The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 temps

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
danbaylis35 Posted - 17/01/2010 : 18:34:57
hey guys iv been reading here and there about the temp tht the viv should be in the hot end, mine was set to 88f but read tht this is too high but some places say tht is right...iv turned it down to 84 now is tht better?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 19/01/2010 : 00:58:07
quote:
Originally posted by Matts_Mum

quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

any chances of pics of your set up?

how are you measuring the temps?

Measuring the temps with a digital thermometer at the heated end, dial thermometer at the cool end, and as per my edit above I'm double checking those with my digital ear thermometer which is giving different readings than the faun thermometer. I can probably post a pic later.

My stat kicks in when the temp gets to 27 and cuts off at 31.
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 23:09:36
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

yeah i think Ultratherm are ok but thought it best to check if it was easy enough to

it's only the E-T rainforest ones that stick in my head as needing an air gap, and their only suitable for glass vivs too!

after the regurge i'd just try 1 pinky this feed, not handle him at all, then if it stays down offer another single pinky after another 5 days and see where you go from there hun *crosses fingers*

Yep, deffo best to check, thanks. And yes, will follow your advice re feeding. It's not like he hasn't eaten (and digested) successfully here before, so hopefully he will again.
gingerpony Posted - 18/01/2010 : 22:55:05
yeah i think Ultratherm are ok but thought it best to check if it was easy enough to

it's only the E-T rainforest ones that stick in my head as needing an air gap, and their only suitable for glass vivs too!

after the regurge i'd just try 1 pinky this feed, not handle him at all, then if it stays down offer another single pinky after another 5 days and see where you go from there hun *crosses fingers*
n/a Posted - 18/01/2010 : 22:17:51
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

79*F = 26*C
89*F = 31*C

if the temps are measured accurately (as discussed via email) that range should be fine
the mat does need to be up against the underside of the faun BUT some types like the E-T rainforest heatmats MUST have an air gap underneath so it's worth double checking the manufacturers guidelines. if you haven't still got the original packaging (and tbh who's really likely to lol) then i'm sure it will be on the manufacturers website

your set up looks fine and temps sound good so hopefully a successful (small) feed next week!

Phew! The heatmat is an Ultratherm... I dont recall reading any specific instructions about leaving a gap and I can't find any info online that says whether I should or shouldn't. I'm guessing it's ok since the rep shop guy suggested I could put it inside the faun if I couldn't get the temps right on the outside. But since he's only ten mins away from me I can always pop in the shop and check the instructions on the packs.

And to be honest Eric seems much more chilled already as I'm now seeing him out and about. He seems to like the blanket over the faun and maybe even the fact it's the same colour as him may help him feel like he can blend in and be inconspicuous, lol.

So yes, he seems to be lots more lively, being left to his own devices & will attempt to feed him at the weekend. I was planning on offering 2 pinkies at his next feed, based on his length & weight (before the regurge) but I'm probably best staying with one for the next feed from what I've read here?

Thanks for the help.
gingerpony Posted - 18/01/2010 : 21:56:47
79*F = 26*C
89*F = 31*C

if the temps are measured accurately (as discussed via email) that range should be fine
the mat does need to be up against the underside of the faun BUT some types like the E-T rainforest heatmats MUST have an air gap underneath so it's worth double checking the manufacturers guidelines. if you haven't still got the original packaging (and tbh who's really likely to lol) then i'm sure it will be on the manufacturers website

your set up looks fine and temps sound good so hopefully a successful (small) feed next week!
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 23:10:41
Ohh, and temp drops to 79, stat kicks in, temp gets to 87 stat cuts out... temp continues to rise to 89, then begins to drop til it gets back to 79 and repeats on an approx 20 minute cycle.
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 22:25:43

Heat mat is under the cave side, aspen very fine there, and both stat and digital thermometer probes are together in there.

I added the aspen, and the blanket, and put the faun down by the radiator due to minimum temps dropping so low, and Eric having a regurge.

Now the heatmat is nearer the faun (on the outside) as the faun feet left quite a gap when he was on a hard surface, but now they sink into the carpet.
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 19:45:29
quote:
Originally posted by sexychef

Measuring the temps with a digital thermometer at the heated end, dial thermometer at the cool end, and as per my edit above I'm double checking those with my digital ear thermometer which is giving different readings than the faun thermometer. I can probably post a pic later.
sexychef Posted - 17/01/2010 : 19:41:20

n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 19:30:56
I seem to be having issues with my temps. My stat is set to 31, and I'm getting min/max temps of 79-90 in the heated end. Is this likely to be a faulty stat? I've been monitoring the min/max temps all w.end, and dont know how to correct this.

I have an on/off ministat 100, which was bought new a few weeks ago when we got Eric. Looking at posts on here other people don't seem to be getting these drastic swings.

Edited to add... when it's reading 90 I've checked the floor of the viv with my digital ear thermometer and that's reading 83 so not sure what's going on? I've got my probes together over the heated end.
sexychef Posted - 17/01/2010 : 18:50:54
you want it around 28-30c which is 82-86 and 88 would be the hottest i would go with a corn

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000