The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Advice on new snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elament Posted - 17/01/2010 : 12:57:22
I am due to take on my second corn next weekend. Her name is candy and she has had a very poor start in life. She was born in april 09 and did not feed right up till 4th December when she was force fed. She was fed again on the 11th the 18th (took one pinky with help) then again on the 25th (two small pinkys this time) then she refused the next feed. Her skin was all wrinky and dry so I advised the current owner that she was prob dehydrated and going through a difficult shed which was no suprise as she hadnt eaten at all. Around the 10th January after frequent baths she shed once then again a day later. She now has lovely skin and markings and is taking two pinkies with no help at all.
She is due to move to mine next weekend and I am intending to home her in a 24" Viv.
It may sound like a silly question but i know of the one week rule but seeing as she has only just gotten into something of a regular feeding regime (and I am worried as with her lack of eating she is underweight and under developed) should I try to feed her on her feeding day which will be around wednesday? I am obviously keen to get her weight up to where it should be and wondered if this breaking of the 7 day rule is warrented or should I wait until the weekend after before I feed her. I will of course resisit the urge to handle her untill then.
Your advice would be most welcome

Cheers

Steve
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
elament Posted - 20/01/2010 : 12:44:19
thanks for that Kellog, I am armed for the shed with all the experience i have gleened for this site and am ready with the atomizer lol. Looks like candy has gone into blue again judging by what my freind tells me ( he reckons she looking a bit dull and dry around the head area) so I already have the water bowl over the heat mat. I am aware hatchlings and small corns shed quite often but seems she has gone into blue a bit quick for my liking. I am willing to bet most of the time she hadnt eaten she also hadnt shed much either and her metabolism has gone into overdrive.
Think this is going to be a long haul (sighs)
Kellog you should do a sticky on the various ways to assist a shed (think i am going to need it lol)
Kellog Posted - 20/01/2010 : 05:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by elament

As are a lot of you which is why I am here lol. .......

I guess the next telling time will be the next shed. Up till now all her sheds have come of in pieces so I cant wait for the day I get a full skin off her.

You can do things to assist with her shed by increasing the humidity, especially if she is a known problem shedder. Just moving the water bowl to the warm side will help and I also mist the viv once every morning while my corns are blue. If she needs more help than that you can put in a 'damp' hide filled with moss to raise the humidity more.....but wait and see how her first shed with you goes and take it from there.

xxx
elament Posted - 19/01/2010 : 10:56:17
As are a lot of you which is why I am here lol. I got Candys Viv last night (white as well I aint seen that before but who am i to complain I got the viv stat mat light and thermometer all for a bargain £60 brand new). Its all set up and running like a dream so i guess in that respect once i got a suitable sized rub i am ready to take up the challenge. once i got her back into a regular feeding pattern I guess the next telling time will be the next shed. Up till now all her sheds have come of in pieces so I cant wait for the day I get a full skin off her. Apparently she has turned into a right greedy bugger since she got rid of those two skins and is always on the lookout for food so I am hoping that carries on.
Fingers crossed

cheers

steve
Kellog Posted - 19/01/2010 : 06:29:50
quote:
Originally posted by elament

Thats a good idea GP thanks for that
cheers

steve

GP is full of good ideas!! Wouldnt expect anything less!

xxx
elament Posted - 18/01/2010 : 23:18:46
Thats a good idea GP thanks for that

cheers

steve
gingerpony Posted - 18/01/2010 : 22:23:43
a RUB inside the 2footer sounds ike a much better idea but i'd still cover 3 sides of the RUB despite it being in the viv

the de-stress time is very important. yes some corns settle straight away but as this is a new one you don't actually know if it will or not. i'd try to time getting it 2 days after a feed and leave it to settle for at least 5 days as a bit of a compromise
elament Posted - 18/01/2010 : 09:50:37
Thanks for the advice.
I should of actually said I was planning to put her in a rub inside the viv (doh) as the 24 is for when she is quite a bit bigger (just so happens a 24" set up has been offered to me) Sorry GP and Kellog I should have said.
Incidently has anyone noticed this before...
My freind has a lot of corns and has had them all sexed by a vet so he knows what sex they are. He has noticed that all the females when gotten out immediately wrap around your fingers or hand but the males prefer to sit on top of you hand or on your arm. Also he has noticed that all his males (four in total all in different vivs) all spend more time in the cold end of the vivs than the females. I have gone through his set ups and they are all in perfect order and all his snakes are in perfect health and not at all stressed so it could just be a coincidence but saying that I know Colin is male and he also spends a lot of time up the cold end and when you get him out he to prefers to sit on you rather than wind round your fingers etc. Is this just a coincidence or has anyone else noticed that too?

cheers

steve
Kellog Posted - 18/01/2010 : 04:39:55
I definitely agree with GP (unsurprisingly) that if you are trying to cause Candy as little stress as possible then the last thing she needs it to be put into a 24" viv. She is only 12" long and you are suggesting putting her in a viv that is twice her length! The normal suggested size of viv is that the length of the snake = the length + the depth of the viv. Anything bigger than that will scare her as it is too open and exposed, even if you pack it with hides and plants.

As far as the 7 day rule is concerned I would say it is a necessity. I know you are worried about her regular feeding routine being interrupted, but she is in a vulnerable state as it is and the move to you will stress her more. She needs time to get over that stress and to get used to her new surroundings and to your smell. It is only 7 days that you have to wait and it is more important to do that than to try and feed her while she is stressed.

You must also be careful about not trying to overfeed her to get her weight up...so make sure you keep to a slow and steady increase of her feeds that corresponds to her size and weight.

xxx
gingerpony Posted - 17/01/2010 : 22:07:52
sorry hun but i'd be MUCH more concerned that putting an under developed hatchie into a 2ft viv will put her off her feeding pattern...........
elament Posted - 17/01/2010 : 13:50:02
Thats what i was planning to do
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 13:48:49
Maybe just try to feed her in a day or so and put a pinkie in with her on a peace of card or paper at night time and see if it has gone in the morning. That way she isn't being handled.

Rich.
elament Posted - 17/01/2010 : 13:31:51
Yeah normally I would wait. I was lucky with my first corn Colin. The shop I got him from said nothing of the seven day rule and I handled him straight away and attempted to feed him the day I got him and he refused. The following day he took a meal no problems although Colin is a very freindly snake and showed no signs of stress at all although I know now and would never attempt such during the seven day cooling off period. With Candy I am keen to get the weight back on and whilst I wont handle her during the first week I am wondering if I should attempt to feed her because of her weight size. Incidently she is nine months old and about 12" long with a very skinny body (thinner than your little finger)

cheers

steve
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 13:17:58
Hi mate I would imo not feed her until the 7 day settling in period only because she might be stressed from the move and not eat anyway.
So it maybe less stressful for her.

I bought one of my snakes about 12 days ago and her last feed was the 29th Dec and she only ate last night for the first time.

Hope that helps.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000