The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Just got home with my first corn snake

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fernando Pierre Posted - 16/01/2010 : 18:59:15
I have just set up my viv and got a heating pad which I have been told to place under a ceramic tile, this I have done, also I have a "special reptile" fluorescent light installed, I am a little concerned about the temperature of the viv in general as well as the tile, as it is quite warm to the touch around 39 degrees Celsius, I have about 3cm of floor covering over it. The air temperature inside the viv on the tile side is 29-30 Degrees Celsius and on the opposite side is 28-29. This is with the fluorescent light off.
Can somebody please give me some guidance on weather I should switch everything off at night (as it would get cooler at night in the wild) or
should I keep the temperature 24h a day as above.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fernando Pierre Posted - 22/01/2010 : 17:09:26
eh
Fernando Pierre Posted - 22/01/2010 : 13:07:39
ok i will i'm sorry i'm rely rely new at this!
Kellog Posted - 19/01/2010 : 05:55:42
Fernando - I know in the original post on the 16th you opened the topic saying that you had just got home with your first corn snake. I now see that you are already handling Diablo and elsewhere you have said that you have fed him.

You were obviously not told The one-week rule...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, allowing the snake to get used to your smell and not feel threatened by you. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snakes to de-stress and feel safe with you. Obviously you have already handled and fed Diablo, but it would be good to leave him for a week now before you feed/handle him again. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snakes' sake.

xxx

Fernando Pierre Posted - 19/01/2010 : 04:26:46
eh!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 18/01/2010 : 18:04:46
i have a snow corn called Diablo and i am getting a normal one too!!!!!!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 18/01/2010 : 13:23:44
i love my corn so much!!!! he loves it in the top of his viv!!!! and when i stroke him he just lies down and watches TV with me!!!!!
Fernando Pierre Posted - 17/01/2010 : 14:02:40
Thanks so much for the info, and i live in cape town!
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 11:08:51
Hello!

Congrats on your new Snake!

Where abouts in SA are you?

From what I have learned on TCS:

After feeding you should leave your snake for 48 hours to digest - handling when snake has a full stomach could cause your snake to sick up everything he/she has eaton :(

As for feeding- most people on here weigh their snakes (generally with Digi Skales and then compare to this:

-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

So depending on the size/weight of your snake- 2 mice could be too much

This thread is about heating your Viv/RUB and should explain where to have your thermometers/probes:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7557&whichpage=1

xXx

EDIT: to add link to heating thread
Fernando Pierre Posted - 17/01/2010 : 06:28:38
WOW guys, thank you for your info and great replies, I will get a thermostat first thing tomorrow, the viv is 120cm x 45cm x 70cm, is made of plywood, the mat is about 40cm x 40cm and it covers roughly 1/3. I am sure once I get a thermostat I will be able to control the temperature well, just to confirm !! I will set it so on the area over the mat I will try and achieve 29 Degrees. Also once I feed it how long should I let it rest before handling it? am I correct in saying two mice once a week is the correct amount? thanks again to you all
n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 20:00:47

Hi and welcome to snakehood

As a matter of urgency, read this:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

with particular attention to the recommended temps. Meanwhile, please switch off the heat until you have the correct set up.

Enjoy your new snake and don't forget to post pics when you have them!

Kehhlyr Posted - 16/01/2010 : 19:58:00
Is it a flourescent tube light?
A lot of people (myself included) would recommend NOT to have one as there is a high chance that they don't see it as a static light and that it is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkbKgrKeX0s
Imagine living in that day in and day out.

The temps in the cool end will likely drop to about 20c if you can get the heat mat onto a stat.
Roughly what is the ambient temp in your house?
How big is the viv?
what's it made of?
how big is the heatmat?
how much of the bottom of the viv does the heatmat cover? (a third/half etc)
DannyBrown91 Posted - 16/01/2010 : 19:46:00
You should keep your heatmat on but it needs to be controlled by a thermostat. 39 degrees celsius is far too hot ideally you need to be around 27 - 29 in the warm end. Air temperature isnt too important as snakes regulate their body temperature with the surfaces they touch.

Uncontrolled heat mats can be very dangerous for your snake, too hot and your snake could die. It is better for you to turn it off and get a thermostat as soon as you can.

Also if you dont have a digital thermometer get one of these also.

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000