The Corn Snake Forum
The Corn Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Pinkie and Fuzzy Sizes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gaz_1989 Posted - 13/01/2010 : 09:03:26
There are 2 reptile shops right near my house that i use for equipment and food etc.

I went to stock up on fuzzys at the weekend for when stella moves up...

The one ive already got is 4g and looks like a big pinkie.

I went and got 5 x Fuzzys, with the fur, Weighed them when i got home and they were 6g, 7g, 7g, 8g and 9g! Lol.

They vary soooo much!

I went the other shop yesterday and asked for smaller fuzzys, got 10 of them and they weighed between 4.5g and 6g so a much better size to start her with fuzzys.

She is currently having 2 x 3g Pinkies (even though labelled as fuzzys, they really arent).

I think she has got 2 more feeds of these left.

Then i was going to offer her the 4g fuzzy.

Then after a couple of 4g move onto 5g, 6g, 7g etc.

However, at the moment she is having 6g of feed, and im going to be dropping her to a 4g fuzzy. And its gonna be a few weeks before shes on a 6g fuzzy.

Theres no way she could fit a 6g fuzzy in yet.

Will she lose weight or will her growing slow down because she is not getting as much food?

And also is it okay to feed her like this? Slowly progressing up 1g at a time over a few weeks, or should you feed the same size for a while, then feed 2 of that size, then move up to the next level?

Thanks

Gaz
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gaz_1989 Posted - 14/01/2010 : 08:44:33
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Kellog - I didnt used to weight the pinkies, but then i went for fuzzys and they vary soooo much, ive got 2 Fuzzys at home that LOOK the same size, but one is 5.5g and one is 8g, thats a big difference to the snake if you fed the 5.5g one week and the 8g the next week surely?

So i decided on weighing them and bagging them up in 0.5g increments, this way i can feed her the same for a couple of weeks then jump up 0.5g and really monitor what she is having.

People may say this is a bit too much hassle etc, but i am quite picky, and if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing well.

Will be interesting to see what people say about your chart kellog, it looks good to me though :-)

Kellog Posted - 14/01/2010 : 03:47:33
What you have said makes perfect sense Gaz, and just brings home how important it is to weigh not only the snake but also what you are feeding them. I am so glad you have been doing that.

I think that what SexyChef and Stumpy have said is right, just move her slowly up in size starting on 5 days and moving her to 7 days as the fuzzy gets larger.

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly but it is in the same topic . I have tried putting together a chart from other info gathered from the forum to try and sort out what pinkies/fuzzies/hoppers are, their weight, when to feed them, how often they should be fed etc. I would be really interested if 'those who know' could correct it so I can be sure that what I have said is right (would hate to give out wrong info to someone):

Mouse size/feeding guide:

1 Pinkie: 1 to 5 days old (0.5 - 3g) - feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 4-15g)

2 Pinkies (3-4g) – feed every 5 to 6 days (Snake = 16-23g)

Small Fuzzy: 6 to 13 days old (3 - 6g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 24-30g)

Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)

Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)

Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)

Large: 4 to 6 weeks ((19 to 25g) – feed every 7 to x days (snake = 170g+)

X large: 6 months + old (350 +) – feed every 10 to x days (Snake = 170+)

So, what do people think?? Please be honest, I can take it !

xxx

Stumpy Posted - 13/01/2010 : 13:16:13
Use them as normal, just try feeding every five days as the size increases move to every seven days
sexychef Posted - 13/01/2010 : 12:31:04
thats fine. mine didnt stay on fuzzys too long
Gaz_1989 Posted - 13/01/2010 : 12:07:22
Just realised what a mouth-full all of that is, lol.

Hope someone can make some sense out of it?

Gaz

The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000