The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 weighing and feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 17:50:18
i have 2 snakes, alfie and lola, alfie is a caramel corn he is almost 7 months old now, he is on a fuzzie once a week and weighs 48g lola is a snow corn 4 months old is on a pinkie every 5 days and weighs 14g, does this sound about right? also what is the feeding scale, my brother got my snakes food and while he was getting it, in the draw they had rat pups? what are these and am i right in what they are getting fed? many thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 17:59:28
I weigh Snickers before each feed. That way I know how much she is weighing and not necessarily how much the prey weighed.
quote:
Originally posted by Oakey

Me thinks I need to weight roxy and see how she's getting on.
Only got her 2 days ago so will probably do it at the end of this week .

newsnakekeeper Posted - 25/01/2010 : 17:43:26

Noooooo! You're missing out on so much fun not watching your snakies feed. I would really recommend watching them - it's absolutely amazing and also a great time to get decent photos whilst they are still.
[/quote]

Mine on 2 pinkies and i think he says i wait till u gone to bed then i eat lol will try an earlier feed time i think
n/a Posted - 25/01/2010 : 16:21:39
Me thinks I need to weight roxy and see how she's getting on.
Only got her 2 days ago so will probably do it at the end of this week .
gingerpony Posted - 19/01/2010 : 22:35:42
watching your snake at one of its most vulnerable times is quite intimidating!!!

imagine going out for a meal, you're sat next to the window, start eating your meal and there's somebody staring in at YOU!
Sammysnake Posted - 19/01/2010 : 19:36:40
quote:
i have yet to see if my snake got a bump it always eats after i gone to bed

Noooooo! You're missing out on so much fun not watching your snakies feed. I would really recommend watching them - it's absolutely amazing and also a great time to get decent photos whilst they are still.
newsnakekeeper Posted - 18/01/2010 : 19:26:31
i have yet to see if my snake got a bump it always eats after i gone to bed and when i look day after it decided to burrow from iside the hide
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 04:51:56
This is the rough feeding guide:

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)
2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)
Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g)
Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
Large: 4 to 6 weeks ((19 to 25g) – feed every 7 to x days (snake = 170g+)
X large: 6 months + old (350 +) – feed every 10 to x days (Snake = 170+)

So going by this you are feeding Alfie and Lola perfectly!!

To give you an idea of what they look like - http://www.canberraexotics.com.au/admin/photos/frozen%20mouse%20chart.jpg

The guide for feeding is 1.5 times the width of the snake, thats a maximum size.

You can work out if your snake needs to move up in size when there is no longer a bump once they have eated their 'dinner'.

Remember that snakes are opportunistic feeders...in the wild they will never know when or where they are getting their next meal and they are the same in captivity, so given the chance they will overfeed and it is up to us to make sure this doesnt happen, no matter how hungry they may look!

Rat pups are higher in fat and lower in calcium than adult mice, making them less suitable for a corn's staple diet.

xxx

n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 21:12:22
thanks guys much appreciated x
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 20:21:52
I was not aware that corns weren't supposed to have rats (pups). I've been in a pet store where they had a small adult rat in the viv for the corn to eat. It looked to large for the snake anyway and then the snake wasnt' eating it so the rat was running around in the thing. Didn't look like a safe environment for the snake.
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

those weights and what they are being fed sound fine

rat pups are baby rats and to be honest they arent good for corns - rats are better suited for royals and similar due to their high fat count

HannahB Posted - 17/01/2010 : 17:56:54
those weights and what they are being fed sound fine

rat pups are baby rats and to be honest they arent good for corns - rats are better suited for royals and similar due to their high fat count

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000