The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Viv heating!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 22:39:21
Hi everyone,
Just wanted to ask a quick question on what relevant heating sources I should use. I have a vx36 wooden vivarium and at the moment ive got two heat mats one under the substrate covering barely any floor and quite a big one on the side wall in the hot end, after thinking about this I dont think its sufficent enough. Would any of you guys recommend getting a heat lamp and a heat mat anyway can anyone really tell me what I should buy and what size and watt thanks alot.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gingerpony Posted - 28/01/2010 : 21:06:24
quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Pierre

eh

sorry??
elament Posted - 28/01/2010 : 18:01:42
I have heard some heatmats have a microswitch in them that stops the mat from overheating and some people heat their vivs without thermostats but I personly wouldnt. Also if you can afford a pulse stat instead of an on off one they are better at keeping constant thempratures but to be honest since i attached the probe on my thermostat to the probe on the thermometer I havent had any problems with temp fluctuation its usually within .5 of a degree of 28.5. When I got my viv it came with a lamp fitting and a spotlight bulb which i installed thinking I needed them. THe result was the bulb heated up the warm end of the viv to the degree where during the day the mat was hardly on. I have since ditched the spotlight bulb for an energy saver and the result is better heating for Colin as said already on this thread corns prefer to get heat through their bellys
Fernando Pierre Posted - 28/01/2010 : 14:48:28
eh
gingerpony Posted - 17/01/2010 : 22:28:42
ditch the one on the wall it's pointless

if it will cover one half to one third of the viv floor space then use it there instead of the smaller one...

and if you mean strip lights by light bars the flicker is not good for your snake's state of mind!! if it's just to view the snake then ideally use an energy saving bulb that will produce very little heat and no flicker
tidus Posted - 17/01/2010 : 18:54:43
I didnt want to make another topic so im asking my question here cuz its the same topic i need answered. for the heating of the viv. does the heat mat heat up the whole tank. like i know the one half supposed to be hotter but will some of that heat move to the cold side to make the heat there 70 to 80? or will i need something for the cold side to stay at that temp.
n/a Posted - 17/01/2010 : 18:12:05
Im thinking of getting some bar lights for my wooden vx36 vivs just to have better visibility of my vivs, can anyone suggest what ones to get that will also have fittings to fit the light in the viv thanks alot any suggestions will be gladly noted.
LittleMick Posted - 17/01/2010 : 16:05:59
At substrate level warm end should 27-30c and the cool end should be around 21-23c, as I learned with some helpful advice from memebers on here DON'T TRUST THE THERMOSTAT DIAL.

I can set my habistat thermostat dial to 30c and the temperature on the thermometer will read 34-36c.

I can set my Komodo Thermostat dial to 32 for my Leopard Gecko and the thermometer says 36-39c.

Another option if you don't trust the temps is buy a liquid themometer and do tests with these as a back up.
Fernando Pierre Posted - 17/01/2010 : 08:45:43
Hi all, thanks for all the info here!!! But i would like to know what the actual floor temp should be, or what to set the thermostat to.
n/a Posted - 16/01/2010 : 11:59:39
Ok thanks alot you lot for the advice,I have digital thermometers which read hot end: about 80-85c and the cold end about 75c about the room temprature, im glad you said about the radiator his viv is by a really nice and warm radiator, however even with the heat mat setup I dont think the temps are too far off and the temps never go over 90 so it can never get too hot its a bit strange, However im glad hes still always crazy for food and is always eating no matter what. im going to get the 11x11 12 watt heat mat and a proportional thermostat so ti can be a really accurate temp.
Kellog Posted - 16/01/2010 : 05:20:05
I am so glad you got given this corn, and so angry about the condition it was being kept in (apologies if the person you got it from was a friend). Why dont people learn about the pets they have and the care they need - and why dont they care about those pets they have !!!

You have been given the best advice already regarding the need for a heatmat on the base of the viv. One question, you say you have thermometers....what sort are they (digital or the stick on the wall type), where are they and what readings are they giving?

The sooner you get a thermostat the better...for reasons already stated.

xxx
LittleMick Posted - 16/01/2010 : 02:09:58
I really saddens me to hear things like this, glad he'sgot someone to take care of him now.

As SB said, Corn snakes get their heat from warm surfaces (roads, rocks, sand), dependent on region, rather than basking in the sun, thats why lamps are not required.
Defo get a themostat, it would be a pain if you had to keep monitoring the heat yourself and turning the heat mat on and off.
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/01/2010 : 23:26:50
Sounds like he is lucky you've got him.

Keep a very close eye on the thermometers if there is no stat, and if the temps get too high turn the mats off immediately, unregulated mats can kill a snake. If you are worried about him getting cold then put the viv near a radiator.
n/a Posted - 15/01/2010 : 22:57:34
well I got given this corn and not in a very good state he was in a small viv, never cleaned out, never handled still previous sheds in there, im not sure what happened but when I got him no water in his bowl;/ bit scary. Thats all changed hes got everything changed now apart from his heating which he had 2 heats mats one on side one on floor no even covering quarter space, and no thermostat and no thermometers to be seen however ive got thermometers now just need to change his heating bless him:).

Im hoping theres no R.I. as a consequence!

*edited by Kehhlyr - Double posting*
SexyBear77 Posted - 15/01/2010 : 22:45:33
I have an 11x11, 12 watt inch mat in a vivarium the same size as yours. The heatmat should be on the floor, not the wall (your snake will get no heat), covering up to half of the floor space. Make sure your heat mats are regulated by a thermostat and monitored by digital thermometers.

Lamps arent as good as mats for corns, they prefer belly heat.

Also, why do you think you need more heating?

Edited for- being forgetful

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000