The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Tempatures!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
tidus Posted - 17/01/2010 : 02:17:57
Hi im just researching on corn snakes to make sure I have everything I need. And I was curious about the tempatures I know its supposed to be about 75 to 85. But do I need 2 thermometers? One of the hot side and one on the cool side? or does it matter? thanks:)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 11:01:43
Corn Snakes are cold blooded and get heat from their surroundings. In the wild snakes bask in the sun to keep warm or move to a shady spot if they are too hot, this is called thermo-regulation. The ideal temperature for you snake's vivarium is a temperature gradient of 21-30°C (70-86°F)

Heat should be provided using either a heat mat with thermostat or a bulb with a dimming stat on the roof of the vivarium surrounded by a bulb guard.

Heat mats should only cover between a third and a half of the floor space to allow your snake to thermo-regulate. This heat mat should be regulated by a thermostat to ensure that it does not overheat. Since a heat mat should provide sufficient heat to keep your corn snake happy, a basic mat stat, like the Microclimate Ministat 100 or the Habistat Mat Stat, should be appropriate. These thermostats are available from reptile shops and online, are relatively cheap, and will ensure the heat source is regulated at a safe level.

A popular alternative to the heat mat is a normal light bulb on the roof of the vivarium, attached to a dimming stat. It is important to ensure that the heat source is protected from direct contact with you snake by using a guard. Corn snakes do not feel heat in the same way that we do and do not always realise that something they are touching is burning them. A bulb guard will ensure that your Corn snake will stay a safe distance away from the heat of the bulb so burns will be avoided. The disadvantages of using a bulb as a heat source is that the bulb needs to be turned on constantly to keep the vivarium at the correct temperature. Your corn snake does not require light 24 hours a day and can suffer from stress if the light exposure is too long. It is recommended to keep your corn snake in a natural light pattern that mimics normal daytime, so a heat mat is a better choice between the two heat sources. If you do decide to use a heat mat, then a energy-saving bulb with guard can be added to the vivarium for decorative purposes to help you see your snake.

It's useful when using either method to have a small thermometer on each end of the vivarium to check the temperature. Place the thermometers near the hides on top of the substrate as this is where your Corn snake will spend the majority of it's time. One end should be around 30°C and the other around 21°C. Checking temperatures regularly is advised to ensure that your Corn Snake can thermo-regulate by moving around the tank

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Middle paragraph xXx
tidus Posted - 17/01/2010 : 05:06:37
I read everything i need to know about the corn snake. I did alot of research jsut the only thing right now is the temps. I dont know what i should do to heat the viv. either a light of the undermat that heats up. if i can get away with jsut having one i will do that. and the setting up of the thermostats seems confusing to me lol but i can manage
Kellog Posted - 17/01/2010 : 04:19:27
Ideally you need two digital thermometer...one in each end, or you can get a dual one that has 2 sensors so you can place one in warm end and one in cool end, and a digital display that shows both temps.

The warmest part of the viv should be roughly 82oF to 84oF (which is 27.8oC to 28.9oC in our language ). The cool end should be 72oF to 75oF (22.2oC to 23.9oC).

How are you planning on heating your viv?

Have you checked out these topics - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133 (great advice for when you get your 1st snake) and
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm (vital information regarding the care of corn snakes).

xxx

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000