.
SexyBear77 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 23:23:48
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 23:12:20
I just get how water out the tap in to a tub, put the pinky into a bag and defrost it that way, only takes like 30 seconds for a pinkie.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000